Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Why do hunters have such horrible rotations? (Survival)

It might only be for Survival, but I am seriously hating our shot priority/rotation at the moment.

We have two dots to maintain (Black Arrow + SS). We have to maintain focus for whenever ES or BA goes off cooldown. We have to throw in Glaive Toss whenever we have time, and use Arcane Shot if we have too much focus. We have 3 DPS cooldowns, with another 30 second "mini-cooldown". On top of this, we have readiness so we need to re-use most of them.

The shot priority just feels so cluttered. I'm not sure why Blizzard has given us so many damn cooldowns, or why they decided "hey, you know what hunters need? another button to press when they hit 90!". Glaive Toss does not need to exist. Dire Beast should be a proc or something, because as of right now, it's just a pain to cast it every 30 seconds. SS is really lacking, and could easily be fixed by removing Black Arrow and putting L&L proc on Serpent Sting.

Are the other specs any better? I've heard people talking about BM, but I have never liked BM since TBC (haven't really tried it much, though). What do you think Blizzard should do to fix this?

10+ Year Old Account
    id be happy as a hunter if they just got rid of the push back on powershot..... i feel bad pullin an entire room in a dungeon with a single shot
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Oh dude. BM is similar but worse. lol.

Especially on the opening with the use of readiness..

10+ Year Old Account
    Dire Beast should be a proc and the L90 talent tier needs to have a passive ability in place of Powershot. Powershot is bad and boring. It's basically Aimed Shot with a cooldown, which is not cool.

Oh, and please remove readiness and re-balance us with that in mind. I don't mind spamming 8 cooldowns at the start too much, but doing it twice and not focus capping is just clunky and annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont mind survival, but bm is such a spamfest of cds...

Deleted
    hmm what about replacing dire beast with thrill of the hunt, if you don´t like to press so many buttons.

We went from having no CD's as surv, to having multiple. I'm happy for the change, to be honest. It widens the gap between good and bad players, which they'd been narrowing down ever since getting rid of stutter stepping in ICC, and latest by removing Arcane shot from Lock and Load.

Quote Originally Posted by psychomatze View Post
    hmm what about replacing dire beast with thrill of the hunt, if you don´t like to press so many buttons.
    Because IIRC it's a significantly worse choice.

You get used to them after a while, at least as SV. The only thing i hate a lot right now is the focus cost on aMoC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Survival is the only spec keeping me playing my hunter atm. I love survival and i'm going to keep using it over BM as long as i possibly can.

/cast Arcane Shot
    /cast Glaive Toss
    /cast Dire Beast

--Mash that button.

Fixed your Dire Beast AND Glaive Toss problem. It probably doesn't work as well as manually using them, and you might waste a Dire Beast every once in a while, but hell, it works. Now we are back to 4.3 with the addition of A Murder of Crows and Readiness and Stampede, so basically our normal rotation is normal. Survival is pretty simple to play, the way I see it.

Don't forget with Readiness, you can double-up your A Murder of Crows on fights with multiple targets.

Note: I was about to ask if Glaive Toss can be macro'd like Dire Beast was, went into game to test that out, and it works pretty well. I always forget to cast Glaive Toss on cooldown so this will probably help me a bit.

Edit: After a bit of "testing", it delays Glaive Toss and Dire Beast a bit, but it's better than forgetting to use it.
    Last edited by Jeremypwnz; 2012-10-07 at 12:36 PM.

Maybe I'm just a bad player after all, but after all these years (nearly) without CDs to watch out for, I'm feeling overwhelmed and confused.

Leveled as BM at the beginning of BC and raided as BM until 3.0.8. Then switched to SV and kept raiding. Got the change to focus without noticeable problems. Took a secondary MM spec just for Beth'tilac hm, but sticked to SV otherwise.

And now ... I'm playing BM again, but I don't get a feeling for when to use all these little CDs. Give Glaive Toss a bigger CD and compensate it with more damage, so that I don't have to use it on CD. Dire Beast as a proc would be nice, too.

Maybe it's finally time to either quit or reroll. I just don't see myself raiding with my hunter outside of LFR. I'm 90 for a week and haven't even tried 'heroics'.

Deleted
    i dropped direbeast for Thrill of the Hunt

it worked better for me with the keybinds i was used too and the already extra ones i had.
    though i must admit that at some points i need too remind myself too cast a cobra shot cause else serpent sting falls of between all the free shots im able too shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    /cast Arcane Shot
    /cast Glaive Toss
    /cast Dire Beast

--Mash that button.

Fixed your Dire Beast AND Glaive Toss problem. It probably doesn't work as well as manually using them, and you might waste a Dire Beast every once in a while, but hell, it works. Now we are back to 4.3 with the addition of A Murder of Crows and Readiness and Stampede, so basically our normal rotation is normal. Survival is pretty simple to play, the way I see it.

Don't forget with Readiness, you can double-up your A Murder of Crows on fights with multiple targets.

Note: I was about to ask if Glaive Toss can be macro'd like Dire Beast was, went into game to test that out, and it works pretty well. I always forget to cast Glaive Toss on cooldown so this will probably help me a bit.

Edit: After a bit of "testing", it delays Glaive Toss and Dire Beast a bit, but it's better than forgetting to use it.
    AMAZING!
    it *kinda* works

Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    AMAZING!
    it *kinda* works
    Somehow what you said is just awesome with your avatar.

Maybe for no reason at all, we can add more to it.

#showtooltip
    /petattack [@pettarget,noexists]
    /cast [nomod] Arcane Shot
    /cast [nomod] Glaive Toss
    /cast [nomod] Dire Beast
    /cast [nomod] Explosive Shot
    /cast [nomod] A Murder of Crows
    /cast [nomod] Rapid Fire
    /cast [nomod] Stampede
    /cast [mod:shift] Multishot
    /use 10
    /use 14
    /cancelaura Deterrence
    /cancelaura Hand of Protection

(Pointless macro that means absolutely nothing, don't use it)

Now I wanna see if somehow it works.. I'll be back.

Edit1: It gets cut out after Stampede on the macro menu.
    Edit2: It broke.
    Last edited by Jeremypwnz; 2012-10-07 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    Somehow what you said is just awesome with your avatar.
    well, i didn't even intend to replace my buttons with your macro as i thought it can't even work (because arcane should be spammed and the other two not even getting in the casting que), but magically it appeared to work most of the time.

i don't think i gonna keep DB in it, but reducing the amount of buttons at least by one is already a huge step

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like blizz wanted to make SV different than the other specs so it was given more CD's and dots.

doesnt MM have like 4 different rotations they have to use?

10+ Year Old Account
    I just switched to beastmaster last night, and i have to say it's alot more powerful. I always preferd survival since wotlk released, but beastmaster is head and shoulders above survival atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinachsandwich View Post
    I just switched to beastmaster last night, and i have to say it's alot more powerful. I always preferd survival since wotlk released, but beastmaster is head and shoulders above survival atm.
    Doing surv wrong then .