Glyph of Dark Soul

So I don't see this anywhere as a recommendation to use and yet, to me at least, it seems like a no-brainer. 3% haste all the time as opposed to 30% haste for 20s every two minutes seems like a good deal. Sure, you lose the benefit while on cooldown but it's a benefit you wouldn't be getting anyway without the glyph, so using DS: Misery every 2minutes for a 27% haste buff doesn't seem like a net loss to me.

Is there some reason that this is considered a bad glyph that I'm missing or is it just that people haven't updated guides yet to suggest this glyph?
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

The passive is removed while DS is on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    The passive is removed while DS is on cooldown.
    Have you ever considered first reading what it is you're replying to?
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Have you ever considered first reading what it is you're replying to?
    it is a dps loss if you use dark soul on cooldown because you will never get that 3%

so no, it's not a no-brainer.

Its a "no brainer" for those who don't use (or forget to use) DS. For everyone else there's mastercard (or not using the glyph).

I'm using it as long as I have Fashfrozen Resin Globule since it has a 2m30s cooldown. It lines up very well with Relic of Yu'lon so I most of the times get my 4th proc when it's ready to use again, which means there's two trinkets making me want to hold my Dark Soul and thus making the glyph for it good.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    If you were doing solo stuff or clinch tanking a lot...(yup so every other heroic you pug), it's golden if you DA demo. But hey, I speak things that make the 'in crowd' here shit pancakes...mostly b/c I don't care and continue to tank shit as a lock when time permits.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

If DS is off cooldown for longer than 20 seconds per use it can be a DPS increase over a 5 minute or longer fight.

Quote Originally Posted by jtth View Post
    If DS is off cooldown for longer than 20 seconds per use it can be a DPS increase over a 5 minute or longer fight.
    This, so you would have to work out based on your proc rates whether you would realistically need to delay DS every use by 20 secs or more. Between 6 and 7 minutes this can be risky as you may lose an entire DS by doing this.

Deleted
    Dark Soul: 30% haste, 20 second effect, 120 sec cooldown... Let's see

30% haste = 12750

12750* (20/120) = 2125 haste on average

3% haste = 1275 haste.

That is a 850 haste loss overall. There is your answer.

Edit: Not sure if the 10% reduction is of the 30% to 27% or by 10% to 20%... haven't used it, so wouldn't know.
    Last edited by mmoc91ede30817; 2012-10-08 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    I'm using it as long as I have Fashfrozen Resin Globule since it has a 2m30s cooldown. It lines up very well with Relic of Yu'lon so I most of the times get my 4th proc when it's ready to use again, which means there's two trinkets making me want to hold my Dark Soul and thus making the glyph for it good.
    It's still a DPS loss. The 3% you gain while your DS is on downtime for 30 seconds doesn't make up for the 3% loss while all your CD's (relic, flashfrozen) are up for 20 seconds.

Basically because of the way cooldowns work (you don't want to stagger them) there is pretty much no situation where glyph of dark soul is good, whatsoever. Any gain you would get from waiting on your DS cooldown is by far lost when you look at how much weaker your CD alignment is. Bosses with burst phases (especially Elegon) exacerbate how shitty this glyph is even more.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2012-10-08 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velidra View Post
    Its a "no brainer" for those who don't use (or forget to use) DS. For everyone else there's mastercard (or not using the glyph).
    THIS is true, but still not a great reason to take the glyph.

Basically, I've been looking at this glyph and Everlasting Affliction as glyphs for people who need a bit of help. Basically, people who, for whatever reason, have trouble managing DoTs and cooldowns. They make not executing things perfectly a little less punishing.
    You know nothing of the crunch!

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    It's still a DPS loss. The 3% you gain while your DS is on downtime for 30 seconds doesn't make up for the 3% loss while all your CD's (relic, flashfrozen) are up for 20 seconds.
    I remember checking in SimCraft way back and it wasn't any significant difference thus making the glyph pretty useful on mutlitarget fights where stuff needs to die fast (i.e. adds). However I compared in SimCraft again now and it seems to be a ~300 dps increase on a single target fight to not use it. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll probably keep considering using it on some fights, though.

Deleted
    Was the awfulness of this glyph not noticed before it was placed on live?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMGC View Post
    Was the awfulness of this glyph not noticed before it was placed on live?
    It's not aweful, it's situational.
    In every encounter that dictates to delay DS for more than 20s, it's a dps gain.
    It's also good while doing dailies/leveling or while tanking.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 02:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jtth View Post
    What has the fight length to do with it?
    IF you delay DS for more than 20 seconds, it's a gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmi View Post
    In every encounter that dictates to delay DS for more than 20s, it's a dps gain.
    I argued the opposite above. In fact, I would even say the more the encounter dictates you delay DS, the worse the DPS loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmi View Post
    It's also good while doing dailies/leveling or while tanking.
    I wouldn't agree with this either, but you can argue either way here. For certain it's bad for Klaxxi dailies, but of course the actual 3% loss for questing doesn't do much. Still is a loss though.

People reglyph for dailies? so THAT's where I'm going wrong .