Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well like people said, buy a console if it has games you want to play on it. And you can't get them on PC (or the ports suck... honest to god, how hard is it to port a game?).
    It's pretty complex. Console games are developed around very specific hardware and "operating systems", and are HEAVILY optimized to be able to run on such outdated hardware. Much of that effort and work doesn't apply directly to PCs, so my understanding is that in a lot of ways, the same game is really two different games under the hood when you're talking about PC versus console.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticsnow View Post
    I'm just going to answer the question in the title, not about just one or two consoles.

Console games are great for when you have a group of friends over who want to game at the same time. Having them drag over their laptops/Pc, or sharing a tiny screen of some other type of computer is not nearly as fun as a large screen tv. This is just one reason to have a console.
    Why do you even want to sit in front of tv and play games is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    Because playing multiplayer games with friends is fun? Try a fifa tournament or something with a bunch of guys, always 2 people playing and the rest is just talking and maybe watching the replay's and such.

Main advantage of consoles is splitscreen multiplayering imo, just not the same as everyone on their own screen/desk like LAN.
    I very much prefer controller over keyboard/mouse aswell.
    Actually, I have barely any pc games and quite a few xbox ones. I dont think a game like Assassin's Creed would feel as good on the pc, but might just be me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Why a console?
    1 - Exclusive games
    2 - Split-Screen
    3 - No new hardware upgrade required
    4 - Controller
    5 - Co-Op games
    6 - Cheaper than a gaming PC

Why an Xbox360?
    1 - No mandatory install for games
    2 - Quality internet service
    3 - XBLA games
    4 - Controller
    5 - Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Fable
    6 - Kinect is better than Move (tho games aren't on par with Wii) and is also featured as a voice recognition in games to help remove menu interface
    7 - 3rd party developers running with Unreal engine usually get games to play smoother/better (Bayoneta, ME2&3, AC 1 & 2 etc.)
    8 - More Co-Op games (due to exclusives)

Why a PS3?
    1 - Free online
    2 - God of War, Killzone, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Heavy Rain
    3 - Blu-Ray player
    4 - Upcoming exclusive titles (? - unknown quality on those)

Why a Wii / WiiU?
    1 - Quality Nintendo titles
    2 - Backwards compatible
    3 - Best motion tracking controller out of the 3
    4 - Bayoneta 2, Rayman Legends, ZombiiU (for the WiiU exclusives)
    Lol, i have a counter list for pc right here:

- the ability to plug in anything you want from a controler, joystick, steering wheel or anything you desire
    - You can have your own set up instead of being forced to play the hardware given to you by multi dollar companies
    - The ability to see what is on a screen instead having look on a monitor which have room away from you
    - the games for pc are cheaper then on xbox or ps3
    - the ability to play with your friends by internet, lan and etc
    - you can still play your games when tv is busy, when the rest of the family is watching news, or doing other things on the television.

---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 02:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hunty View Post
    Because playing multiplayer games with friends is fun? Try a fifa tournament or something with a bunch of guys, always 2 people playing and the rest is just talking and maybe watching the replay's and such.

Main advantage of consoles is splitscreen multiplayering imo, just not the same as everyone on their own screen/desk like LAN.
    I very much prefer controller over keyboard/mouse aswell.
    Actually, I have barely any pc games and quite a few xbox ones. I dont think a game like Assassin's Creed would feel as good on the pc, but might just be me.
    Isn't it better to play football in real, i mean go out and play it by yourself ?

Maybe i am too old for that, but what you are saying reminds me when i had 12 to 13 years old, for me playing should be made when you have free time after work, that no one is bothering you.

10+ Year Old Account
    This can't be a serious post. And of all places on the internet so see such a comment...

---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 01:08 PM ----------

Lol, i have a counter list for pc right here
    This shouldn't be an exercise in quid pro quo bullshit. The bottom line is this, Everything has exclusive titles. As such, if you consider yourself a "gamer" you should have ALL mediums available to you. End of story.

Gaming is a rather cheap hobby to have in the grand scheme of things so suck it up, save your dough, and budget accordingly.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2012-10-12 at 01:09 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Isn't it better to play football in real, i mean go out and play it by yourself ?

