Thread: Favorite quotes

Exclamation Favorite quotes

• If I have done the public any service, it is due to my patient thought. Sir Isaac Newton
    • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers. Sir Isaac Newton
    • If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton
    • No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess.Sir Isaac Newton
    • Sir Isaac Newton was asked how he discovered the law of gravity. He replied, "By thinking about it all the time.
    • A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. Albert Einstein
    • All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. Albert Einstein
    • We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. Albert Einstein
    • It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. Albert Einstein
    • Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either. Albert Einstein
    • Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein
    • Imagination is more important than knowledge.Albert Einstein
    • Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. Albert Einstein
    • Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. Albert Einstein
    • Congito ergo sum "I think therefore I am". Rene Descartes
    • The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
    • A man who won't die for something is not fit to live. Martin Luther King Jr
    • A nation or civilization that continues to produce soft-minded men purchases its own spiritual death on the installment plan. Martin Luther King Jr
    • All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence. Martin Luther King Jr
    • Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think. Martin Luther King Jr

Deleted
    Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    -Confucius

Deleted
    Well, since I can't remember any quotes from anyone now, I'll just "invent" some.

No gives a sh*t about you.

Trust no one.

Adapt to the changes that come.

Don't whine.

Don't depend on others, be independent.

Life is shorter than you think, enjoy every moment, specially the small, not so important moments, those are the ones that fill our every day life.

Try to do what you like.

Don't feel obliged to do something just because someone else is doing it.

Have a great life, look at things always in a positive way, all evil gives fruit to good things, but good might also give fruit to evil things too.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-10-07 at 08:31 PM.

Deleted
    It is good for an uneducated man to read books of quotations. - Winston Churchill

15+ Year Old Account
    "'Tis better to have loved and lost
    Than never to have loved at all."
    - In Memoriam A.H.H. by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

“We all need to look into the dark side of our nature - that's where the energy is, the passion. People are afraid of that because it holds pieces of us we're busy denying.” - Sue Grafton

“Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so wise, and so powerful, he could influence the midi-chlorians to create... life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about... from dying. He became so powerful, the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power. Which, eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself.” - Darth Sidious

"Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh, you touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding." - Nazara (Sovereign)

"You exist because we allow it. You will end because we demand it." - Nazara (Sovereign)

"The only true wisdom is in that you know nothing." - Socrates

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." - Gandhi

"When you're young, you go looking for every fight you can find. When you're older, you realize the best fights come to you." - Urdnot Wrex, Krogan Battlemaster (Mass Effect)

"Anyone who fights us is either stupid or on Saren's payroll. Killing the latter is business. Killing the former is a favor to the universe." - Urdnot Wrex

"Why don't you go back to the Normandy, kid. If you stay out here in the real world, you might have to learn something." - Urdnot Wrex

The Rest are from Darth Traya (or Kreia) from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords:

"Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you."

“We all wage war with the past. And it leaves its scars. I will not speak of yours, (Atton) but there is a price for such things.”

“...think less of you? I hardly think that's possible.”

"Learn from me, my mistakes, and use that knowledge to become greater than I. That is all I ask of you, and all I desire. In you my hopes rest, for the future, for the Force."

“There are those who wage war, and those who follow them. You are a crude thing, murderer, but you have your uses.”

“...know that if you disobey me, that my punishment will make you beg for the death that has so long hounded you.”

“Wipe the fear from your mind. You will not find blind obedience a difficult master...”

“No game of dejarik can be won without pawns...and this may prove to be a very long game.”

“I suspect the self-loathing that squirms within you gives you a curious strength.”

“Your spirit, as diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what you face...and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.”

Yea, I have too many. xD "This is only the beginning."

10+ Year Old Account
    You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it. -Sovereign, ME1

Fezzik! Stop rhyming and I mean it!
    Does anybody want a peanut? - Fezzik and Inago, Princess Bride

No gosh dal darnit, the sheriff is a N-dooooooooong - Frontiersman, Blazing Saddles

Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman - the GMan

Crime?
    Stampeding cattle.
    That's not much of a crime.
    Through the Vatican?
    Kinky . . . sign here please. -Hedley Lamarr and Sheriff Bart, Blazing Saddles

I believe that whatever doesn't kill you . . . simply makes you . . . stranger -the Joker, The Dark Knight

Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight. - Commissioner Gordan, The Dark Knight.

