Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have an xbox mainly for fifa games, they're pretty much made for consoles, the PC version of Fifa tells you to press A and B etc, which I find rather amusing (if you don't use a controller on your PC). So yeah for sports games, I think consoles is where it's at. But most other genres I'd play on PC. I don't play fighting games but apparently they're much better on consoles too.

As for if you should get an xbox or ps3, only you can decide that really. They both have their exclusive games, ps3 has a bluray player and free online, xbox has (imo) more comfortable controllers but paid online. My mate has a ps3 and I get handcramp using his ps3 controllers lol, but I have rather big hands. Really I'd just look which exclusive games you prefer more and decide from there.

Multiplayer games like Fifa, Cod etc. where you play on the same screen with friends. PC doesn't have this opportunity

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrien View Post
    Multiplayer games like Fifa, Cod etc. where you play on the same screen with friends. PC doesn't have this opportunity
    Will never understand why people would buy an FPS on a console over a PC... aiming with a controller is horrible lol. But the 'co-op' reason on same screen I guess I can semi understand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Will never understand why people would buy an FPS on a console over a PC... aiming with a controller is horrible lol. But the 'co-op' reason on same screen I guess I can semi understand.
    CoD has "better" support on consoles. Other FPS's are questionable on that part.. ofc, fps is genre which doesnt really work on consoles.
    As for co-op..LAN modes on PC games are pretty much dead and buried anyway. Unless we talk about online co-op which is different.
    Depending on game, I'd play co-op more on consoles than PC. But friends play most games on PC anyway so meh.
    Journey co-op etc seems really cool

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackdemenzes View Post
    Funnily enough, I just took the plunge and bought a PS3 after being a PC gamer for 15 years (as in...the last console I owned was a SNES!) about three days ago. I wanted a Blu-Ray player, so that made the rationalisation easier.

But also I was thinking more about console-exclusive games and how Xbox exclusive games tend to come to PC...eventually. Alak Wake took years but they released it eventually. I suppose it's less of a negative for Microsoft to port to PC than it is Sony. So yes I had my friend telling my all about Heavy Rain and the Uncharted series and I finally caved.

I sort of understand what he means. I do think gaming on the PC has greater potential (and don't even get me started on playing an FPS with a controller). So it shouldn't be less, but it generally tends to be because of developer laziness, the port feels like a bit of an afterthought. I've played PC ports that still refer to Xbox buttons in some of the menus. That sort of thing.

EDIT: Oh unless you're talking about Dark Souls specifically, can't weigh in on that one!
    I don't watch enough movies, nor do I have any of the movies bought in solid copies.
    As far as PC ports go, the games that are poor ports are often games I consider to be poor in general. Them being ports just makes them poorer.
    I have found no game franchise so far that interests me that I can't get for my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticsnow View Post
    I'm just going to answer the question in the title, not about just one or two consoles.

Console games are great for when you have a group of friends over who want to game at the same time. Having them drag over their laptops/Pc, or sharing a tiny screen of some other type of computer is not nearly as fun as a large screen tv. This is just one reason to have a console.
    I don't know anyone that's interested in gaming. And the people I do know that are, I don't know well enough to invite them home =p

I've been looking at the titles available and I can't really find any gaming titles for either console that I can't either get for PC, or simply don't justify the purchase of a console.

---------- Post added 2012-10-07 at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wrien View Post
    I'm afraid I'm far too used to playing FPS games on my PC. It'd be like putting square wheels on a car.

---------- Post added 2012-10-07 at 08:14 PM ----------

I have an xbox mainly for fifa games, they're pretty much made for consoles, the PC version of Fifa tells you to press A and B etc, which I find rather amusing (if you don't use a controller on your PC). So yeah for sports games, I think consoles is where it's at. But most other genres I'd play on PC. I don't play fighting games but apparently they're much better on consoles too.

