Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are people enjoying sPvP?

I really enjoyed PvP in WoW, both arena and BG's. GW2 trumps them with WvW but sometimes I just want some quick battles so I do sPvP.

Its not quite as fun as I thought it might be. I have played over 50 games and there is hardly any communication, in fact the last 10 matches not one person said anything including myself - I never felt the need tbh.

I would really like to see an arathi basin type map included. 15 people each side, open areas so you can alert people of incoming attacks, 5 flags. Currently the maps are designed where you don't have much visability to warn people. I am quickly getting tired of the 4 maps they have.

Also the FoV or camera distance limits what you can see around you. If I'm fighting a necro with his 5 pets, a couple of mesmers then all of a sudden the area is full of something like 12 enemies when there is really only 3 you should be dealing with. It gets a bit messy.

finally I wish they would allow people to change the UI around. For me the buffs and debuffs are so tiny and its difficult to see what the hell you have on you. I would make these larger and sit right under my character. I'd also make the health bars larger for both my teammates and enemies, at least 4 times higher and twice as long.

Are people enjoying sPvP? do you have some issues with it? suggestions for improvements? I think its close but just not quite there atm.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

WoW random PvP rarely had any communication with it so I am not sure what you are getting at. Occasionally people would yell in chat saying go here but they were being more of an ass as in "god these stupid people" but rarely anything useful. If you wan't more useful communication make a team or try communicating yourself.

Most of the time Spvp is more about the fights since it is really a practice zone and tournament PvP is where it is at so make a team.

Get a team and play tournament PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    WoW random PvP rarely had any communication with it so I am not sure what you are getting at. Occasionally people would yell in chat saying go here but they were being more of an ass as in "god these stupid people" but rarely anything useful. If you wan't more useful communication make a team or try communicating yourself.

Most of the time Spvp is more about the fights since it is really a practice zone and tournament PvP is where it is at so make a team.
    he might mean rated bgs, you're right that random bgs aren't about communication, unless you want to here omg rtard why you cap Ib gy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    he might mean rated bgs, you're right that random bgs aren't about communication, unless you want to here omg rtard why you cap Ib gy
    Guild wars 2 pvp wasnt like that in the bwes or stress tests there was zero trash talking the current state now made me actually level my character ha
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

I think it would be good if you could ping the map like in LOL. Would make for simple and effective communication.

i like spvp and tpvp.
    Nothing but looks and a number that only tells you how much you play is not enough incentive for me to play any more right now though

Deleted
    i like it. i jump in if i feel like it with the profession i want and leave if i have enough.

the only thing that i dont like is that i cant see my team members if they are too far away from me (on the map and the health bars)

Guild Wars 1 had some of the best (my favorite) PvP I've played, and Guild Wars 2 is very fun as well. I'm waiting for them to implement more gametypes such as Arena, Guild vs Guild, and more tournaments (Hall of Heroes anyone?) before I say it's as good as GW1 though.

Deleted
    sPvP is a mixed bag for me.

I agree about the lack of communication and tactic required for PuG games. We really need alternative game modes like CTF, King of the Hill, Last Man Standing, Huttball etc. to make it more compelling. Just having Domination maps is kind of lame.

The maps, although very detailed, could be bigger as well. It take what?....40 seconds to traverse WSG in WoW and that's a small map. In Gw2 I can cross a map in less than 20 seconds.

Downed state is really annoying as well as it makes 2v1 virtually impossible and even rezzes anyone you killed should you die. A really, really frustrating feature especially in tPvP where people prefer to leave you downed rather than finish you off.

And then there's the reward issue. With pretty much every other activity having some sort of reward attached to it I don't understand why sPvP needs to be the exception. Even a little incentive, Karma, gear skins would go a long way to encourage people to sPvp. Currently it's just a playground for experimenting with various builds.

I enjoy it but i really hate mesmers.

@crowe, You know you get gear skins from Spvp right...

