Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Can someone help point out what I did wrong tonight (logs included)

I think this is the full log with our 7% attempt, but not sure since I was having log addon issues for some reason.

Anyways, I think I'm way hard to heal, but healers said I was okish. Anyone with more experience with world of logs think they could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong because at times I found myself focusing way to much on getting everything just right and being "easy" to heal, but then I forgot to do someone on the boss like a dumbass. Any help would be appreciated.

armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ngchi/advanced
    wol: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rvrakpl4qciiiler/

Not a pro at brewmaster, but your shuffle up time was only 12%. Seems sort of low for such a good avoidance buff. Also, timing up elusive brew with shuffle can be pretty huge mitigation
    Nerdrage-15 Minute Cooldown. You enter a berserker rage, increasing typing speed by 75%, chance to hit CAPS LOCK by 50% and decreasing chance to get laid by 100%. You feel no pity or remorse and can not be stopped unless banned.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    That was the part where I started focusing on keeping that up when I started being a dumbass on the boss lol. I need to set my UI up better I think to better track em and all, just I suck at creating nice, simple, effective UIs for tracking things.

Looking at try number 13, your 7 minute try. Should give a good idea of what you're doing.

You have a 57.4% uptime on Shuffle. Could be better.

You cast Guard 11 times. In a 7 minute fight, that should be 14-15 or so. Again, could be better.

Expel Harm was used 7 times. Could do with a bit more there, could've healed yourself more.

You seem to be pretty good on collecting Gift of the Ox orbs though, quite a lot of healing done there.

99 stacks of Elusive Brew vs. 23 uses of it means a 4.3 second average duration. Seems a bit low to me: instead of spamming it, maybe try saving it up? Let it get to 10 stacks or so, then use it. Could work out better for you.

You never went to a heavy stagger, always to moderate, so you're pretty good at purifying stagger. Moderate never lasted long either.

I'd say you did alright. Room for improvement, but could be a lot worse!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think at one point at the 7min try though I was doing nothing but purifying stagger, like nothing else at all because it was getting to high really fast. But other than that, basically just work on keeping my shuffle up more and my guard and expel harm up more right?

Try Monk timers http://www.wowinterface.com/download...onkTimers.html very good addon for tracking imporant buffs/debuffs for monks
    Nerdrage-15 Minute Cooldown. You enter a berserker rage, increasing typing speed by 75%, chance to hit CAPS LOCK by 50% and decreasing chance to get laid by 100%. You feel no pity or remorse and can not be stopped unless banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by galook View Post
    I think at one point at the 7min try though I was doing nothing but purifying stagger, like nothing else at all because it was getting to high really fast. But other than that, basically just work on keeping my shuffle up more and my guard and expel harm up more right?
    Based on your uptime and CD useage I think this may have resulted from low Shuffle uptime. Yes it adds 20% to your stagger but don't forget it is also adding +20% parry as well. Having run an avoidance DK you would be amazed how just 5% dodge/parry can make a huge difference in the amount of overall damage you take.

It becomes a nasty cycle, you start getting hit more which boost your stagger so you start blowing Chi on stagger but lets your parry drop resulting in more hits resulting in more moderate/heavy stagger stages. I'd suggest focusing on getting stagger up more often which should allow you time to build up the 1 Chi to clear the stagger and hopefully delay when it needs to be cleared again.

Just watch the logs to make sure the dots aren't killing you and try to get Expel Harm usage up (only 7 out of 28 possible times) since that could heal a stagger tick + generate the 1 chi to clear it.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

-Accidentally posted here-

Picked up brewmaster a few days ago after dpsing and you'd be amazed how much shuffle helps, even on most aoe pulls in heroics I have a up time of 90%. Remember shuffles stacks up to I think 30seconds. So on pull I'm using keg smash and BoK, than with power strikes talent after a jab I'm back up to 2 chi and another BoK. Start building your shuffle up at the beginning of a fight and you should never have problems with it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 10:16 AM ----------

One more thing. With any new class it takes awhile to grasp all the aspects of said class. Stay with it. When I first picked it up I was like, "there's so many things to watch." But when you get playing and used to it. It will start to simplfy, and you'll really start enjoying the class even more and you'll really like its full potential. I went from healers saying it was hard and I was spiky. To them saying it's really easy to keep me up. Unless I pull to much, lol.

You have no meta gem, no belt buckle, and you're going for socket bonuses. That agi gem in your pants is better served with a haste or expertise gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Schaden View Post
    That agi gem in your pants is better served with a haste or expertise gem.
    that's what she said

Post constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-10-03 at 09:19 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll replace that then. And no meta because I really didn't want to spend 3.2k gold on a meta for a 376, but now that I actually seen them go down I'm going to do it.

Now, agi or stam meta?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just finished raiding tonight again and I was looking at my shuffle uptime and it's a bit better, still damn low at 41% =/.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/lcnp20nn66wqf9zk/

Deleted
    No one seem to have commented on your gear really. You need to get rid of that 0.7% too much hit you got and turn it into haste.. Remove your agi gems and replace them with haste. Also you're 0.5% over hard expertise cap. Get rid of some of it. I dont think there's a reason to go over 10% expertise. soft cap should be enough even. Replace it with haste.