As for if you should get an xbox or ps3, only you can decide that really. They both have their exclusive games, ps3 has a bluray player and free online, xbox has (imo) more comfortable controllers but paid online. My mate has a ps3 and I get handcramp using his ps3 controllers lol, but I have rather big hands. Really I'd just look which exclusive games you prefer more and decide from there.
    It would be adventure or RPG genre games that would hold my interest, but many such titles for the PS3 are often ones I really don't like, like many Japanese titles that I find horrendous. And some games are available for PC as well.
    I've been unable to find enough games to justify it.

I can understand someone buying a console if they have a poor PC or no PC at all. But if you, like me, have a monster PC, getting a console only seems like a downgrade in all ways.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2012-10-07 at 06:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some games just play better on a console.
    But in the same margin, some games just play better on a PC.

I got my Xbox 360 around the time it was released simply due to the fact I could afford a £300+ console, but not a £1200+ gaming PC. That hasn't really changed.

If you were seriously looking to get a console, I would wait until the next generation. The 360 has been out for over 10 years now, and that is in a way where a console can shine. For those who don't have a monster PC, they can buy games for that long without having to worry about "Will my system handle this". Yeah, the PC version of the same game might look better, but you need a great PC to handle it, which ultimately costs more than the console.
    Last edited by Krothar; 2012-10-07 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Moar!

10+ Year Old Account
    The reassurance that the games will run on your platform is nice. no need to get better drivers or run any crazy updates that could effect other games.

split screen multiplayer, much better than having to have a few friends bring over their computers and find a place to set them up to play.

some games just don't get released for a computer.

cheaper to buy a new console every five years than to replace a computer. (a new video card alone could run the cost of a console)

1 controller vs a keyboard and mouse. much easier to play in bed, or standing, or sitting in a chair.

**On the other hand**

I do enjoy PC gaming better for certain games for better graphics, more control options and mods.

I can understand someone buying a console if they have a poor PC or no PC at all. But if you, like me, have a monster PC, getting a console only seems like a downgrade in all ways.
    So do I. But there are far too many games that will never see the day light on the PC.

And to answer the original question. It's for the games.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    No reason at all. They are in every way you can possebly think of inferior to a PC.

The only thing that might give the slightest consideration is mobility.
    I hate by far the majority of games on the PC, especially bad ports like Dead Space and Mass Effect compared to their console counterparts. Plagued by bad controls and more (press A, B, X, Y, L1, L2, R1, R2 etc).

As a Nintendo fan a console is a must, you can't play any Nintendo games on the PC without the use of emulators, and emulators suck compared to the real deal, not even close to the real experience. So yeah, as you can read consoles definately aren't inferior to the PC in any way. Consoles were made for gaming, gaming is just a side thing to do on the PC.

because there's tons of console exclusive games. that was always the reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

No reason at all. They are in every way you can possebly think of inferior to a PC.

The only thing that might give the slightest consideration is mobility.
    Some games are console exclusive, decent games,

I just thought of that as a reason, as you did with saying mobility, so please, dont derail this thread and make it a console v pc argument,

---------- Post added 2012-10-07 at 07:42 PM ----------

Maybe because I played a console FPS before a pc FPS, but I have to disagree with you, I turn up my sensitivity, and Im off on a rampage on a shooter, I try it on a computer and I get killed within moments
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Some games are console exclusive, decent games,

I just thought of that as a reason, as you did with saying mobility, so please, dont derail this thread and make it a console v pc argument
    That is basically what this thread is.

I don't think any of the console exclusives are any good. And if you want, i'm sure there are emulators out there able to turn your pc into any console you like.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I should mention though, is to wait for the next generation consoles. Well... that may take a while, but still!

Consoles are starting to lack the power needed for the newer games (if it's a PC port mainly). Causing fps drops / lags, etc.

Though one thing on console is and always will be, consistency. No two PS3, Xbox360, Wii, will have any different spec.