Maybe i am too old for that, but what you are saying reminds me when i had 12 to 13 years old, for me playing should be made when you have free time after work, that no one is bothering you.
    Depends on the situation. To play football for real we'd need a location, ball, probably have to get there in some sort of sportswear and decent weather would be nice. We can play fifa at 1 am while having a beer just because someone sent a text at 11 pm and thats about it. Not to mention other problems like my knee injury preventing me from running more than 10 yards. Try to keep a wider view of the world, your very own perception is not the only option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hunty View Post
    Depends on the situation. To play football for real we'd need a location, ball, probably have to get there in some sort of sportswear and decent weather would be nice. We can play fifa at 1 am while having a beer just because someone sent a text at 11 pm and thats about it. Not to mention other problems like my knee injury preventing me from running more than 10 yards. Try to keep a wider view of the world, your very own perception is not the only option.
    To be fair you could play FIFA on a PC without even having to go to someone else's house. But playing side by side for sports titles is usually a lot more fun
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    This can't be a serious post. And of all places on the internet so see such a comment...
    I just do not like and enjoy playing infront of a tv, plus i prefer single player experience over multi player, so when in comes to playing games i prefer to be alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just do not like and enjoy playing infront of a tv, plus i prefer single player experience over multi player, so when in comes to playing games i prefer to be alone.
    Let me get this straight... You don't enjoy being in front of a TV and playing video games, but you like being in front of a monitor and playing video games.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    That is basically what this thread is.

I don't think any of the console exclusives are any good. And if you want, i'm sure there are emulators out there able to turn your pc into any console you like.
    No it's not. He asked why he should get a console, said nothing about PC's at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    No it's not. He asked why he should get a console, said nothing about PC's at all.
    Why get a console, instead of a pc? thats basically what it is.

Unless the OP meant to just compare consoles alone. In which case "Why get console X instead of Y" or "Why get a specific console over the other" would have been a better opening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well like people said, buy a console if it has games you want to play on it. And you can't get them on PC (or the ports suck... honest to god, how hard is it to port a game?).
    Quite hard to some extent. Especially if it was based off PS3 first. Since nowadays the popular use is DirectX for PC as opposed to what PS3 uses is OpenGL.
    Easier for Xbox to PC ports, and harder for PS3 to PC ports. Xbox has more resemblance to Windows, PS3, nope.
    Hardware differences also causes problems, and of course there are lazy lazy ports.

It is a lot simpler to make one game for one / two devices than it does to make one game for potentially thousands of devices (hardware, software, whatever differences).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    or you do what the OP asked and the mod pointed out - compare them with each other ;op

---------- Post added 2012-10-11 at 06:17 AM ----------

dont forget gran turismo as a ps3 exclusive.

I don't think i'm ever forced to download games onto my PS3 O_o (unless i buy them from the PS store ofc) I've got a 120Gb PS3 and mine is far from full even with a shit load of video media saved on it...

the other bonus to PS3 (xbox might be able to do it as well?) is that once its on your home network you can use it to play media from the computers on the network on your TV (I imagine Xbox can probably do it too though) which was handy for me as although I have a cable to lug my TV into my computer anyway, i've never figured out how to send the sound down the cable too, so the sounds come from my PC's 5.1 off at a 60% angle from my TV which is frigging annoying! =p
    Really? Is there an option somewhere where you can choose not to download the whole game to the hard drive? Everytime I get a new PS3 game it goes straight to downloading the updates and then the game itself, at least for most of them.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Console vs. PC

-Console is generally more socially accepted.
    -Easier to bring friends over to play on a console. (Consoles are usually hooked up to larger TV's, 4 controllers vs. mouse and keyboard with smaller monitor.)

Console vs. Console
    -The only things I can throw in here are....
    1. PS3 online play is free (but in turn the PSN gets hacked way to much, poor support, etc.)
    2. Xbox 360 gets more support and faster more frequent updates (but in turn costs a subscription for their service.)
    3. The Nintendo Wii/Wii U is extremely family oriented and beats both PS3 and Xbox 360 on party type games.

