Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ...
15
23
24
25
26
27
... LastLast
  1. #481
    Dreadlord Silver-Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Far, Far Away.
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    You have the Night Elves with a very East Asian architecture, as well as a Bushido-like code of honor and fighting.

    You have Jamaican trolls, which are hardly "Western."

    You have the Russian Draenei.

    You have the Gnomes with no real cultural background, just "technophiles."

    Yes, the Tauren give off Native American vibes, but it could just as easily be any of a number of nomadic, tribal cultures throughout history and across the world.

    Orcs don't really have a clear delineation for their cultural heritage. Huns or other "barbarian" cultures may be the closest fit, but it's not real clear.

    Humans, Undead, Worgen, and Dwarves are the only ones that are really clearly "western."
    All true, yes and I agree.

    The point I'm making really is that we're so familiar with all those races that Pandaren feel out of place because we've never really seen much if anything of them until now. Prior to mists, without a statement from Blizzard, their existence was debatable.

    Hence I think Blizzard wanted to make them feel different. Make them feel apart from the Horde and Alliance races to feel borderline 'alien' to players to make experience all the more... um, "fresh" I guess.

  2. #482
    The fact just is that some people, like me, really really dislike the concept of "furries".

    So I dislike pandas and even worgen with a passion. For whatever reason Tauren don't give me negative vibes as badly as pandas and worgen do.

    I absolutely don't mind Draenei and love how the female models look ingame. Sexy stuff. But pandas make me think: "fuck this sh*t!" and are way over the top on the "furry"-scale and the only reason why I really didn't want them to become part of the warcraft universe. I'd rather have them remained mysterious and as NPCs.

    The damn female pandas look like the Rescue Rangers... and creep me the fuck out. (Luckily with some simple game setting tweaks you can make the pandaren and worgen races look like another race).

  3. #483
    Fluffy Kitten Callei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground
    Posts
    9,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Congelatore View Post
    They gained traction because of fanboys as was previously mentioned. They discussed the Panda race at length in the CE DVD. They were never intended for WoW. They were only an April fool's prank that gained transaction once people liked how they looked and a Blizzard artist continued to create artwork for them.

    An April fool's joke ballooned into a joke of new playable race. Unfortunately, it is here to stay.
    In other words, it gained traction because the fanbase really liked the idea? How dare Blizzard include the most-often-requested race in the game's history in an expansion that feels a lot like an apology letter for Cataclysm.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 01:47 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    clearly you overlook all the undead and even lich's that have been present in the World of since 1..
    Pandaren had more lore in BC's days thanks to the tabletop RPG than draenei have had since Warcraft 3. Thanks to Pandaria, they have more lore than the Gilnean worgen, gnomes, Bilgewater goblins, tauren, Darkspear Trolls, and several NPC races like the val'kyr and the tuskarr.

    Pandaria being so markedly different from the rest of Azeroth is the result of ten thousand years' worth of cultural evolution in complete isolation, in a situation where emotional extremes materialize as powerful, hostile entities that go on a rampage and damage the land. The entire idea is that it's a jarring difference so that the Alliance-Horde war igniting in 5.1 is put in even stronger relief than it would in the Shattering-torn Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor.

    Also, Chen being optional is irrelevant, he's been canon for as long as the Lich King has--and until recently (as in, within the last two years recently) the RPG was canon, and that RPG was a treasure trove of pandaren lore (some of which has been cannibalized into Pandaria's canon).

    Awesome sig by Elyaan is awesome.

  4. #484
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Pandaren had more lore in BC's days thanks to the tabletop RPG than draenei have had since Warcraft 3. Thanks to Pandaria, they have more lore than the Gilnean worgen, gnomes, Bilgewater goblins, tauren, Darkspear Trolls, and several NPC races like the val'kyr and the tuskarr.

    Pandaria being so markedly different from the rest of Azeroth is the result of ten thousand years' worth of cultural evolution in complete isolation, in a situation where emotional extremes materialize as powerful, hostile entities that go on a rampage and damage the land. The entire idea is that it's a jarring difference so that the Alliance-Horde war igniting in 5.1 is put in even stronger relief than it would in the Shattering-torn Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor.

    Also, Chen being optional is irrelevant, he's been canon for as long as the Lich King has--and until recently (as in, within the last two years recently) the RPG was canon, and that RPG was a treasure trove of pandaren lore (some of which has been cannibalized into Pandaria's canon).
    To expand on this, as well, the RPG books are considered non-canon only as long as they aren't referenced within the game/novels. We're now seeing a lot of Pandaren lore from the RPG books manifest in-game, so it's obvious that on the subject of Pandaren, the RPG is at least somewhat canon.

    3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

  5. #485
    Bloodsail Admiral rashen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Sorta agree.

    Pandaren feel out of place in the game. To me it's obvious that they were an easter egg / april fools joke...

    Yesterday I was doing a dungeon run with a blood elf death knight, undead warlock, orc warrior, troll priest, tauren druid and panda mage... The panda mage really was the odd one out in the picture.
    What kind of dungeon are you running? As far as im aware there can only be 5 people in a instance and not 6 like your claiming, heck you mean 7 people in 1 instance since you seem to be hinting at other players and not mentioning your own character.
    Last edited by rashen; 2012-10-09 at 06:24 AM.