Yes and no. The fun part is in random face stomping on a mesmer. It's quite hilarious. I'd argue it's even better then random WoW BG run for stress relief, though probably worse then a quick LoL match. You don't even need to know how to play your class to stomp random people, unlike WoW and LoL. You just need a proper build.

Organised part on the other hand sucks and sucks hard. Current tourney implementation is absolutely pointless without ladders, which are nowhere in sight in spite of many promises with game being over month post release. Even with ladders, I suspect it will still be very lacking due to limits of the format.

Also sharks. And guardians. And guardians guarding the point with sharks.

I don't like the design at all. Battle of Khylo is the only exception. Why is there PvE in the PvP? If PvErs could get ganked by players there would be a shitstorm, but apparently its okay to have mobs that can get kill stolen, mini castle seiges, and a million fucking sharks everywhere in PvP. I just leave whenever RoC comes up, worst map ever made. Underwater combat just doesn't work in PvP and the sharks make it so if you're not full toughness or a tanky class you will never be able to take back the point.

Another thing is why are the capture points so tiny. All I see are toughness asshole who just sit there and never really go offensive, and just keep preventing you from being inside the boundary. They should be much larger so attackers can at least force neutral on the point.

Also I find it hard to really want to PvP. Random rewarding through the chests is awful. Ideally I'd like to collect glory and choose what I want to buy rather than constantly getting useless shit/duplicates that my class doesn't use.

Nobody says anything in random WoW BG's either...

You have to be in an organized group if you want coordinated play.

For me, the lack of variety in objectives is the greatest downside. Every map is slight variation on The Battle for Gilneas. Some variety in the maps and objectives would be welcome change. For all it's faults, SWTOR's huttball was rather fun and innovative. Rift's Black Garden brought some new mechanics to the capture the item. For game centered on PvP, the sPvP seems to be its greatest weakness.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've enjoyed the little sPvP that I've done...the maps are small so even if people aren't yelling out where the incoming attack is, odds are that at least one teammate will soon arrive or even if you lose the point it will soon be taken back.

I've seen a few people complain about their team sucking or whatever but if you tell them to go tPvP it usually quiets them right down. I don't see many people saying bad things to each other which I suspect is because if they stay in the rotation it's not just seeing someone for one match and then never again. They know they'll continue to see them and possibly even get put on the opposite team.

Deleted
    If you avoid weekend daytime and early evening the PuG PvP in WoW and SWTOR has quite a bit of chat going on...strategy chat I mean not the horrible name calling that goes on at weekend daytimes and early evening.

I have done quite a bit of sPvP in GW2 and the constant zerg took some getting used to, I was getting well hacked off with capping a base then everyone just running off to cap the next base. A few times I tried to stay and defend but just got wiped by the opposing zerg lol.
    I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen people actually using strategy....but once I accepted it and got my head around zerging laps of the maps I enjoyed it just for the killing and mayhem lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy it. I wish I had more time to actually play it, though.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    Nobody says anything in random WoW BG's either...

You have to be in an organized group if you want coordinated play.
    Actually my experrience with WoW BG's and communication was a little different, sometimes it was deadly quiet but I just put that down to playing in a team with BoTs or people that didn't understand english or were shy.

But then there were the times the WoW BG chat was full of people trying to help with early warnings and alerts. Sure there was always a few wannabe commander types that typed everything in CAPS and ordered people around but they were generally ignored.

In GW2 the only thing I have ever seen anyone type was "gg" when we managed to pull back a game and win by 10 points. It was probably the best sPvP match I have played so far.

The game is so fast paced people don't really stop to type things out, also because of the lack of visability and the size of the maps you can't see what's happening or by the time you have typed it out they are already attacking that point.

PvP is a big part of MMO's for me and I'm hoping Anet have a lot of ideas and approvements on their drawing board.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

I would enjoy sPvP more if there was actually an observer mode, so I could watch some good matches inbetween or before my own, get a feel for certain things and sit back relax.

This (alongside a PvE death log) is pretty much what I feel is the most lacking thing intended to be in this game, that it needs to stand on its own.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~