Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Is Disc really that bad now?

Why are people complaining about how bad Disc is now? I've been playing disc all expansion and it seems more powerful than over now.

The effective healing of a PoH is amazing and if it overheals it still leaves a shield on the target. 55k PW:S and 110k with Timeloop is damn insane, it's a shame the glyph was reworked but it is still amazingly powerful. Renew with the glyph is in a state where it's actually worth using now. Barrier is an amazing raid CD and Pain Supression is one of the best external tank cooldowns in the game. Mindbender when used on cooldown with proper rapture use gives back more mana than you can spend most of the time and Holy Fire/Smite provide decent damage with good healing, not to mention that the Holy Fire glyph gives you a powerful instant cast heal that you can use on the move. Body and Soul is an amazing talent given how often we use PW:S allowing raid members to move around a lot faster. And don't get me started on Spirit Shell. That thing gets fully charged with 1 Greater heal or 2 Prayer of Healing casts, allowing for an amazing 1 minute raid cooldown or a mini cooldown to prevent burst damage. With a PW:S and 1 Greater Heal in a Spirit shell our Prot warrior takes no damage from H Madness Impales whereas he used to land on 20-30% from them.

I'm not sure about you, but I think disc is in an amazing spot and is incredibly powerful right now, is holy actually better? When I weigh up choices I can't see holy being better than disc in any way for the current content.

i enjoy disc and have 0 mana issues and spirit shell is hilarious.. for the content out, everything is viable. i think for lvl 90 though, thats where the "disc is bad" statement comes from.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Explain why at 90 it's bad? I've heard the same thing over and over but I am assuming its coming from people who have yet to reforge back into spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusier View Post
    Explain why at 90 it's bad? I've heard the same thing over and over but I am assuming its coming from people who have yet to reforge back into spirit.
    Disc performing poorly is based on the experience of very skilled priests who are testing the beta with gear that scales to match the ilvl required for the encounter. For instance (from Midwinter, US 6th):

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/04a1g...ne/?s=0&e=1480

I had to search a while through Midwinter's logs to even FIND a disc priest, since disc's numbers have been low for some time (at one point in the beta, both priest specs were at the very bottom). As of now, the consensus seems to be that holy is viable but disc still is not.

These priests are extremely dedicated raiders and have put many, many hours into testing various gear set-ups. I can assure it's not as simple as they 'have yet to reforge back into spirit'. While it's possible they aren't playing the spec perfectly, the same would go for the other healing specs too, who seem to be blowing them out of the water on every fight. Barring a combat log bug or consistently crappy play from both vodka and Midwinter, disc is pretty darn awful.

I just see spirit shell being a very powerful raid CD. While that may manipulate the healing meters, but still I feel the best raid CD. I respect those people playing the class while it sits at the bottom at the barrel in beta but I believe Blizzard has a special place in their hearts for disc. I myself play a holy paladin and feel healing is so OP it's barely fun.

Just because disc is very powerful now, on an instance with full bis gear that practically has 0 dmg going on, doesn't mean the same happens at level 90 as well.
    From personal experience having being able to participate on every raid test that has happened i can tell you that holy is better in almost every single fight on this first tier with very few exceptions which are either better tank healing or cds in the form of ps or barrier, also you don't have access to level 90 talents yet which increase the gap between holy and disc even further.

Deleted
    I am surprised at all this positive reaction... really?

I've played disc all expansion, its felt good for the most part, excellent in DS.

The only "raid" I have done this patch was Firelands yesterday.
    Now, I have done HC FL relatively easy since 4.3, but going in there normal mode yesterday (with one other healer) and I had so much trouble.
    I'd already reforged back into a bit of Spirit, (with something around 3.2k) in 395 level gear.

We pulled too much trash and we wiped.
    We could hardly get through Beth and eventually we just quit.

FL normal was an absoulute laugh 4.3, could heal some of it solo (obviously not Beth due to mechanics), and now, even though I've read up on all the changes, am trying to get into it and whatnot, I think disc isn't nearly as good as it was pre-patch.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not QQing, I understand it is "tuned for 90" but it does scare me a fair bit.

Perhaps my FL group was just awful (was a PUG) , but I didn't enjoy it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    My disc priest has been performing immensely well this past week.

Deleted
    Mana is a huge issue for me as disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    Disc performing poorly is based on the experience of very skilled priests who are testing the beta with gear that scales to match the ilvl required for the encounter. For instance (from Midwinter, US 6th):
    This is what I hear as well; as I posted in another thread, Disc improves markedly as people learn encounters, but my suspicion is throughput is low at 90, for whatever reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heap View Post
    Mana is a huge issue for me as disc.
    Shouldn't really be, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthok View Post
    My disc priest has been performing immensely well this past week.
    But are you level 90?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venaliter View Post
    Shouldn't really be, though.
    Dno, maybe it's because i'm used to using every GCD, even spamming smite or heal drops my mana and rapture doesn't feel nearly ass efficient as it was before.
    I'm not specced into Solace btw, i expected to use HF/smite as my filler, maybe that's the issue?

