Deleted

Is Guild Wars 2 For Me?

Hey everyone!

I've been looking into GW2 a lot lately after quitting another MMO, and wasn't sure if this game would suit my play style.

I played Guild Wars 1 from pretty much the beginning, and loved every part of it but it slowly 'died' and i decided to start playing another MMO. I know that GW2 is NOT a copy of GW1, and i can tell, just by watching videos, looks so much different, so i am not expecting it to be the same.

Anyway, i'm looking for an MMO which i can play either solo or as a group, reason being is because im pretty much the only gamer out of my mates. So a lot of solo content would be great.

Is this game based on just questing? Take WoW for example, or is there more to it?

Im not into long boring raids, trying to kill a boss for hours, does GW2 have this?

Thanks for your input

I think GW2 is pretty close to perfect for the solo casual player. No matter where you go you'll always find something to do, and there are varying degrees of challenges in the world. Also, you don't need to group to do group content, as everyone gets credit for participating in an event, so if you're staring at a champion trying to decide if you want to solo it and someone else shows up, go ahead and pull because now you have your group.

I solo most of the time and I'm having a blast. Even in WvW I typically don't group and find things to do on my own (I'm a pro yakslayer).

Deleted
    Honestly no one can really answer the question. Your criteria fits a vast amount (well, the majority) of MMOs out there.

The game is based on your preference of "questing" (dynamic events and hearts), grinding (killing mobs, farming goods), dungeons, crafting, wvw and pvp.

It does not have any raids, but dungeons can be longer than you're used to. I've done dungeons in 20 minutes but I've had them take 90 minutes+ too. Dungeons are however, like most of the content, entirely optional.

If you're a casual player who enjoys MMOs you will almost certainly get your value out of the box price even if you don't find it better long-term than your previous MMO.

Deleted
    I will make a quick reply from an ex-WoW player who sharped his teeth on many different mmos and games (over 13 years of gaming experience here ) .
    IF you like to explore BEAUTIFUL areas that are truly alive (ex. mobs attacking each other like pack of wolfs on deers or monsters on caravans ect) then this game is for you.
    IF you like to play your own kind of game where you and ONLY you determine where you want to go, which quests you want to do and which area you want to explore - this game is for you
    IF you are person who like to feel your toon by creating it in a more complex way than just make random textures together + whathever name - this game is for you. I spent up to 1 hour EACH toon i create cause there is so much options you can make your toon individual and fit your own dreamed hero, rly rly GREAT job (just have a look at post your character topis on this forum to have a small rewiev what you are capable of doing here
    If you like to PLAY AND HAVE FUN whatehever you do without mindless gear grind "OMG OMG THERE IS NEW RAIDING CONTENT I MUST HAVE +XXX stats on my gear to be able to enter it" this game is for you.

I could point long and long but to summarize: if you like to enjoy the game, feel the story, have a feeling that you are part of a living, epicly visualy designed world, where you feel there is sth to do (numbers of quests who just pop up and drags you in is enormous, many times i wanted to get to ONE location and ended up like 30 miles away cause there was new event/resource/vista/point of interest/fun location to see in meantime), if you like to get the gear not only because of stats but because of awersone appereanse and you are not "ooohhh galactic first kill"playes - GO AND BUY this game.. its rly rly one of the most user friendly game made for a long long time and tbh the first MMO game i feel i play it because i TRULY LIKE to play a lot and I am not only forced to play a lot due to stupid monthly fee.... See you on EU Gandara Realm

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Honestly no one can really answer the question. Your criteria fits a vast amount (well, the majority) of MMOs out there.

The game is based on your preference of "questing" (dynamic events and hearts), grinding (killing mobs, farming goods), dungeons, crafting, wvw and pvp.

It does not have any raids, but dungeons can be longer than you're used to. I've done dungeons in 20 minutes but I've had them take 90 minutes+ too. Dungeons are however, like most of the content, entirely optional.

