I really prefer reading fantasy series that last quite a long time. I'm defining epic fantasy as:
1. NOT sci-fi
2. At least four books in the series
Secondly, I don't really like series that are aimed specifically at teenagers and young adults. If people typically read it at 14, I probably don't want to.
I haven't read so many epic series, but I'll list the ones I have in my order of preference to give you an idea of what I like. Any help?
1. Malazan Book of the Fallen (loved the characters to death, I got past the terrible storytelling that left massive gaps and confusion in its wake)
2. Wheel of Time
3. Game of Thrones
4. Dark Tower (didn't like the modern-day reality tie-ins)
5. Lord of the Rings
6. Riftwar Saga (I thought all of the characters were flat and the storylines were extremely predictable)
7. Sword of Truth (Only read the first book, never got into it - not interested)