Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GTX670 Temperature.

Hey,

So i recently purchased an asus dcII gtx670. And i noticed it's quiet, really quiet. So quiet i went and enabled in-game monitoring.
    During an intensive game it runs up to 65-71degrees, with the fan still at 10%. Is this by design, or would it be better to bump the fanspeed a bit.
    If the GPU and thermal grease can handle this no problem, i'd rather keep the fan at the lowest RPM possible. Because these bearings are never really good in vga fans. (posted a thread about that one earlier).

Case it's housed in is a CM690 nvidia edition, with all the optional casefans, and an extra 80mm placed infront of the vga area. So i think airflow is quite sufficient.

EDIT: Also i checked out the PCB before i installed it, seems as though they fitted heatsinks on the power supply. This would mean they can run the fan so low by default. But this brings me back to the original question above

Thanks in advance

Maj.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2012-10-07 at 10:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is an "intensive game"?

Whenever I play BF3 my temps are at around 55-58 on stock settings.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that with vsync? Mainly with games that run without vsync @99% gpu load. Like crysis2, and metro2033. Borderlands2 it's arround 60 indeed.
    Card is stock settings aswell. But yours has a factory OC right

65~71 degrees isn't an issue tbh, you should only worry if it hits 85+. Using a program like MSI Afterburner or the like, you could set the fan speed manually as an alternative. I run my Palit 670 Jetstream at mildly overclocked settings, over the default OC (1085gpu/3300vram) with the fans set to 50%, which results in no more noise than idle mode, the card itself hitting about 45~50 degrees. However, if I set the fans at 56% or above, it instantly starts to sound like a mini vacuum cleaner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Is that with vsync? Mainly with games that run without vsync @99% gpu load. Like crysis2, and metro2033. Borderlands2 it's arround 60 indeed.
    Card is stock settings aswell. But yours has a factory OC right
    The factory OC is just a little bump, I bought the Top edition mainly for the backplate, I don't have Vsync turned on when I'm playing FPS games.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    The factory OC is just a little bump, I bought the Top edition mainly for the backplate, I don't have Vsync turned on when I'm playing FPS games.
    Backplate is also on the normal DCII, least on mine it is

Deleted
    Nothing wrong with those temps, don't worry about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Today i played some Crysis 2 (all dx11 features and highres textures) and it hit 78degrees. Same temps during Trine2 (@extreme). Now, these games are reknown for running the card hotter than normal, but can anyone with a similar card confirm? I've read it could have something to do with fastening the heatsink screws, but i'd rather not remove the card again if i don't have to.

Here's a furmark trend, if you dont have these games:
    it hit 81deg @ 49% fanspeed
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/03cac2214340206
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2012-10-09 at 08:10 PM.

Today i played some Crysis 2 (all dx11 features and highres textures) and it hit 78degrees. Same temps during Trine2 (@extreme). Now, these games are reknown for running the card hotter than normal, but can anyone with a similar card confirm? I've read it could have something to do with fastening the heatsink screws, but i'd rather not remove the card again if i don't have to.

That seems to me like a problem with airflow/case cooling. Was the system idling around 40~45 degrees? It appears to be starting quite high from the Afterburner charts. If so, you may want to look at ways of dispersing the heat more effectively, it looks more like the system can't pump out the hot air, so it's just sitting there.

My 670 idles at 27 degrees and intense gaming pushes it up to about 50~65, but as soon as I stop playing (within 1-2 minutes) it will be back down to 30~ degrees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    That seems to me like a problem with airflow/case cooling. Was the system idling around 40~45 degrees? It appears to be starting quite high from the Afterburner charts. If so, you may want to look at ways of dispersing the heat more effectively, it looks more like the system can't pump out the hot air, so it's just sitting there.

My 670 idles at 27 degrees and intense gaming pushes it up to about 50~65, but as soon as I stop playing (within 1-2 minutes) it will be back down to 30~ degrees.
    I took that screenshot after the 15min test. Zo it didn't have time to settle back again (you can see the graph still declining). Idle temperature is about 24 degrees(you can see that @ min temp). Casefans present: top 2x Yateloon 1500rpm 140mm blowing upwards, bot 1x140mm stock CM casefan blowing inwards, back 120mm enermax apollish blowing outwards, side: 80mm enermax apollish facing cards, front: 140mm stock casefan blowing inwards. It kept a SLI 460 system cool, i'm pretty convinced i got enough airflow.

But you said intense gaming, what about furmark? Because gaming doesn't nearly push the TDP like furmark does. Ill see if i can unplug the card and gently tighten the heatsink screws, but maybe contact ASUS first.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2012-10-10 at 11:32 AM.

Deleted
    the 670 throttles at 70C + keep it under that, whack the fan on auto and you most likely wont hear a peep out of it anyhu

I took that screenshot after the 15min test. Zo it didn't have time to settle back again (you can see the graph still declining). Idle temperature is about 24 degrees(you can see that @ min temp). Casefans present: top 2x Yateloon 1500rpm 140mm blowing upwards, bot 1x140mm stock CM casefan blowing inwards, back 120mm enermax apollish blowing outwards, side: 80mm enermax apollish facing cards, front: 140mm stock casefan blowing inwards. It kept a SLI 460 system cool, i'm pretty convinced i got enough airflow.

But you said intense gaming, what about furmark? Because gaming doesn't nearly push the TDP like furmark does. Ill see if i can unplug the card and gently tighten the heatsink screws, but maybe contact ASUS first.
    With that type of cooling in place, I would definitely expect it to run cooler. I'd agree with checking that the heatsink is properly seated and nothing's interfering with it. Furmark has the same results for me as the gaming I mentioned (Battlefield 3, 32-64 player maps, 1920x1080, everything ultra, 16xCSQAA). It may be worth getting the card RMA'ed, if you want to overclock it or the like, but if not, it is running within an acceptable range, just a little hotter than would be liked.

Addendum: Decided to go through some reviews of of the default 670s compared to the ASUS DCII and it seems as though the card is running at fairly standard temperatures for you. Testing at 52% fan speeds gave HARDROCP temperatures of about 68 degrees under full-load. However, if it is constantly hitting 84 degrees, you may have a minor issue.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-10-10 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Addendum

Love how everyone calls my GTX 465 hot running, ive never seen the card over 68c....while this person is reporting 71c on a brand new card with lower power usage which should translate into lower temps. Maybe reference just runs that much hotter than aftermarket versions like the twin frozr?

Also, triggy there is no way that card throttles at 70c. All things considered that is a reasonable temp for a GPU of any make/model, no way a manufacturer would set such strict limits on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Love how everyone calls my GTX 465 hot running, ive never seen the card over 68c....while this person is reporting 71c on a brand new card with lower power usage which should translate into lower temps. Maybe reference just runs that much hotter than aftermarket versions like the twin frozr?

Also, triggy there is no way that card throttles at 70c. All things considered that is a reasonable temp for a GPU of any make/model, no way a manufacturer would set such strict limits on that.
    The ASUS card is not refference, not in PCB or cooling (it uses a modified 680 board). However, i do agree it wont throttle at 70, because then i would've noticed it in games where it goes over 70.

So i redid the test again:

What makes me think it has bad contact is the initial bump in temperature. This goes a little bit fast, indicicating a lower thermal capacity, which would indicate bad contact. Going to verify by checking screws now.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2012-10-10 at 04:30 PM.

Surely this has been asked already, do you live in a hot area without air conditioning? This makes a massive difference.

Ahh just the core boost throttles, i can see that :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Aha, i see your point now also. From my first screenshot. Well i completely refitted the heatsink. But not a real big difference. Right now it's not really an issue i guess, if performance becomes an issue, ill bump the fan a bit. Thanks for the reactions thusfar!

For my location, see my description. I live in the netherlands, roomtemp is about 19-20deg. No AC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ahh just the core boost throttles, i can see that :P
    sorry should have clarified. trust me, 70 is the magic point and as Synthaxx stated its a kelper only feature because of the dynamic boost. I have my 670 under water so never go over 51c when stressing with furmark, never much over 40c while gaming . Love this card.

85c+ is getting hot but 91c was not abnormal for top 570 in sli configs. Considering these gpu's are rated to near same similar thermal specs your well far from the thermal limit, if your worried increase airflow.