If you're a casual player who enjoys MMOs you will almost certainly get your value out of the box price even if you don't find it better long-term than your previous MMO.
    First time i did Arah it took me 4hrs. are couple comp was 2 warriors 3 guards. Me *a guard* and my friend* a war* went range when it was needed.

it was fun and felt like a raid to me with how hard it was..

On Topic: Its really your choice but one way to look at it is that its b2p like how guild wars 1 was. GW1 and GW2 is 2 really different games.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

my advise to you mate do not waste money fast ,, slow down - find a friend account of gw2 and try it

important note : you need to get deep in gw2 to know if it work for you or not cus begging maby is cool but when you go deep i am afrid you found some gaps or any thing not good for you

my point is , try to try it with out paying money

other thing , u did say that you like solo etc ,,, tera is cool in quests and fun but at the end it had problems in lvl 60 with less content and problems in pvp

hmmm i am realy not sure i did pass my gw2 account to a friend in USA ,, if i was have it yet i would love give u chance to try it

any way bro ,, youtube is not enough to find your home

idk what was your old mmo after gw1 but if u did like WoW so much with the content like gears etc. then gw2 is not for you maby

i hope you find your home ... there are many new good things comming in future like :

1- new expantion for rift .
    2- FF 14 arealm reborn
    3- queen patch for Tera

Rift is close to WoW as a type but it is up to you at the end .

would be good if i know what was your mmo and if you like it or not ... if you like pvp more than pve or etc

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 is not that kind of game with addictive tricks that makes you think you have to log in day after day. If you think WoW is a good game, you'll probably won't admire GW2 as I do.
    As people said, it is a more casual game, in that sense.

But I wouldn't say it is casual in the sense that it isn't easier than the other MMOs. Some people use some flaws on the game to make them easier (the famous "graveyard zerg"), but that's just a what it is: a flaw. If you try to enjoy the game rather than abuse it, the PvE content is really challenging and fun. Can't say anything about PvP cause I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MJGriffin View Post
    Is this game based on just questing? Take WoW for example, or is there more to it?

Im not into long boring raids, trying to kill a boss for hours, does GW2 have this?
    No and no.

The questing scheme is based on dynamic events, hearts and personal story.

There are no raids in GW2.

Deleted
    Thank you for the replies everyone, much appreciated

I am not looking for another 'WoW copy'. You guys have pretty much summed up what i want, a casual game with solo content.

Think im going to take the plunge and buy a copy

Thanks again!

Deleted
    And that will be one of the best spent money gaming-wise do not try to find replacement to WoW or rift or anything else, GW2 is an experience that will take you further than any other mmo At least it was and still is that way in my case. And good advice: do not let yourself into comparisons to WoW/rift/Tera/other mmo. GW2 is totally different game and it does NOT try to replace any other mmo, be any other MMo killer or any crap like that and this (among other features), in my opinion, will make this game a winner in a long term

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MJGriffin View Post
    I've been looking into GW2 a lot lately after quitting another MMO, and wasn't sure if this game would suit my play style.
    even the ones who got "bored" of the stuff they are left with at lv 80 said that gw2 is great value for the money.

I myself find it a good way to pass my few free hours once every couple of days.

my advice:
    competitive/fun raids => wow
    casual fun => gw2

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    even the ones who got "bored" of the stuff they are left with at lv 80 said that gw2 is great value for the money.

I myself find it a good way to pass my few free hours once every couple of days.

my advice:
    competitive/fun raids => wow
    casual fun => gw2
    That's...pretty much it. I'd say Rift has better raids than WoW lately, but they're very similar games.

I'm tempted to say I still prefer WoW's dungeons, but on the other hand I have a much greater sense of satsifaction when I complete a GW2 dungeon. WoW dungeons I can logon, queue, pop a dungeon and get it done in 30 mins. GW2 is more like 90-120 mins with a party of people you know and trust. The 'end game' for GW2 is dungeons in that respect.