So the reason you want this much haste is for energy regen, aswell as more auto attacks. The more haste, will will almost make up for the expertise lost. But more importantly is the energy regen. More energy regen means more jab and keg smash, which in return means more chi generated. With more chi generate, you will be able to hold your shuffle up much much better. And then reforge your Signet of dancing jade ring crit - haste

This is my 2 cent. Try it out if you want.

Hope it helps, and let me know how it worked if you try it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Looking at try number 13, your 7 minute try. Should give a good idea of what you're doing.

You have a 57.4% uptime on Shuffle. Could be better.

You cast Guard 11 times. In a 7 minute fight, that should be 14-15 or so. Again, could be better.

Expel Harm was used 7 times. Could do with a bit more there, could've healed yourself more.

You seem to be pretty good on collecting Gift of the Ox orbs though, quite a lot of healing done there.

99 stacks of Elusive Brew vs. 23 uses of it means a 4.3 second average duration. Seems a bit low to me: instead of spamming it, maybe try saving it up? Let it get to 10 stacks or so, then use it. Could work out better for you.

You never went to a heavy stagger, always to moderate, so you're pretty good at purifying stagger. Moderate never lasted long either.

I'd say you did alright. Room for improvement, but could be a lot worse!
    This pretty much summed it up. Though I want to point out that Shuffle should ideally have 100% uptime, that's your way of getting "block-capped". Also, you could try out healing elixirs instead of dampen harm, especially on a boss where the dots do the most tank spikes. You did an excellent job though to clear the stagger debuffs, that's first priority.

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 01:03 PM ----------

Oh, forgot to mention, you don't need agi as a tank. Zero. You get your ap through vengence and your avoidence through shuffle and elusive brew. Spend your sec stats in haste (till you can keep shuffle 100% up) and mastery, and primary stats goes to stamina (which scales with healing elixirs too). Armor pots are really strong for monks, since your base armor would be like 15k or something, so that 12k extra armor would get much less DR compared to other tanks, and they're pretty handy as well, loads of them in the AH for 80S on my server.
    Last edited by mmocd512434992; 2012-10-05 at 11:05 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll tweak my reforging then. Even at hard cap expertise I feel like my attacks are missing for some reason and that's why my Shuffle uptime isn't better, but I know that's impossible since I am capped and all that. Should I just drop back to 8% expertise until I get more gear so I'm not losing so much in haste or what?

And I thought haste only gave us a VERY little amount of energy regen, because it hardly moves any =/.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just finished raiding tonight again and I was looking at my shuffle uptime and it's a bit better, still damn low at 41% =/.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/lcnp20nn66wqf9zk/
    Your 8:13 Feng fight had a 75% uptime on Shuffle which is a big improvement and 82% on Stone Guard kill, these still should be 90%+ IMO. Feng 25% of your Guard's were regular instead of Power Guard's but the total uptime of both was 92% which is pretty good. On your Stone Guard kill PG was 95% though.

You still only used Expel Harm 18 out of ~26-32 possible times, your leaving a lot of self healing on the table. Try to be using this as soon as it's off CD and your not full life + chi capped. It's basically healing Jab.

The notes about reforging are accurate but the amount of haste you are missing out on is so small it's not really the root of any problems you are having.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    So basically I just need to get better at keeping those uptimes. What was my stagger like, because healers were saying I was spikey at times.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically I just need to get better at keeping those uptimes. What was my stagger like, because healers were saying I was spikey at times.
    18.4% or ~73 seconds of Moderate Stagger on Stone Guard. Don't have enough experience to say but that doesn't seem bad to me.

I really think your low Shuffle uptime is the heart of the issue, remember my last post indicates that you spent 25% of the fight missing 30% parry and the extra Stagger transfer. So ~55 melee swings per Guard occurred over that period and you would have parried roughly 16-17 of them on average @ 22620 damage per hit. Assuming you are tanking 2 Guard's at a time for the duration of the fight that is 16 * 22620 * 2 = 723840 extra damage that could have been avoided.

The above only considers the parry buff and not even what the additional 20% Stagger + PB clears damage could have been saved (I'm trying to find PB useage I hope you don't have to use the Expression Editor for that... I'm rusty).
    [/URL]

Deleted
    I'll tweak my reforging then. Even at hard cap expertise I feel like my attacks are missing for some reason and that's why my Shuffle uptime isn't better, but I know that's impossible since I am capped and all that. Should I just drop back to 8% expertise until I get more gear so I'm not losing so much in haste or what?

And I thought haste only gave us a VERY little amount of energy regen, because it hardly moves any =/.
    It does give very little energy regen. But crit also gives very little crit. More swings per minutes, also helps on the crit tho, aswell as energy regen.

More energy regen will give you more shuffle uptime tho. For this to be true tho, ofcourse you need to manage your resources good.. NEVER generate chi if you'll get over cap. ALWAYS use keg smash > jab if you're getting close to energy cap..

If you just follow these rules you will see you can get shuffle to close to 80% uptime, while still using guard, expell harm, elusive brew and perifying brew when needed

About the expertise. I haven't had enough actual raid resting to be sure to where exactly expertise stops being better than haste. I think 7.5% tho which is cap for both hit and expertise now.

And haste > crit > avoidance > mastery should be your stat priority after getting hit and expertise
    Last edited by mmoc9c8a116f72; 2012-10-05 at 10:24 PM.