Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Monk tanks, please stop.

Nothing gets me more angry than seeing Monk tanks SCK-tanking. It's the dumbest thing ever, and leads to a swift death for you and your entire party.

Listen, I understand you think that SCKing everything in sight over and over again is a great way to AoE tank, but it isn't. It's just a fast way to piss off your healer and get everyone in the group killed.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE learn how to play a Monk tank. Please do this before you give all Monks a bad name.

Deleted
    Awesome amount of information.

Deleted
    Reckon you could explain a bit more so us who aren't familiar with monk tanks know what you're talking about?

Pardon me, I'm just ignorant regarding monks at this point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Nothing gets me more angry than seeing Monk tanks SCK-tanking. It's the dumbest thing ever, and leads to a swift death for you and your entire party.

Listen, I understand you think that SCKing everything in sight over and over again is a great way to AoE tank, but it isn't. It's just a fast way to piss off your healer and get everyone in the group killed.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE learn how to play a Monk tank. Please do this before you give all Monks a bad name.
    As someone who has just come back to WoW and is planning to make their Panda Monk their main, could you give a bit more information? So far, I have mainly been concentrating on using the ale cleave with the fire breath to sustain AoE aggro.

More information about why SCK is bad for healers would be lovely and rather useful.

Deleted
    SCK tanking? What do you mean by this?

Spinning Crane Kick, although I don't know what it does to make you die more quickly

... erm... SCK?

Edit: oh, nvm.

I don't see what the problem is. You continue to dodge and parry while using Spinning Crane Kick, and it's a good way to generate AoE threat and chi when Keg Smash is on cooldown.

So long as you don't spam it without using blackout kick/guard/fire breath.

Never got me killed.

he's bitching about spinning crane kick. if there are 3+ targets, it's like a warrior's cleave and it procs a ridiculous amount of self healing in big aoe packs (10k hps in packs of 5)

if shuffle and shield are up, sck is what they should be mixing in about once every 6 seconds

you can still dodge/parry during SCK. but kegsmash > SCK in terms of damage or chi generation

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Umm actually there is nothing wrong with using spinning crane kick IF you make sure to keep shuffle up, watch your stagger level and purify at the appropriate time, use expel harm at the correct time, use power guard, and make sure to use your GotO orbs. I regularly aoe tank use keg smash and spinning crane kick and my healers tell me I'm so easy to heal, so, I believe your issue is not with people using spinning crane kick but actually with people who tank and ignore their active mitigation abilities. Just sayin....

10+ Year Old Account
    SCK replaces Jab in AoE situations, but only when it can generate Chi, which would be 3> targets. I think the OP is talking about when said monk just continually spams SCK without continuing his rotation, which you should be doing.
    Last edited by xQi; 2012-10-07 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by destia View Post
    Spinning Crane Kick, although I don't know what it does to make you die more quickly
    He's propably talking about brewmasters who do nothing but SCK while aoe tanking. No guard, no self heals, no blackout kicks, no elusive brew...

I dont get it..

SCK-GotO interaction is op atm, so if there are 5+ mobs, spinning is really nice.
    Obviously it all depends on mobs and your healer, but most hc-groups dont need Shuffle anymore already, at least not with a friend healing you.
    You should still use KS + BoF and Guard + PB obviously

Sounds like you've been running with a bad Brewmaster. It's not hard to keep up you're mitigation and use SCK on aoe packs. I haven't had a single issue at all doing it on mine, just bad healers who spam their biggest heals on me when it isn't at all needed.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you're basically asking bad Monks to stop being bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    He's propably talking about brewmasters who do nothing but SCK while aoe tanking. No guard, no self heals, no blackout kicks, no elusive brew...
    I'm thinking probably this.

As a MW Monk, I had a BrM tank on my last heroic. I could heal him in my sleep on single target encounters. AoE Packs however.... yea... on one occasion I couldn't keep him alive, and actually had an easier time healing the DPS Deathknight who came to rescue. I was literally having tho channel Soothing Mist to spam instant Surging mists and Enveloping every 3 Chi. Needless to say I was oom after every pull.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like he is just complaining that some monks don't understand how to play their class yet. I've seen tanks and dps alike constantly spam that ability, perhaps just because it does aoe damage or because it looks pretty idk. But just because some monks don't understand how the class works doesn't mean the ability doesn't have a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatela View Post
    As someone who has just come back to WoW and is planning to make their Panda Monk their main, could you give a bit more information? So far, I have mainly been concentrating on using the ale cleave with the fire breath to sustain AoE aggro.

More information about why SCK is bad for healers would be lovely and rather useful.
    To clear up confusion, an AoE rotation involving Spinning Crane Kick (SCK) is 3 or more targets.

The rotation is:
    Lead off with Keg Smash (+2 chi)
    (optional) Use Rushing Jade Wind (procs Shuffle)
    Jab (only jab first if you are using Power Strikes)
    Black Out Kick
    2xSCK while picking up gift of the ox healing
    Purify Brew

You can also choose to use guard if its a difficult trash pack or magic based.

Rinse and repeat when Keg Smash is off CD.

The INCORRECT rotation is doing anything while you do not have shuffle or guard up.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2012-10-07 at 05:37 PM. Reason: removed advert

I'm assuming you had one undergeared / bad tank and now you're blaming the class?

As stated by several posters, you continue to dodge & parry while using Spinning Crane Kick. It's also the way to get Chi when there is an AOE group. Obviously you have to keep Keg Toss up and activate Stagger, but otherwise there is nothing wrong with it.