Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Patch 5.1 - Why are people so gullible?

I had to laugh when I read the 5.1 announcement from Blizz, which basically amounts to a paragraph of propaganda. Just look at the bolded parts:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    While Mists of Pandaria already comes packed full of some of the most diverse and expansive World of Warcraft content to date, we’re staying true to our goal of delivering new content faster. With that in mind, we’re pleased to share that the first major Mists of Pandaria content update, Patch 5.1, is well underway.

In fact, our plan is to release a build of patch 5.1 on the Public Test Realms soon so you can experience it for yourself! Initially, the PTR build won’t include all of the 5.1 patch content, but here’s a glimpse of the major features that are already in the pipeline.
    The fact that they have to remind us twice of how 'major this patch is', just reeks of desperation to quiet the grumblings about slow updates in the past. If you actually look at these 'major features' objectively, these are things that are barely worthy of a press release, let alone an entire patch. UI fixes for pet battles? A minigame? An exciting paragraph this is ultimately describing...daily quests? These things are considered major features now in wow? And is a simple point conversion from one stat to another really a 'major feature' of the first real content patch?

Remember when daily quests were a chore to get through so you could get to the fun stuff? Kind of sad that dailies are now the real meat of endgame.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Deleted
    Wait, you're not thinking of leaving, are ya? The game would just be so empty without you around

10+ Year Old Account
    Well MoP hasn't disappointed yet, I am not going to call them on it. Now if this patch does suck, the next I will be suspicious of. No reason to be suspicious of this one.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Patch 5.1- Why are people such downers?
    Daily quests were never meant to be "a chore you get through", even in TBC when they were first implemented they were meant to be "exciting" content that gave people something to do other than raiding.
    And that's exactly how it worked then, has worked since and is still working!

They also aren't "the real meat of the endgame". This expansion has one of the most populated raid tiers ever.

Please get over yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    They say major twice. MUST QUIT WOW NOW, TOO FAR, THEY'VE GONE TOO FAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    They say major twice. MUST QUIT WOW NOW, TOO FAR, THEY'VE GONE TOO FAR.
    The point was that they said it at all. Its a very clear attempt of influencing players to believe this is a 'major patch' based on how Blizzard describes it, instead of players basing their opinion on the actual features in the patch.

How dare blizzard say major twice! Thank you OP, you have come up with the absolute greatest argument against Blizzard of all time. I was almost duped there, but you sure saved me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    The point was that they said it at all. Its a very clear attempt of influencing players to believe this is a 'major patch' based on how Blizzard describes it, instead of players basing their opinion on the actual features in the patch.
    So if it doesnt have a raid its not a patch is what you are trying to imply? Are you serious? are you ignoreing all the other features plus the line that says CLEARLY:

''Keep in mind this is only a taste of what’s to come, and that there’s even more in store. Stay tuned for additional details as we prepare release Patch 5.1 for testing!''

Give me a break dude, now you are seriously looking like a downer. But meh, what else could i expect from your threads.

I'd like to point to patch 2.2.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

You do know "major patch" is the term for any patch that isn't just a hotfix right? It's used between the actual changes and the tweeks. Or at least that's how I always understood it. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    Wow, that's stunningly stupid. Really.

But yeah, right, it's all propaganda, the WHOLE WORLD trembles under war on attrition, and only the strongest among us are able to see through the scheme when it says "tasty" on the cornflakes box.

What was the point of your thread again? Does life really hurt THAT bad?

Blizzard is a business. They are talking the patch up to keep people's interest and keep the hype going for MoP...a lot of people returned for MoP and they don't want to lose customers, they have a chance to seize the market by the balls again and they don't want to lose that chance to other companies. It's Blizzard's game and Blizzard'd patch. They can refer to it as the Ultra Piece of Shit patch if they want but frankly 'major' sounds better. And a whole new feature is nothing to scoff at.

time to get the tinfoil hats out! there is some serious messing with our brains underway

Wait what are people being gullible about exactly? Was that ever specified?

What do they consider a major patch though? 5.1 major patch seems like 1 daily hub, a couple new factions, and ui tweaks. That doesn't seem overly major to me to be honest. But whatever, we play what they give us.

Wow, what some people choose to complain about will always elude me.

"OMG, they said major TWICE! TWICE!!! OMG!"

They're giving us new content. Let them brand it how they want to.

Brb, making angry thread because my bag of Gardetto's mentions breadsticks multiple times. Thanks for enlightening me about the horrors of using words multiple times. Oh god wait, I just said "multiple times" multiple times! OH GOD I DID IT AGAIN! IT WONT STOP HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by kage View Post
    You do know "major patch" is the term for any patch that isn't just a hotfix right? It's used between the actual changes and the tweeks. Or at least that's how I always understood it. I could be wrong.
    Honestly I've never actually seen Blizzard themselves ever use the term 'major patch' before. That is the entire reason I was struck by the use of the term in the announcement. In the past they would just call it 'Patch 5.1 on the PTR', they didn't need to actually spell out its a 'major patch'.

Eh. I don't think it's a big deal, they're just being a bit redundant at most. And they're repeating themselves.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

Deleted
    Among the niche things this little detail came up:

"While members of the Horde and the Alliance have been busy exploring the exotic continent of Pandaria, Garrosh and Varian have been gathering their forces in preparation for the struggle to exert the influence of the Horde and the Alliance over these long-lost lands. Players who have quested through Pandaria will see forces of both factions arrive in force on the shores of the unspoiled continent, bringing the tensions between the Horde and the Alliance into sharp focus. New daily quest hubs and faction reputations will be available to adventurers eager to do their part in the brewing conflict."

And ofcourse the follow up on Wrathion:
    ""Wrathion is keenly interested in the conflict exploding between the factions on Pandaria’s southern shore. He’s sure to have additional tasks for players to complete as they continue their quest for Legendary gear.""

So this part totally eluded you? Most likely the changes to Jade Forest they were talking about, two big armies arriving to take over the land.
    Yeah not major at all dipshit.