Deleted

I don't think any of the console exclusives are any good. And if you want, i'm sure there are emulators out there able to turn your pc into any console you like.
    I play on my PC 90% of the time and consider myself a proper well balanced gamer (most of the time) but if you cant honestly say that some exclusives for consoles look good then youre just not worthy to be taken seriously. I dont like racing games etc but i can appreciate some people do and some are very good.. even though they arent my cup of tea i still give credit where credit is due.
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2012-10-07 at 08:10 PM.

I'll just reply to your last message so I don't go back and select parts of your messages to talk about. You seem like a happy PC nutter and I personally like all gaming platforms regardless of fans, however I'd say you should pick up either Xbox360, PS3 or a Wii just for the fun of it. The Xbox360 in particular has been around for 7 years and no PC from that day can run the games the console keeps pushing. While nowdays the Xbox360 runs games at 720p native and upscales them to 1080 you will not find a computer to do the same from that time period. Your computer is new but with the upcoming yet it is far from being the best and you will be forced yet again to upgrade if you want to keep up the pace with consoles.

Regardless of what you're currently playing you'd have to keep yourself hidden not to see that for the last decade console exclusives have turned up with Game of the Year awards and, while you'll probably find this surprising, best graphics last year was won by Uncharted 3 which is a PS3 exclusive. You could go and give a few bucks to rent those games and give them a try. I guarantee you'll be swept off your feet from games such as Zelda, Uncharted, Mario Galaxy, Gears of War, Forza, God of War. Those games defined their genres and raised the bar. If not for Xbox360 you wouldn't have Mass Effect since the first game was set as a launch title for the console and its development was founded by Microsoft.

Gaming is a nifty hobby and I personally love fighting games. Right now that's a nearly dead genre for PC gamers and you just can't find any games that can match DoA5, Mortal Kombat or Tekken in terms of graphics, attention to details, deep combat system and fun multi-player.

Because of the vast number of exclusive games consoles have more (local) Co-Op games than PC which do not require a LAN (which you can also do with a console) or internet connection (again same thing). PC gaming has evolved towards Online Only games and unfortunetly that trend has been passed on to single player games (DRM, always online connection to play etc.) which plagues a lot of games.

While a controller can be used to play games on your PC you may be surprised to find out that few games are actually built with a controller in mind. Only a handful of MMOs allow you to accurately use a controller and games ported from consoles may actually miss the well oiled controller integration. I'm saying this from experience as I've found out that more often then not I'd have to spend 10-20 minutes or more jumping from menu to menu just to find the optimal configuration in order to play a game. That's time WASTED. Instead of enjoying the game I have to go thru a ton of setup and activations which I personally dislike.

Oh and lets not even mention those driver issues. Not all games run well on different PC configurations. Sometimes you'll have to wait for either nVidia or ATi to step up their game and release a driver so that you can use your PC to its full potential in game X. This doesn't happen on consoles. Due to the fact that each console has a static configuration that doesn't change over time the developers can maximize the performance on said parts and make games that will take full advantage of the console. Not to mention that any dashboard (or as you may call it console operating system) you may require comes already packed in the game disk so you don't have to spend a second online to download anything.

Each console generation is made to last 5-10 years and while there have been some exceptions to this rule in the past (virtual boy comes to mind) any of the 3 major consoles is a great investment for gaming. I personally prefer a console and right now, with both the "old" exclusives that already cemented gaming genres and upcoming games (and I haven't even touched the fact that some multiplatform games appear early on consoles rather than PC - take the Assassin Creed series) it's a good time as any to jump on and squeeze some fun out of those 200-300 USD (or less depeding on what price offer you get from your local store).