  6. #486
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    What kind of dungeon are you running? As far as im aware there can only be 5 people in a instance and not 6 like your claiming.
    This was funny the first 5 or 6 times it got brought up in the last 26 pages. The discussion has moved on since then. Please drop it.

    3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

  7. #487
    Bloodsail Admiral rashen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    This was funny the first 5 or 6 times it got brought up in the last 26 pages. The discussion has moved on since then. Please drop it.
    Not gonna read 25 pages before answering to a post on the first page, sorry but no.

  8. #488
    Blademaster Shiandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA | Alleria | Alliance
    Posts
    27
    Personally I'm glad for the Pandarian.
    I'm all for conflict, but the Horde vs Alliance stuff has gotten stale for me, time to move on and make a new kind of war.
    Yes, making the alliance and horde one faction would play hell on PvP, but what about adding one or even two new factions to create new chaos?
    Doubt they'll do that, but I am excited by what Wraithion hinted at.
    On top of it all I am glad that Horde has a new race that isn't green, seriously I hate orcs, goblins and trolls and Bloodelves now have competition.
    I've not tried a Monk yet, but from what I have seen and heard they are pretty fun.
    Plenty of conflict brewing to satisfy all my bloodthirsty cravings and in the meantime my cute Panda hunter will be killing hordes of gazelle in vale of two moons to steal their skin and sell on the AH.

    Sit back and wait patiently impatient for the carnage!

  9. #489
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    Not gonna read 26 pages before answering to a post on the first page, sorry but no.
    Then don't reply to something on the first page. More than likely, something on the first page has been hashed out well before the thread reaches 26 pages.

    3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

  10. #490
    Fluffy Kitten Callei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground
    Posts
    9,686
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    What kind of dungeon are you running? As far as im aware there can only be 5 people in a instance and not 6 like your claiming, heck you mean 7 people in 1 instance since you seem to be hinting at other players and not mentioning your own character.
    Gonna play devil's advocate here and guess that maybe Rochana also listed people who dropped out of the group during the dungeon itself.

    Awesome sig by Elyaan is awesome.

  11. #491
    Dreadlord Winterstrife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Azeroth/Tyria
    Posts
    831
    25 pages of why Pandaren shouldn't be in-game? Wtf man...
    People have been asking for Pandaren to be maybe a playable race since their appearance in WC3:FT, there were even plenty of fan art just based of ONE neutral hero & now we get an entire expansion devoted mainly to this race... & people bitch about it?
    Do people just have split personalities? Or are people up in arms because its an Asian themed expansion?

  12. #492
    The Patient
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    In your air conditioning
    Posts
    265
    The fact just is that some people, like me, really really dislike the concept of "furries".

    So I dislike pandas and even worgen with a passion.

    I absolutely don't mind Draenei and love how the female models look ingame. Sexy stuff.
    ....So that last part you said made everything in your post invaild, Good job.
    GC : Reclaimer, Everything you say is real and I respect you because you tell it.
    Reclaimer : When you say " Plz " instead of please, I say " No " because its shorter than Yes.
    Relliks : Dude, Reclaimer's fucking epic. He's got the right to quote himself.

  13. #493
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    What kind of dungeon are you running? As far as im aware there can only be 5 people in a instance and not 6 like your claiming, heck you mean 7 people in 1 instance since you seem to be hinting at other players and not mentioning your own character.
    I was indeed listing people that dropped out halfway the dungeon as I already answered halfway the page and the orc warrior was my character.

    I mean there is a reason why at one point the artist made the concept art as a "joke" back then. Even he must've felt back then that the character somewhat felt out of place or might not be happily received. We're talking about early WC3 days here though where the genre was a lot more defined and within stricter constraints than it is now. The lore is a lot more loose and many concessions have been made to the lore to make certain things acceptable and explainable. Back then WC3 was all about humans, orcs, undead and as newest most experimental addition night elves. (Whose lore presumably also didn't exist at all before WC3).

    Some people, like me, strongly preferred -that- theme and -that- lore over the current one. So some people will not like it when something that was considered as one-off 'art joke' back then because of the theme and mindset of then, does get added now.

    It's just personal opinion and I doubt my personal opinion is going to change anything. But I'm still not going to like the pandaren race. :P

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 06:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    ....So that last part you said made everything in your post invaild, Good job.
    Personal opinions are invalid now? Ok. ?? I'm going to assume you were making a joke ...

  14. #494
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I was indeed listing people that dropped out halfway the dungeon as I already answered halfway the page and the orc warrior was my character.

    I mean there is a reason why at one point the artist made the concept art as a "joke" back then. Even he must've felt back then that the character somewhat felt out of place or might not be happily received. We're talking about early WC3 days here though where the genre was a lot more defined and within stricter constraints than it is now. The lore is a lot more loose and many concessions have been made to the lore to make certain things acceptable and explainable. Back then WC3 was all about humans, orcs, undead and as newest most experimental addition night elves. (Whose lore presumably also didn't exist at all before WC3).

