Foxconn workers on strike, Apple pushes too hard

The underpaid, overworked Chinese workers of Foxconn have had enough, according to a new report by China Labor Watch: thousands have gone on strike over immense iPhone manufacturing pressure and fistfights with their bosses.

CLW's Executive Director, Li Qiang, says the reasons for the strike are simple: "these workers just have too much pressure." This certainly isn't the first time violence has been reported from the iPhone machine, and although the alleged 4,000 striking workers are a tiny part of Foxconn's staff in the hundreds of thousands, it could be enough to slow (or halt) iPhone 5 production. Which means you might have to wait a couple weeks longer for your blood-spattered handset.

The majority of workers who participated in this strike were workers from the OQC (onsite quality control) line. According to workers, multiple iPhone 5 production lines from various factory buildings were in a state of paralysis for the entire day. It was reported that factory management and Apple, despite design defects, raised strict quality demands on workers, including indentations standards of 0.02mm and demands related to scratches on frames and back covers. With such demands, employees could not even turn out iPhones that met the standard. This led to a tremendous amount of pressure on workers. On top of this, they were not permitted to have a vacation during the holiday. This combination of factors led to the strike.
    http://gizmodo.com/5949406/foxconn-w...=recirculation

I think I'd go crazy and go on strike too if I was being forced to go overtime on an assembly line like that. Especially when they're not allowed to go on vacation.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Great news for my father, who is a salesman for Foxconn's largest competitor.

I may have to retract earlier statements though, I always thought it was Foxxconn being a dick to their employees; sounds like Apple is trying to stretch it out with demanding requirements to their contractors.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2012-10-05 at 07:45 PM.

Foxconn is horrible. They have so many suicides they bar the windows now. Because of the difficulty in getting jobs in China, if you bitch/complain about unpaid overtime (it's NEVER paid here) they'll replace you.

Deleted
    I'm glad i'm not working at Foxconn!
    Oh, and that i ain't chineese