Edit: Oh snicker bars and I forgot to mention that you just can't emulate any of the current gen consoles even tho they're 7 years old by now on any state of the art PC. Heck even the top PS2 emulator available can only run a handful of games well and requires a lot of PC POWAAAAAAAAAAAA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Maybe because I played a console FPS before a pc FPS, but I have to disagree with you, I turn up my sensitivity, and Im off on a rampage on a shooter, I try it on a computer and I get killed within moments
    I'm not saying it's not possible for people to like playing an FPS game on a console more than PC, all I'm saying is that I personally think a mouse and keyboard will always be superior for playing an fps compared to a controller, I just don't believe you can aim as accurately and as quickly with a controller as you can with a mouse. That's probably why you get killed within moments if you play an FPS on PC, because you're playing against people used to using a mouse to aim.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-10-07 at 08:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    While nowdays the Xbox360 runs games at 720p native and upscales them to 1080 you will not find a computer to do the same from that time period.

If not for Xbox360 you wouldn't have Mass Effect since the first game was set as a launch title for the console and its development was founded by Microsoft.

While a controller can be used to play games on your PC you may be surprised to find out that few games are actually built with a controller in mind. Only a handful of MMOs allow you to accurately use a controller and games ported from consoles may actually miss the well oiled controller integration. I'm saying this from experience as I've found out that more often then not I'd have to spend 10-20 minutes or more jumping from menu to menu just to find the optimal configuration in order to play a game. That's time WASTED. Instead of enjoying the game I have to go thru a ton of setup and activations which I personally dislike.

Oh and lets not even mention those driver issues. Not all games run well on different PC configurations. Sometimes you'll have to wait for either nVidia or ATi to step up their game and release a driver so that you can use your PC to its full potential in game X. This doesn't happen on consoles. Due to the fact that each console has a static configuration that doesn't change over time the developers can maximize the performance on said parts and make games that will take full advantage of the console. Not to mention that any dashboard (or as you may call it console operating system) you may require comes already packed in the game disk so you don't have to spend a second online to download anything.

Each console generation is made to last 5-10 years and while there have been some exceptions to this rule in the past (virtual boy comes to mind) any of the 3 major consoles is a great investment for gaming. I personally prefer a console and right now, with both the "old" exclusives that already cemented gaming genres and upcoming games (and I haven't even touched the fact that some multiplatform games appear early on consoles rather than PC - take the Assassin Creed series) it's a good time as any to jump on and squeeze some fun out of those 200-300 USD (or less depeding on what price offer you get from your local store).

Edit: Oh snicker bars and I forgot to mention that you just can't emulate any of the current gen consoles even tho they're 7 years old by now on any state of the art PC. Heck even the top PS2 emulator available can only run a handful of games well and requires a lot of PC POWAAAAAAAAAAAA.
    Don't remember any of the 360 games being un-runnable on PC back when it first came out... just look at oblivion, which had HD mods even back then.

I played 600+ hours of Mass Effect on 360 back when it first came out (had no PC anyway) and when I got it last xmas steam sale I found it much better on PC. They even redesigned the electronics/decryption minigames.

Never had this problem, used my pad on Batman: AC, Dark Souls and Beat Hazard, no issues.

Yeah drivers can sometimes need updating/rolling back, but don't pretend that consoles are 100% fine with every game released. Just look at Skyrim on PS3 :\

Really couldn't care about anything console exclusive atm (well, maybe FF-13 Versus... if it turned out well).

PS2 emulation is actually one of the best with most games actually completable, very few games give me any issues running at 1080p and 4xAA due to it really using quite a bit of GPU power, far exceeding most "HD" remakes. Gamecube tends to push most of it CPU though so can have some issues depending on the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    It would be adventure or RPG genre games that would hold my interest, but many such titles for the PS3 are often ones I really don't like, like many Japanese titles that I find horrendous. And some games are available for PC as well.
    I've been unable to find enough games to justify it.

In my opinion, there are only a select few genres that are 'better played on a console' than on a PC, sports games being an example I used earlier. I played Fifa 12 on PC and now have Fifa 13 on my xbox, and I just find it so much more enjoyable on my xbox, even if my computer specs are better than that of my xbox. Fifa was made to be played on a console, you can tell because the PC version of Fifa is pretty much a direct copy of the xbox version, menu options are shown with A, B Y and X etc. Of course you can use a controller on your PC, but for someone without one, who plans to use their keyboard, that can be a little confusing at first.