Also keep in mind i'm talking about my level 85 priest (399 ilvl).

The biggest impact of the MoP changes to Disc is the much higher dependence on Spirit. Every piece should have innate spirit on it, and you should gem for the stuff now.
    You can't just wear spiritless gear and reforge into some of it, and complain about mana issues. =P

10+ Year Old Account
    If you like atonement healing and did it previously, Disc is fine. If you don't like atonement healing (AA/A) then it's not Fine. I was never into dpsing to heal, so I re-rolled a Paladin in the hopes that I'll like it enough to make it my main. Mana is tight for all healers, so reforge back to spirit, change your meta, and wear a spirit trinket if you can. Some gems with spirit would be ideal, but I'm waiting until MoP for better ones. Our HpS is lower than other healers, but we're not balanced for level 90 so that's rather meaningless.

To me the required AA/A + more short cds ruined the flow of the rotation. The abilities themselves are great, and I love the talents.
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

I only had problems the first week of the patch due to lack of addons to help me track my cooldowns and rapture procs. This week is a lot better. I was non-aa disc prior to the patch but I was lucky to get onto the beta about 2 weeks before it landed so I could get some practice with AA. Despite the fact that holy pallies are OP right now I'm still beating our on many H DS fights so it's all good (It will be a cold day in hell when I allow him to beat me on Heroic Madness).

It's all about practice makes perfect when it comes to disc. Spirit Shell is amazing if you time it properly. On many fights it does upwards of 30% of my healing. Pretty nice stuff.

In term of Solace vs Mindbender it's supposed to be that they are stronger on different fights. Remember you can swap out talents before every fight using Dust so there is no reason to really debate between the two. Choose the one that best fits the specific fight.

Deleted
    Oh so that's why my rapture sucked, guess i should have read the new tooltip :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Done H DS fully as Disc and Holy now, here are my thoughts.

1. Spirit Shell is godly when used correctly. I mean, holy crap... it might as well be a raid CD
    2. Disc's mana is worse than Holy. Using equal gear, same amount of spirit (3.4k + Spirit Trinket), and Disc runs oom faster than Holy. For instance, I was full mana or H Madness going into p2 as Holy having poor Mana CD management and as Disc I was near oom and was having awesome CD management.
    3. Disc's lack of a "healing" CD kinda hurts it. Every spec has one or has access to one now (maybe minus monks, I don't know anything about them...) Divine Hymn, Tranquility, Guardian of Ancient Kings, Healing Tide Totem, etc. Yes, we have Barrier, and SShell acts like a raid CD almost, but for instance, H Spine, the other healer died (fell off the boss... reallly? ...), and I just didn't have a good CD to wipe debuffs and catch up. Kinda sucked. At least before, I could barrier + glyph, PI + DH and be pretty decent.

Now honestly, I don't have my Disc setup as well as Holy. Have no spells set to monitor yet, so I'm sure my SShell, IF, etc. management is terrible, but like for a new person, who likely doesn't have that kind of stuff anyways, it seems like I'd be pretty punishing.

Deleted
    Wait a sec let me get this right, you say that this log is from a disc priest that uses Echo of Light, Circle of Healing and Divine Hymn.... Wow great I´ll kinda be the best disc priest ever bring it on

...Just kidding obviously this poor performance is from a Holy Priest.

I only did a few raids with my 90 disc priest and mana was not smooth. I of course had bad gear but so had the other healers. For fights where you can expect spike damage at a regular interval, SS is very cool and effective, all other fights you need binoculars to be able to see the HoT classes ahead of you. This might change with better gear and more experience of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenas View Post
    Wait a sec let me get this right, you say that this log is from a disc priest that uses Echo of Light, Circle of Healing and Divine Hymn.... Wow great I´ll kinda be the best disc priest ever bring it on

...Just kidding obviously this poor performance is from a Holy Priest.
    Are you really that ignorant you didn't notice the Disc Priest at the bottom of the pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflora View Post
    Are you really that ignorant you didn't notice the Disc Priest at the bottom of the pack?
    I think the problem there had more to do with the fact that the priest in that log cast Spirit Shell a total of 4 times over the course of 24 minutes of logs. That wasn't a failure of the class, just the player. If you have a 1m cooldown that can absorb up to 1m damage in a 25m raid I would be damn sure to cast it on cooldown. In that log the priest in question only got 1.3 million in absorbs, it should be around the 8 million mark for that particular fight.

26% of his healing was done by atonement....Atonement!
    They didn't cast Barrier once, and I'm pretty sure he could have used it, at least on the tanks/melee.

So yeah, looks like poor gameplay by the priest in question.
    Last edited by lizon; 2012-09-06 at 02:21 PM.