Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I Think I Fried My Motherboard

So I go to flip the switch on my PSU and everything turns on but less than a second later, it instantly shuts off. So I try to turn it on again and it won't turn.

Help??? (If you have any questions or if I didn't provide enough info, please feel free to ask.)

Edit: PC SPECS:

CPU:]Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler:Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Storage:Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Video Card:Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
    Case:Apevia X-Trooper (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply:Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
    Optical Drive:Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
    RAM Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB
    Last edited by Roscoe; 2012-10-05 at 09:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you put in new ram while it was on like I did?

Do you hear any beeps btw?

Dev

Sounds like it's an overheating issue most likely.
    are you overclocking?
    thermal paste properly applied to heat sink/ CPU?
    dust in your computer case?
    God and maths? Hmm, the letter to alpha relation would be 7 - 15 - 4. Since it's all one word, it's safe to assume it's multiplication so it'd be 7*15*4=420. So realistically, god is related to cannabis? Perhaps that's what they were expecting you to write.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHeart View Post
    Did you put in new ram while it was on like I did?

Do you hear any beeps btw?

Dev
    I installed everything while the PSU was disconnected from my wall.
    No, didn't hear any beeps D:

Quote Originally Posted by almaderp View Post
    Sounds like it's an overheating issue most likely.
    are you overclocking?
    thermal paste properly applied to heat sink/ CPU?
    dust in your computer case?
    I just assembled this computer for the first time about 30min ago.

I'd double check the heat sink installation, tons of things can go wrong there. and your problem sounds like a classic CPU overheating issue.
    God and maths? Hmm, the letter to alpha relation would be 7 - 15 - 4. Since it's all one word, it's safe to assume it's multiplication so it'd be 7*15*4=420. So realistically, god is related to cannabis? Perhaps that's what they were expecting you to write.

Did you forget the standoffs?
    Custom signature requests: CLOSED | PLEASE DO NOT PM ME FOR REQUESTS!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taubut View Post
    Did you forget the standoffs?
    I don't know how many standoffs it came with, but I installed 9 for an ATX Mobo

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 05:34 PM ----------

I'd double check the heat sink installation, tons of things can go wrong there. and your problem sounds like a classic CPU overheating issue.
    Hmmm this could be the issue, though I don't see anything wrong with it.

Here are a few pics of the heatsink:

http://i.imgur.com/EFu5A.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/ha4D0.jpg
    Last edited by Roscoe; 2012-10-05 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

It looks fine but the problem would most likely be with the thermal paste application, and of course you'd have to remove the heat sink and re-apply the paste to check.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks fine but the problem would most likely be with the thermal paste application, and of course you'd have to remove the heat sink and re-apply the paste to check.
    The H100 came with pre-applied thermal paste I think and I didn't buy any. There was a little of it that accidentally came off while I was installing it. Would that be an issue?

I don't know how many standoffs it came with, but I installed 9 for an ATX Mobo

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 05:34 PM ----------

You don't have your CPU power connected. That's exactly your issue. :P
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    You don't have your CPU power connected. That's exactly your issue. :P
    Good lord... if that's the problem then I will hide in a small corner for the rest of my life.

Rechecking cables now.

ALSO: I just noticed, there is one middle standoff that's missing. The rest are in place around the perimeter of the Mobo. I only go 9 though.. :\

Good lord... if that's the problem then I will hide in a small corner for the rest of my life.

Rechecking cables now.

ALSO: I just noticed, there is one middle standoff that's missing. The rest are in place around the perimeter of the Mobo. I only go 9 though.. :\
    I dont think it really matters. The last few mobos i have had i didnt have enough standoffs and i never had an issue. As long as its not touching the case

Yeah it doesn't matter as long as the motherboard isn't physically laying on the motherboard tray. One missing standoff isn't going to cause that to happen.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

The only issues you can have with standoffs are - far too few, as in 4 or less (I'd use at least six - two top, middle and bottom) or more importantly, too many. I've seen a number of self-builds where people have lost track of how many standoffs they've put on the motherboard plate, and not counted how many screws they've actually done up when the board is fitted. Result? Motherboard standoff bridging multiple RAM pins, shorting across surface-mounted devices, or (and this was really nice and charred) shorting out the 24pin.

If you know you definitely fitted 9 standoffs, make sure you have 9 screws holding the board in place. If you have 8 screws and an empty hole with no standoff under it? Oh dear.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    I found my problem. I didn't have the PSU plugged in for more than two seconds before I turned it on which caused it to instantly turn off? I don't know, but it's functional now. After that, I ran into another problem. I go to plug the monitor in to the DVI slots on the motherboard and my graphics card and still no signal. Also there's these two digits on my motherboard (29). That's telling me there must be a fault or something...

/sigh

thanks for the help though guys, I appreciate it. I'll try to figure out these problems.

Did you plug in the CPU power connector? It's clearly not in the photos you provided.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you plug in the CPU power connector? It's clearly not in the photos you provided.
    Yeah, it's plugged in. The photos don't show it though. My cable management isn't all that good so it may seem awkwardly out of place.

I found my problem. I didn't have the PSU plugged in for more than two seconds before I turned it on which caused it to instantly turn off? I don't know, but it's functional now. After that, I ran into another problem. I go to plug the monitor in to the DVI slots on the motherboard and my graphics card and still no signal. Also there's these two digits on my motherboard (29). That's telling me there must be a fault or something...
    Did you try pulling the video card out and then plugging into the onboard video?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darxide View Post
    Did you try pulling the video card out and then plugging into the onboard video?
    I have not. I will try this in the morning. Building this thing caused many headaches and growth of impatience.

Thanks! =D

The CPU power is connected. Second picture, upper left corner.

@OP, double check the sequence of error codes - does it just show 29, or other codes as well? Describe a full boot attempt.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7