Everything else after all that is just console flaming, none of them are necessarily better than the other, but all have their own pros and cons. The trick is learning which pros you are fine with and which cons you are fine with and sticking to that. For me, even though Xbox 360 lacks some games that are PS3 only, and graphics on the 360 are generally worse than PS3, the fact that Xbox 360 is the first to get updates and stuff on my favorite games wins me over every time. Oh, plus PS3 will never get the Halo franchise, which really makes me happy.
    Call me House.

Deleted
    To play the zelda and super smash bros games.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think consoles do some things very well, and I think PC does some things very well.

I own both a gaming PC and an XBox360. I've thought about getting a PS3 but have never really felt the need.

Owning one of the two (xbox or ps) is good if you're an active gamer. If you're interested in the titles then go for it. I know many PC gamers prefer PC and play PC exclusively and many console gamers feel the same way about console.

There isn't really a downside to owning a console. The systems themselves are affordable now and you can get games for a decent price if you go 2nd hand. The aftermarket advantage for console games is a plus if you get bored quickly with games. Aftermarket PC games are hard to come by and I wouldn't really trust one if I found it. That being said I notice that PC titles come down in price faster than console titles.

If you have a good gaming PC and have the money, a console is a good investment if you'll actually play it. My xbox kinda sits there a lot of the time as i'm mostly on my PC and choose to game PC since I'm here already.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Far as I'm concerned there is exactly one reason to acquire ANY gaming platform: It has games you want to play on that system.

All other reasons are fluff... Except maybe buying a PS3 because it's one of the cheapest Blu-Ray players on the market. I could see that. It was at one point. I don't know if it still is.
    lol? The PS3 is the most expensive Blu Ray player on the market. Internal Blu Ray readers for desktops are less then 100 dollars, and stand alone players can be had for as little as 80 bucks.

I wouldn't buy a console for anything these days. I have a Wii U on pre-order, but only because it will give gamer's a unique experience, whereas the PS3 and 360 are the same devices with better graphics as consoles that were out 10-20 years ago, they offer nothing unique. Besides, why would anyone want to play platforms bloated with FPS games that have auto aim controls and no worthwhile local multiplayer games? Who wants to pay to play their console games online? 50 bucks a year that get's you nothing you can't have on the PC for free.

The only games the PS3 and 360 have that I want, are Gran Turismo 5, NHL games and Forza 3, otherwise everything else that I want to play is on the PC and has better controls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I think consoles do some things very well, and I think PC does some things very well.

I own both a gaming PC and an XBox360. I've thought about getting a PS3 but have never really felt the need.

Owning one of the two (xbox or ps) is good if you're an active gamer. If you're interested in the titles then go for it. I know many PC gamers prefer PC and play PC exclusively and many console gamers feel the same way about console.

There isn't really a downside to owning a console. The systems themselves are affordable now and you can get games for a decent price if you go 2nd hand. The aftermarket advantage for console games is a plus if you get bored quickly with games. Aftermarket PC games are hard to come by and I wouldn't really trust one if I found it. That being said I notice that PC titles come down in price faster than console titles.

If you have a good gaming PC and have the money, a console is a good investment if you'll actually play it. My xbox kinda sits there a lot of the time as i'm mostly on my PC and choose to game PC since I'm here already.
    PCs don't really get aftermarket sales, but we do get Steam sales, GOG.com, Humble Indie Bundle, and stuff like that

After seeing this

already rendered on 1 gtx 680 (when was presented first time was run on 3x580) there is really no reason becouse probably everything next console generation can offer will be worse...

10+ Year Old Account
    Why?

If you're speaking solely of a PS3, my answer would be the Blu-Ray player capability and the games that Sony does have exclusive to the system.
    If you're speaking in a general sense, there have to be games that attract your attention in addition to giving you features you desire.

Towards the one post I saw earlier (cannot be bothered to thumb back through and link) speaking of console inferiority versus PC: Duh? Graphically consoles have always been a generation (at least) behind versus PC capability. Yet there have been many titles exclusive to individual consoles (or portable game systems) that haven't seen the light of day on a PC. It's also wondrous to watch the evolution of how far games progress on a given system. For example, think of early PS2 titles versus games that came out much later in the console's shelf-life, like God of War. Truly amazing stuff.

#FlightIsImportant