Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Tanks are butch people who shrug off attacks with their massive muscles. Healers are delicate people, restoring the life essences of allies with soothing and gentle magics.
    Take from this what you will, but I think that the healer role has many more female connotations than that of the tank role.
    With Fire and Brimstone I light my path.
    With Pain and Shadow I smite my foes.
    With Demon and Fel I raise my armies.
    I AM WARLOCK, THE END OF YOU ALL.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played every role
    am I omnisexual?

and what are Damage Dealers?... Hermaphrodites?...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremmon View Post
    Our man tank is a girl and all our healers are guys... hmmm
    She's got them by the leash.

Joking aside, it's the "soldier takes wounds, nurse heals soldier" stereotype. And then, thinking about it, most of the healers I've had were girls and tanks were always but once a guy. And that one ended up being a guy too.

One, I just went to that page that the OP mentioned, and I saw that the sentence in question was now edited to reflect both genders, so that was corrected (WoWWiki hasn't exactly been that great since Wowpedia began, IMO, anyway).

It's still an odd thing to assume, though, but I think I understand why. Back in the NES days, the first Final Fantasy had all the Warriors be male and White Mages be female (don't ask me the other classes' gender, because I can't remember them). I'm guessing that was the reason they did that, but still, odd and silly thing to say.

My main is a Shammy healer, and I find it to be pretty tough to do because you're the first one that gets blasted when a wipe happens. Even if the tank is as squishy as shit, it's the healer that gets shitted on because they are expected to heal through everything (sometimes even stupid). However, the healer also has a LOT of power because they don't exactly HAVE to heal you if you ARE stupid, and they can call you out if you are ("stay out of that shit...can't heal you through that...I'm running out of mana to keep you up cause you're so squishy"). And if the tank decides to not wait on the healer to get some mana back and keeps chain pulling everything, think of what'll happen to the tank and then the rest of the party?

Sad thing is, though, even during that, the healer is usually the first one that's blamed for a wipe, almost guaranteed! Male or female, it takes a real player to be able to put up with shit like that.

And besides, I thought many Pallies were becoming healers now with how I've heard they gutted the Prot spec on them right now.
    I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hari-Kari rock! I need scissors! 61!

Deleted
    It's a stereotype with a little bit of merit too it: women do seem more inclined to go for the healing role. Looking at stats on the character gender for classes like Priest do show this some what and a lot of women I know who play do go towards healing, though a couple do tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkpower View Post
    One, I just went to that page that the OP mentioned, and I saw that the sentence in question was now edited to reflect both genders, so that was corrected (WoWWiki hasn't exactly been that great since Wowpedia began, IMO, anyway).

It's still an odd thing to assume, though, but I think I understand why. Back in the NES days, the first Final Fantasy had all the Warriors be male and White Mages be female (don't ask me the other classes' gender, because I can't remember them). I'm guessing that was the reason they did that, but still, odd and silly thing to say.

My main is a Shammy healer, and I find it to be pretty tough to do because you're the first one that gets blasted when a wipe happens. Even if the tank is as squishy as shit, it's the healer that gets shitted on because they are expected to heal through everything (sometimes even stupid). However, the healer also has a LOT of power because they don't exactly HAVE to heal you if you ARE stupid, and they can call you out if you are ("stay out of that shit...can't heal you through that...I'm running out of mana to keep you up cause you're so squishy"). And if the tank decides to not wait on the healer to get some mana back and keeps chain pulling everything, think of what'll happen to the tank and then the rest of the party?

Sad thing is, though, even during that, the healer is usually the first one that's blamed for a wipe, almost guaranteed! Male or female, it takes a real player to be able to put up with shit like that.

And besides, I thought many Pallies were becoming healers now with how I've heard they gutted the Prot spec on them right now.
    Prot has had some issues corrected with the SoI buff.

This thread... I don't even... I uh..

What.

No seriously.

I don't think I can put my thoughts into words just yet.
    The answer to the thread's title is no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are stereotipes so you don't have to care about that, also i haven't meet anyone that just because i'm healing think i'm a girl or something like that, so i don't think it matters.

Obviously a girl wrote it and put her there, as that's her role, and she was typing from her perspective. I find this to be true in a lot of articles of writing for some reason...
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    I prefer healing and play a resto shaman as main. It's just personal preference and not because I have boobs.

I'm only tanking in WoW, I must be really manly now

Healing can be manly!

just imagine Johnny bravo as a healer
    "hey there sexy tanking mama your looking a little down maybe u need some of my HEALING HANDS!" *strikes ridiculous pose*
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are A LOT of male doctors if you go to hospital.

Nope, healers are not girly at all.

DPS and tanks are just more "uncivilised" :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    There are A LOT of male doctors if you go to hospital.

Nope, healers are not girly at all.

DPS and tanks are just more "uncivilised" :P
    lets not forget one of the coolest man healers ever the TF2 medic

The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzia View Post
    Obviously your tank must be a manly female? No?

OT: If it said "It is possible for a healer to derive most of HIS XP from dungeons, as opposed to PvE" would you have reacted the same way but opposite? All healers are male?
    We have about 8 really good healers in our guild and they are all guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremmon View Post
    Our man tank is a girl and all our healers are guys... hmmm
    prolys all gays. Just kidding srsly plz no infracton.

Do what you like, many of our healers have been guys. Fewer of our tanks have been females but that is more because we have had the same tanks for quite some time now.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Healers are rabbit-hugging, squrell-kissing hippie pacifists and tanks enjoy being punched in the face. DD for me!

Quote Originally Posted by MechaMoose View Post
    lets not forget one of the coolest man healers ever the TF2 medic
    I also laugh hysterically as I heal people. spot on!

They randomly use "him" and/or "her" in articles. No big deal, yeesh.

There's some truth to the stereotype (there've been dozens of polls on here and they all match the most healers = girls thing, not to mention personal experience) but it will never ever be true for everyone. I'm a dude and I love healing. I knew a girl IRL who main tanked Firelands. There will always be people who break the stereotype.

Bottom line articles randomly use him/her. One Blizzard article about mages said "she" for example. Not a big deal.

As someone who is a heterosexual male and played a healer from TBC until Cata, I am offended. :P

Warender - Orc Enhancement Shaman - Mal'Ganis US