Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Original Lore in World of Warcraft?

As much as I enjoy the lore, characters, and backstory of WoW, I acknowledge that much of it is very derivative or straight copy from earlier fantasy worlds, Lord of the Rings, Dungeons and Dragons, ancient mythologies, whathaveyou. What would you consider to be the most original idea (Lorewise) in WoW?

Personally, I'd go with moonkins. Unless I'm wrong, I've never heard of an owlbeast before a moonkin and WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    They existed too:

http://www.kenzerco.com/free_files/owlbeast.pdf

Honestly, nothing in WoW is that original. It's all got inspiration from somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    They existed too:

http://www.kenzerco.com/free_files/owlbeast.pdf

Honestly, nothing in WoW is that original. It's all got inspiration from somewhere
    Learn something everday! What's that from?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Champatron View Post
    As much as I enjoy the lore, characters, and backstory of WoW, I acknowledge that much of it is very derivative or straight copy from earlier fantasy worlds, Lord of the Rings, Dungeons and Dragons, ancient mythologies, whathaveyou. What would you consider to be the most original idea (Lorewise) in WoW?

Personally, I'd go with moonkins. Unless I'm wrong, I've never heard of an owlbeast before a moonkin and WoW.
    They're very similar to the Owlbears of D&D.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Owlbear

Edit: Beaten by that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    All fantasy is based off of old mythology...
    ..which is based on retellings of stories...
    ..of retellings of even older stories..
    ..which are a retelling..
    ..of a reimagination..
    ..of a hearsay..
    ..of some experiencing a tribe's shaman had while eating hallucinogenic berries.

..which probably passed through a sabertooth tiger's colon beforehand.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Champatron View Post
    Learn something everday! What's that from?
    Not sure what that is. It uses D&D rules, so it's likely a custom world set in a D&D setting.

But even D&D took inspiration from Lord of the Rings, which was inspired by countless cultural myths.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Blizzards defense, it's pretty darn hard to come up with original ideas nowadays... Most things have already been done.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    tauren or maybe "friendly" undead? :S

don't tend to see many movies/films/games with either of those two things :S

Deleted
    To be fair, the orcs of Warcraft are much more intelligent than (and not as evil as) any other incarnation. They do have some stuff that can be considered original, but everything in a high-fantasy setting has been inspired by mythology.

Deleted
    I'd quite honestly go with the Blizzard Trolls. Sure, Trolls are done everywhere and by everyone but no troll is like the warcraft trolls (not counting the big berserker trolls as they are a lot more like dnd trolls)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    tauren or maybe "friendly" undead? :S

don't tend to see many movies/films/games with either of those two things :S
    The Minotaur
    Interview with a Vampire
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    All fantasy is based off of old mythology...
    ..which is based on retellings of stories...
    ..of retellings of even older stories..
    ..which are a retelling..
    ..of a reimagination..
    ..of a hearsay..
    ..of some experiencing a tribe's shaman had while eating hallucinogenic berries.

..which probably passed through a sabertooth tiger's colon beforehand.
    So you're saying WoW's lore originated in a sabertooth's colon? Seems pretty accurate to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alesthes View Post
    To be fair, the orcs of Warcraft are much more intelligent than (and not as evil as) any other incarnation.
    This. In the majority of fantasy settings, Orcs are mindless, dumb, easy-to-kill cannon fodder(LotR anyone?).

Quote Originally Posted by Sharix View Post
    So you're saying WoW's lore originated in a sabertooth's colon? Seems pretty accurate to me.
    He's saying all fantasy did
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

dragon aspects?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Trolls, Tauren, Undead, Orcs. Yes neither of them are original in itself, but their incarnation in WoW is completely unique.
    Maybe trolls, but orcs are incredibly similar to orks from the warhammer 40k universe.

A giant orc with a shrunken head acting as the leader of the "evil" faction.....

I don't think looking for originality in something as ancient as fantasy and myths is key, otherwise, every single fantasy book, movie or game would be considered unoriginal. What makes Warcraft great (in my opinion) is that they manage to get ALL those different things to work together and to make sense.

Not that many fantasy worlds have such many different cultures, technologies and places. And, somehow, Azeroth is fairly beliavable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say that the trolls in WoW and warcraft are very much different from any other trolls in other lore, mythology and whatnot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    A giant orc with a shrunken head acting as the leader of the "evil" faction.....
    He was the guy on the waiting room sofa in Beetlejuice.

Please point out what part of the Lord of the Rings is not derivitive.

And while you're at it, please point out what part of D&D is not derivitive either.

Fantasy is about style and execution. This notion that originality is so important is just bullshit and needs a fallacy named after it.