But as I said, I personally feel most genres are better played on PC. I made a thread a week or 2 ago if I should get the new NFS Most Wanted on console and PC, and the verdict was pretty much that it would be better on PC due to your hardware specs etc, granted you either have a wheel and pedals or a controller you can use for playing the game (as playing a racing game with keyboard is apparently the worst choice compared to a controller or wheel/pedals, and I have to own up, I've played previous NFS titles on my PC with keyboard :P So using a controller is going to take some getting used too...).

For adventure and RPG I'd personally stick to PC.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-10-07 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I'll just reply to your last message so I don't go back and select parts of your messages to talk about. You seem like a happy PC nutter and I personally like all gaming platforms regardless of fans, however I'd say you should pick up either Xbox360, PS3 or a Wii just for the fun of it. The Xbox360 in particular has been around for 7 years and no PC from that day can run the games the console keeps pushing. While nowdays the Xbox360 runs games at 720p native and upscales them to 1080 you will not find a computer to do the same from that time period. Your computer is new but with the upcoming yet it is far from being the best and you will be forced yet again to upgrade if you want to keep up the pace with consoles.
    <Wall of text continued>
    I have an Xbox 360. And honestly i regret ever having bought it because i never really play on it. I simply can't enjoy my time playing it.
    The only time i appreciate a console is at a friend's because it's so much faster to set up than a PC LAN party.

I've played pretty much every big console exclusive out there, and the only one that actually had some time put in was gran turismo. But that wasn't on a console of myself. And if i would have had that i would never have played it either.

If you think my vision is deluded because i would refuse to try a console, you are simply wrong. I've played on all of them, but always fall back to a PC really really quickly.

As of setting up a controller, you do that once. That time is absolutely insignificant compared to the total time investment to the game. And configurations and costumization is good. Consoles HEAVYLY limit the ability to costumize your game.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    Don't remember any of the 360 games being un-runnable on PC back when it first came out... just look at oblivion, which had HD mods even back then.

I played 600+ hours of Mass Effect on 360 back when it first came out (had no PC anyway) and when I got it last xmas steam sale I found it much better on PC. They even redesigned the electronics/decryption minigames.

Never had this problem, used my pad on Batman: AC, Dark Souls and Beat Hazard, no issues.

Yeah drivers can sometimes need updating/rolling back, but don't pretend that consoles are 100% fine with every game released. Just look at Skyrim on PS3 :\

Really couldn't care about anything console exclusive atm (well, maybe FF-13 Versus... if it turned out well).

PS2 emulation is actually one of the best with most games actually completable, very few games give me any issues running at 1080p and 4xAA due to it really using quite a bit of GPU power, far exceeding most "HD" remakes. Gamecube tends to push most of it CPU though so can have some issues depending on the game.
    You've misread me. What I am saying is that no PC from 2005-2006 can run games such as Skyrim, Arkham City, BF3 etc. (either at all or to the same graphical fidelity) that are available for the Xbox360 or PS3 who were available since then.

I've already mentioned on my original post on this topic that 3rd party studios that work with Unreal graphics engine or others work better on Xbox360 than on PS3.

I've personally had a lot of issues with controllers on PC ports that forced me to either stick with the mouse and keyboard or dig online for 3rd party software that made me configure my joystick to act in a certain way.

As for the PS2 emulator there are severe limitations on both available library and actually 100% playable games (some games, while they start, crash mid-way or even near the end). I can't say I own a lot of HD remakes but I can say that the Halo 1 remake is far superior to the PC version due to engine swapping (which I hope we'll see in more remakes).

As for ME1's redesigned minigames I can't say it made me feel better in any way. I've played first the PC version then the Xbox360 version. I think "Simon Says" was a bit quicker for decryption but either version didn't have a huge impact over the game.