    Some people, like me, strongly preferred -that- theme and -that- lore over the current one. So some people will not like it when something that was considered as one-off 'art joke' back then because of the theme and mindset of then, does get added now.

    It's just personal opinion and I doubt my personal opinion is going to change anything. But I'm still not going to like the pandaren race. :P

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 06:51 AM ----------



    Personal opinions are invalid now? Ok. ?? I'm going to assume you were making a joke ...
    Ummm Samwise didn't draw them as a "joke" back then. The first art he drew of the Pandaren done for Christmas after the birth of his daughter. He didn't go "I wanna make a joke race". To the person who created them, he never looked at them as a joke, at least the way he talks about them anyways.

    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/21/wo...ally-bringing/

  15. #495
    Neither were gnomes but they got in somehow

  16. #496
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    WRONG!

    Both of those units are from the same game, Warcraft 2. The flying machine in Warcraft 3 is a dwarf.

    Try 9 years. The joke they admitted to was that before Warcraft 3's release they said Pandaren would be the final playable race (which we later found out to be the undead).

    THAT was the joke.

    Their inclusion in the expansion was not.
    "Strangely, the gnomes refused to send any personnel to aid their allies during the Burning Legion's invasion during the Third War. Though their designs also helped turning the tide against the Legion," The unit was designed by gnomes piloted by dwarves, but yes I did a mistake there is no direct unit gnome in warcraft3

    As for pandas as 4th race, I want a link as proof because I remember every stage of warcraft3 there was no mention at all about pandas as 4th race ever (I even remember early beta where human and orcs build building same style as warcraft2, not to mention there was units in horde in demo that didn't make it to live game)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    No matter what Blizzard does, there will always have people complaining. They could add a Argus expansion like "everybody" wants and there will still be complaining. There is no true direction for this game.
    I don't see complains from Argus itself (however they will argue about other things like Sargeras shouldn't be fight-able at all etc), pandas made controversial talk first time after Draenei, and unlike BC time where they used to respect us (first and only time Metzen posted on forums and apologized), they didn't say any comment at all


    Quote Originally Posted by Winterstrife View Post
    25 pages of why Pandaren shouldn't be in-game? Wtf man...
    People have been asking for Pandaren to be maybe a playable race since their appearance in WC3:FT, there were even plenty of fan art just based of ONE neutral hero & now we get an entire expansion devoted mainly to this race... & people bitch about it?
    Do people just have split personalities? Or are people up in arms because its an Asian themed expansion?
    People were asking for pandas as playable race before even wow was in alpha stage... yeah right
    I was a fan of pandas as a joke, a comical relief, but not to have a complete expansion built around them
    Last edited by sam86; 2012-10-09 at 07:05 AM.

  17. #497
    Legendary! Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    6,176
    You know the argument is not "there was one Pandaren in WC3 so it's ok to put them into WoW and nobody can complain."
    People usually just pull the "Chen was in WC3"-thing to adress two claims.

    1. WoW is copied from Kung Fu Panda
    2. They don't fit the universe

    Both claims make no sense considering 1.) there was a Pandaren in the universe long before KFP was created and 2.) there was a Pandaren in Warcraft lore before WoW was created.

    They are definitely very different from the other WoW races. But that's a good thing. Why add another race that doesn't distinguish themselves.
    I think when the Worgen came out people said "what werewolves in WoW? they don't fit in, only kids and twilight fags will play them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince McMahon
    Puke is good. Puke is nice. It fits the WWF Attitude.

  18. #498
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    You know the argument is not "there was one Pandaren in WC3 so it's ok to put them into WoW and nobody can complain."
    People usually just pull the "Chen was in WC3"-thing to adress two claims.

    1. WoW is copied from Kung Fu Panda
    2. They don't fit the universe

    Both claims make no sense considering 1.) there was a Pandaren in the universe long before KFP was created and 2.) there was a Pandaren in Warcraft lore before WoW was created.

    They are definitely very different from the other WoW races. But that's a good thing. Why add another race that doesn't distinguish themselves.
    I think when the Worgen came out people said "what werewolves in WoW? they don't fit in, only kids and twilight fags will play them"
    To be honest it doesn't really matter at all which one came first in public perception.

    And there is a difference between one mysterious roaming pandaren fitting in the universe, or a whole race / continent / population of less mysterious pandaren becoming a large part of the Alliance or Horde faction.

  19. #499
    Legendary! Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    6,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    To be honest it doesn't really matter at all which one came first in public perception.
    Only because people are ignorant to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    And there is a difference between one mysterious roaming pandaren fitting in the universe, or a whole race / continent / population of less mysterious pandaren becoming a large part of the Alliance or Horde faction.
    Why? Either it fits or it doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince McMahon
    Puke is good. Puke is nice. It fits the WWF Attitude.

  20. #500
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystile View Post
    The odd thing here is that your dungeon had six people in it.
    Holy smokes O_O

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •