Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    People you can try but the OP does have a point. BS in this expansion is pretty much fully dependant on a material made through Alchemy, even those stupid Belt Buckles which really surprised me. It's a dumb enchant that gives you one extra puny gem and you have to go through so much trouble to get it...

It's nothing like other professions occasionaly needing something else from other crafting professions (meta gems for JWC).

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    JC in turn requires Alch for meta gems.
    I completely forgot about meta gems. And really, the gem transmutes (except for metas) are the same as a BS getting elementium bars from an alchemist (not sure what an alchemist makes other than living steel in Pandaria, as I haven't gotten it). And I don't think that gem transmutes are really that required for leveling Alchemy. So in a way, Alchemy only needs herbalism for it's crafted items that can't be obtained with other means, except for living steel.

I honestly wouldn't really mind the things like living steel and truegold coming from an alchemist if people didn't charge so damn much for the stuff. It jacks up the prices for the crafted items that need the material, which turns people off from purchasing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I completely forgot about meta gems. And really, the gem transmutes (except for metas) are the same as a BS getting elementium bars from an alchemist (not sure what an alchemist makes other than living steel in Pandaria, as I haven't gotten it). And I don't think that gem transmutes are really that required for leveling Alchemy. So in a way, Alchemy only needs herbalism for it's crafted items that can't be obtained with other means, except for living steel.

I honestly wouldn't really mind the things like living steel and truegold coming from an alchemist if people didn't charge so damn much for the stuff. It jacks up the prices for the crafted items that need the material, which turns people off from purchasing them.
    Alchemy and JC are actually really intermingled

JC gives blue quality raw gems to alchemy which transmutes them into primal diamonds which are cut by JC into meta gems.

On my realm the price for Living Steel is about the same as the price for 6 trillium bars. This will equal out over time on lower pop realms too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Ghost iron bars cost approx. 250g for a stack of 20
    you need 60 bars to make 6x trillium
    you need 6 trillium to make 1x living steel

sell the ghost iron bars for less so the end product costs less.... you only have yourself (or other miners) to blame....

I wouldn't even mind so much if it was just for the epics, but they went full retard and decided to require them for belt buckles and weapon chains as well.

Living steel for belt socket is beyond full retard.

It should be 2-3 trillium bars at most.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emane View Post
    So you are dependant on another profession, just like Alchemy is dependant on Herbalism/Fishing. JC dependant on Mining, inscription dependant on herbalism.

I do guess thou that a profession being dependant on two other professions is kinda weird.

But in the meantime.

WTS Living Steel transmute.
    blacksmithing relies on mining and alchemy. we can't have 3 professions so it's impossible to make any peice of epic gear by ourselves.

Deleted
    This is blizzards new concept, which sucks. I think the reason behind this is that blizz doesn’t want ppl to make too much gold this expansion, at least not by playing the AH the way you could in cata.
    All the ‘normal’ mats like herbs, ores and cloth are quite cheap because they are so easy to get. With the changes to Ench and JC (upgrade dust to essences, perfectly cut common gems have the same stats as rare gems) blizz made sure that you can’t make that much gold with these items.
    On the other hand, if you want to craft something valuable you need at least one rare item. And we all know how rare lotus or trillium is, so you have to spend quite a lot of gold for this, and you can’t really mass produce anything like epics or even belt buckles because you are either bound to a 24h cd (living steel, imperial silk) or you are bound to spirit of harmony.

Deleted
    This doesn't stop you making gold it just stops it for anybody other than alchemists.

Alchemy already can make a lot of money on flask consumables for raids alone, add in that JC meta gems are required from it and the steel it is THE money making crafting profession.

Deleted
    Living steel for belt socket is poor design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alchemy alts are your best friend. I hate leveling alts so much, but it was my only drive to make my priest and second paladin...
    My druid kinda coasted on through from BC to the end of Wrath somehow making it to 80 just through casually wandering.

I'll agree for the BELT BUCKLE though that's kind of shit. It should be trillium.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

when was blacksmithing not dependant on another profession?

mining. I don't think you can make the living steel with it but still, if you're going to complain "my blacksmithing requires another profession to make high end gears!" then why did you do it now and not 8 years ago?

also, you can level an alchemist to 600 without any spirits of harmony and you don't need one for the living steel cd at all. it's easy to make an alchemist alt, and insanely profitable.