When Gotham is ashes, Mr. Wayne, then you have my permission to die - Bain, The Dark Knight Rises

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you. -Brian Mills, Taken

Maybe I'll post more later.

Oh and, see sig for one of my favorites from Mordin Solus.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2012-10-08 at 07:47 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrina View Post
    “Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so wise, and so powerful, he could influence the midi-chlorians to create... life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about... from dying. He became so powerful, the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power. Which, eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself.” - Darth Sidious

This is one of my favourite quotes, ever. It has some much knowledge in it. I don't know, it's just perfect.

Deleted
    "I probably won’t go down in history, but I will go down on your sister" - Hank Moody

"Key members of Parliament". Key. The minds behind every military, diplomatic and covert operation in the galaxy, and you put them in a room with a psychic. -The Operative

I've got a touch of hangover, bureaucrat. Don't push me. -McLintock

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. C.S. Lewis

Men naturally rebel against the injustice of which they are victims. Thus, when plunder is organized by law for the profit of those who make the law, all the plundered classes try somehow to enter — by peaceful or revolutionary means — into the making of laws. According to their degree of enlightenment, these plundered classes may propose one of two entirely different purposes when they attempt to attain political power: Either they may wish to stop lawful plunder, or they may wish to share in it.
    Woe to the nation when this latter purpose prevails among the mass victims of lawful plunder when they, in turn, seize the power to make laws! -Frederic Bastiat

I always liked this quote from Niccolo Machiavelli for some reason.

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.

Some good quotes in my thread I made a couple of months ago: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...eral%29-Quotes!

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    • "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph

• "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

• “The perfect being, was it? There is no such thing as perfect in this world. That may sound cliché, but it’s the truth. The average person admires perfection and seeks to obtain it. But, what’s the point of achieving perfection? There is none. Nothing. Not a single thing. I loathe perfection! If something is perfect, then there is nothing left. There is no room for imagination. No place left for a person to gain additional knowledge or abilities. Do you know what that means? For scientists such as ourselves, perfection only brings despair. It is our job to create things more wonderful than anything before them, but never to obtain perfection. A scientist must be a person who finds ecstasy while suffering from that antinomy. In short, the moment that foolishness left your mouth and reached my ears, you had already lost. Of course, that’s assuming you really are a scientist.” - Bleach. Lol.

• "There is no right, nor wrong; only conflicting ideologies." - Anonymous

• "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

10+ Year Old Account
    I want EVERYBODY to remember why they need us! -Adam Sutler, V for Vendetta

You have failed. Your species has the attention of those infinitely your greater. That which you know as Reapers are your salvation through destruction. We will find another way. Releasing control. - Harbinger, Mass Effect 2
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2012-10-09 at 02:38 AM.
    Putin khuliyo

Mothafuckaaaaa - Hank Moody

15+ Year Old Account
    "All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances;
    And one man in his time plays many parts,"
    Shakespeare

You also missed my favorite A. Einstein quote, "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

"This is my letter to the world,
    That never wrote to me,--
    The simple news that Nature told,
    With tender majesty.
    Her message is committed
    To hands I cannot see;
    For love of her, sweet countrymen,
    Judge tenderly of me!"
    Dickinson

"I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference. "
    "The best way out is always through."
    Robert Frost

You already picked my favorite Socrates quote so ill use this one. "The unexamined life is not worth living."

"Time line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" Caboose RvB

Tomorrow ill think of some more, ill even share a few of the ones I thought of if I can remember them...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    "Time line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" Caboose RvB
    CABOOSE!!! squeeeeeee! that dude is awesome! "I am allergic to things I don't want to do."

"Most people have no idea what they're doing, and a lot of them are really good at it." - George Carlin

"If you want to be a slave in life, then continue going around asking for others to do for you. They will oblige, but you will find the price is your choices, your freedom, your life itself. They will do for you, and as a result you will be in bondage to them forever, having given your identity away for a paltry price. Then, and only then, you will be a nobody, a slave, because you yourself and nobody else made it so." - Terry Goodkind (The Pillars of Creation)

"Artistically, we humans are capable of such great work as The Wizard of Oz, Songs in the Key of Life, and All in the Family. Yet we choose to drown ourselves in a sea of Paul Blart: Mall Cop, "Every Rose has its Thorn," and Cougartown." - Adam Carolla (In 50 Years We'll All be Chicks)
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Deleted
    Why do we fall sir? So you can learn how to get up again. - Alfred the butler and Thomas Wayne.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    -Benjamin Franklin