Deleted

Playing a Death Knight -> Tap Tap Revolution ?

Anyone else getting the feeling they are playing TTR when performing your "rotation" ?
    With runes randomly popping up and runic power generation being fairly random as well i cant help but feel the resemblance.
    TTR because theres extra moves like shaking or tilting your phone to use your cooldowns !

Seems like an april fools joke run wild !

macobserver.com/gamingnews/2008/04/20080401bard.jpg

Oh btw this does not judge the system it just observes it ^^

15+ Year Old Account
    What spec has a random RP generation? All three specs are fairly consistent as far as I can see.

Heck, as Blood I've got more control over my abilities than I ever had during Cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    runic empowerment does make it somewhat random

Runes don't randomly pop up, they pop up when runic empowerment triggers or when you use blood tap or plague leech. You won't always know which one you're getting, but you will most of the time.

Runic power generation isn't random at all.

Deleted
    When you land a damaging Death Coil, Frost Strike, or Rune Strike, you have a 45% chance to activate a random fully-depleted rune.

Its a random chance for random hows that not random XD ?

The when you land a damaging death coil, frost strike or rune strike part is the part that's not random.

You always know when runic empowerment is going to have an opportunity to trigger, it just doesn't always trigger.

It doesn't pull runes out of nowhere at random times.

You know that runic empowerment gaming is a thing, right?

Oh and rhythm games aren't random either, memorisation is a big part of playing them at a high level.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2012-10-07 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane49 View Post
    When you land a damaging Death Coil, Frost Strike, or Rune Strike, you have a 45% chance to activate a random fully-depleted rune.

Its a random chance for random hows that not random XD ?
    It works the same way it always did for Blood and Frost in Cata. It restores a FULLY depleted rune (Which means both Frost down, both Unholy, or both Death). That was part of the game for optimizing Frost all through Cata. They would have to keep an eye on which of their rune sets were completely down so that the next frost strike would get them the right rune for using obliterate. Or ANY rune for that matter. Using Frost Strike while having no empty sets would not refresh a rune. Holding frost strike could lead to RP capping. Using in willy nilly could have left them in a situation where they had two frost runes fully recharged, but no death or unholy ready to launch obliterates.

If you don't want that level of resource micro-management, then Runic Empowerment isn't the talent for you. That entire tier is about playstyle. Take the more active random refresh of blood tap, random passive refresh of runic empowerment, or the not random speed up of runic corruption.
    Last edited by Luneward; 2012-10-07 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Reformatting my thoughts

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luneward View Post
    It works the same way it always did for Blood and Frost in Cata. It restores a FULLY depleted rune (Which means both Frost down, both Unholy, or both Death). That was part of the game for optimizing Frost all through Cata. They would have to keep an eye on which of their rune sets were completely down so that the next frost strike would get them the right rune for using obliterate. Using in willy nilly could have left them in a situation where they had two frost runes fully recharged, but no death or unholy ready to launch obliterates. If you don't want that level of resource micro-management, then Runic Empowerment isn't the talent for you. That entire tier is about playstyle.
    I never said i didnt like it just that it reminds me of tap tap revolution, i even explicitly stated in the first post that it was an obervation and not judgement.

Rune timers, runes popping up, proccs that enable abilities to be used outside of the normal rotation just feel like im playing a song to the beat called global cooldown.
    Last edited by mmoc78c97bc234; 2012-10-07 at 11:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane49 View Post
    I never said i didnt like it just that it reminds me of tap tap revolution, i even explicitly stated in the first post that it was an obervation and not judgement.

Rune timers, runes popping up, proccs that enable abilities to be used outside of the normal rotation just feel like im playing a song to the beat called global cooldown.
    You're still sort of missing the point.
    Sure it's "random" whether or not it procs. But you can essentially force it to proc if you play the spec right. It's actually the top thing that makes Blood DK's fun in my opinion.

Here; ElitistJerks sums it up very nicely.
    For survival, we want Runic Empowerment to only proc Frost, Unholy or Death Runes for us so that we can use these to fuel more Death Strikes. Unfortunately, Runic Empowerment on it's own will not differentiate between fully depleted Runes and can return Blood Runes - unless you game it. Here is how:

This is the base layout for the Runes. I am using a block format since that groups the respective Rune pairs visually.

We have to create Rune states where only one one of our Blood Runes is on CD* but atleast 3 Death/Frost/Unholy Runes so that our Rune Strikes can only proc the Death, Frost or Unholy Rune. Most of the time, you will have all 4 of these Runes on CD because Death Striking puts them on CD 2 at a time. Typically, it will look like this:

A Rune state that is ideal for RE gaming because it will only proc Death Runes

Every Rune Strike now has a 45% chance to proc a Death Rune and no chance at all to proc the Blood Rune (because it's pair is still off CD). Note that Runic Empowerment always has a 45% chance regardless of how many Runes pairs you have on CD. It doesn't matter that 2 Death Rune pairs on CD - the chance is still 45%.
    In this particular scenario, we now have 4 seconds to use our Rune Strikes and no longer. Once the top row of Death Runes cools down, we have to start anew and try to recreate this Rune state again before we continue using Rune Strikes.

*While you can simplify things by never using Blood Runes at all, I recommend against doing this. Not only is this a waste of DPS but you also lose 10 RP per unspent Blood Rune. Practice with atleast one Blood Rune always on CD and I promise that after a while you can game Runic Empowerment so well that you will even be able to put both Blood Runes on CD at once because you know you can afford to wait until one has cooled down before you use Rune Strikes - all without capping on Runic Power.

Blood Tap isn't random.

Anyone else feel like these explanations are a little over complicated? Runes even with RE aren't hard to manage, gaming runes is as simple as holding 1 Blood or 1 Unholy rune so RE doesn't refresh them. Managing runic power is as simple as not letting it cap out. Achieving optimal DPS is as simple as spending Runes over RP unless it would take you over the cap and using the right spells at the right time.

Since the loss of old BT there really isn't any micromanagement aside from Plague Leech and well......I'm not all that impressed with it as Frost since you require a Rime proc to use it at all or you lose an Obliterate and in ideal situations you need a Rime proc with >5 secs before Blood Plague expires.....it's just a bit specific, although I guess if you use it more or less off CD it should be a net gain in Runes. It doesn't even work particularly well when you want to AoE either because you may aswell drop DnD over a Plague Strike so you can't apply BP for >10secs as you need to hold the other UH rune to game Frost/Death runes for HB spam.

Learning to predict burst and holding DS's isn't something you need to worry about and in most cases your better off just spamming away unless you know a nuke is inc because leaving runes unspent means less resources generated overall. You don't have to be Raegwyn or Mionelol to have success as a Blood DK, just be sensible....hell be a good tank and do what any other tank does.

Don't get me wrong Runes are more nuanced than most resource system but they aren't actually complicated to manage or spend appropriately. Explaining the technicalities of them can get a bit long winded....alot like this post lol.