Thread: Reducing Bass

10+ Year Old Account

Reducing Bass

I know I posted about this problem a couple of months ago, but I still need to try and fix it.

Hardware:
    - Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68V-Pro
    - Speakers: Logitech 2.1 (some Z model number I can't remember)

By my understanding the bass simply amplifies the lower frequencies, (although if I don't plug the speakers into the bass unit sound still comes out of the bass speaker only just at a low frequency.)

Deleted
    Install proper drivers for the soundcard and not the shite from Windows Update.

Then you will get a graphics equalizer to change bass levels and loads of other options Microsoft thinks we are too stupid to use.

Same for gfx card and motherboard drivers too..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    I know I posted about this problem a couple of months ago, but I still need to try and fix it.

Hardware:
    - Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68V-Pro
    - Speakers: Logitech 2.1 (some Z model number I can't remember)

By my understanding the bass simply amplifies the lower frequencies, (although if I don't plug the speakers into the bass unit sound still comes out of the bass speaker only just at a low frequency.)
    This is purely Logitech's design. There's not a single thing you can do about it.

I cant think of a solution other then equalize.

If you want to get rid of the sub, you'll need an external reciever to plug your small speakers into.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

It depends what you're trying to reduce the bass on, music, movies, games, or for anything you hear at all.
    If your speakers have a sub they should also have a little control on them that governs how much bass is being put out.

For music any player you use will have an equalizer built in you simply have to change it to one of the presets that sounds good to you or change the levels yourself. (Bars on the left control bass like drums, middle ones control mid tones like guitars and vocals, ones in the right control the high tones like snares and female vocals. )
    For movies any player you use to play video should also include an equalizer built in.

If you just want everything that comes out of your computer to change Windows does include its own equalizer, its just not very easily accessible.
    never used windows 8 (seems pretty useless if you dont have a touch screen to me tbh) but with windows 7 you hit the start menu type in Sound and click the one that pops up labeled just "Sound" select your sound device and hit properties in the bottom right.

In the window that shows next hit the "Enhancements" tab at the top, this will show the list of enhancements you can enable including Environment, Voice Cancellation, Pitch Shift, and Equalizer.

Tick the box beside Equalizer and at the bottom of the window you can change the Setting preset to things like rock, rap, classic, etc.
    Pick one, hit apply then play whatever you want to test how it sounds. Find one you like, hit ok and you're good to go.

Deleted
    I love how you all suggest equalizers. While they work fine in most situations for improving the sound of your speakers or tweaking it, it's just not going for Logitech's.
    I owned a set of OP's speakers, or at least similars aswell and I know what he's talking about.
    The subwoofer SHOULD serve only bass while the sattelites should deliver the higher frequencies. However, Logitech always cheaps out on amps and made it so that the subwoofer carries all of the sound signal to the speaker, not just the low frequencies. Result? Muddy distorted bass. There's really nothing you can do about it, other than, what Keller said, get an external reciever to plug the smaller speakers in. You'd have to get a seperate subwoofer that way and it'll sound like shit. Logitech speakers are nowhere near the level of HiFi speakers, not even the cheapest ones.
    If you really want better sound, you should just ditch the Logitech set alltogether and save up some cash for an entry level speaker system.

Mine cost 700€, you can get much cheaper but I'd take it as a baseline for a decent sound system that'll last you years. (I have no subwoofer, my speakers both have 2 6" drivers taking care of bass)

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a really nice set of creative 5.1 speakers (original price £290-£350 (I don't remember exactly, it wasn't my money) I bought back in... 2000-2003), but I gave them to my brother when I took a year out from uni, because I had no where to put them. Then I went and bought this, I figured, they look pretty decent and only cost £15... (this time i'm spending my money)

Anyway I have tried the equalizer option, which seems okay... it doesn't sound right after doing that though. so I suspect I'll have to shell out soon for a half decent set which lets me control the bass on the remote like the creative ones did. Biggest problem is though, I'm now an out of work graduate with no money and lots of debt.

Deleted
    I know that feeling.
    You'll get there eventually, just save up bits & pieces along the way and get something that'll last and make it's money's worth.