Edit: as for "jacking up living steel prices" remember it's a 1 day cd. There is going to be a finite number in the market at any given time that is in relation to the number of alchemists making them multiplied by the number of days since mop hit minus how many have been used in crafting. or this...

(# of alch on server)*(days since mop hit)-(living steel used in crafting)=how many are in the market.

it's a finite thing so they're going to be pricey, but that also means your living steel belt buckles and all that are going to be fairly profitable as well.
    Last edited by Chireru93; 2012-10-08 at 09:17 AM.

I suppose I'd take this more seriously if, y'know, the exact same mechanic hadn't been used in every expansion so far. It was even in Vanilla!

Alchemy also happens to be one of the cheapest professions to level up, probably intentional. Make an alt, level it to 85 (really not difficult these days, I blasted my Monk to level 85 in under 2 days of /played time), then buy some MoP herbs from the AH to skill it up.

Either that or rely on the AH, or guildies. Your choice.

I need living steel to make eng goggles and to make blingtron ;_; shit blows.

As in reall life every proff comes in handy with another.So stop complain and do what many players do(as i do).Alt with alchemy,and u must be happy transmute have only 24hours cd than 1 week like old days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by parkerlynne View Post
    You'd think none of you played in cata...
    You do know belt buckles didn't require Truegold back in Cata, right? This expansion it seems to require the expensive material to create the belt buckle - which screws over Blacksmith since we've always had the materials from Mining to make them. It's bad design on their part to suddenly make it require an expensive mat.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=55656 - Wrath belt buckle made by Blacksmith.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=76439 - Cataclysm belt buckle made by Blacksmith.

Notice how they both don't use an expensive material other than Motes? It's bullshit.. Why do it now instead of 2 expansions ago?
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2012-10-08 at 09:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chireru93 View Post
    when was blacksmithing not dependant on another profession?

mining. I don't think you can make the living steel with it but still, if you're going to complain "my blacksmithing requires another profession to make high end gears!" then why did you do it now and not 8 years ago?
    Mining is not alchemy. Alchemy requires its own gathering profession to back. Blacksmithing, or engineering, or any other profession, should not require another full fledged crafting profession to skim by being useful, especially with something like a day-long cooldown material with its own expensive costs.

Like I mentioned earlier, how do you think alchemists would like it if their trinkets or guild cauldrons required five or six Mechanical Pandaren Dragonlings to craft (Four ghost iron bars, six trillium bars, and two spirits of harmony)? So yep, they have to glean both an engineer and a mining alt, or pay out the wazoo to acquire the materials (and the cost would still likely be less than living steel goes for now.) And there's no arguing that this would somehow be "different," it's the EXACT. SAME. THING.

also, you can level an alchemist to 600 without any spirits of harmony and you don't need one for the living steel cd at all. it's easy to make an alchemist alt, and insanely profitable.
    I shouldn't HAVE to level alchemy just to make it in another profession. Personally, I don't like leveling more than once, and I leveled an engineer, not an alchemist. And unless alchemists are in turn deathly reliant upon me, I don't see much balance in that system. That someone lucked into having an alchemist before hand and is now able to profit off the situation does not give them ground to start saying "this is a just and novel idea"

it's a finite thing so they're going to be pricey, but that also means your living steel belt buckles and all that are going to be fairly profitable as well.
    In the same way that crafting mekgineer's choppers or Sandstone drakes are "fairly profitable" if you can sell them. It's a high investment cost that you pay to someone else (in the case of living steel, 100% to actual other players) in hopes that you might be able to sell it, let's say the belt buckles, for something that turns out to be a profit. And with changing AH prices, and the fact that every other BS will be clambering to put them out there, the price you paid for the non-fixed price of living steel transmutes can act to severely cut your profit margin, or even make it almost non-existent. All while the alchemist is completely unencumbered. It's a lousy design, no two ways about it.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2012-10-08 at 09:48 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

was bad design back then, is still bad design now.
    blacksmiths should be the ones with the cooldown to create the required material used by their proffesion.
    same goes for any other proff, JC should have the ability to fuse gems into higher forms, eng should have the ability to extract motes from clouds again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    was bad design back then, is still bad design now.
    blacksmiths should be the ones with the cooldown to create the required material used by their proffesion.
    same goes for any other proff, JC should have the ability to fuse gems into higher forms, eng should have the ability to extract motes from clouds again.
    I miss this.

that's why you have alts

otherwise that's how the economy works, professions need other professions.