Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by mag07 View Post
    I would not word it like that - if I BOUGHT a game, it means it's mine, and by any standard, it's something I can play, right? If a sub is server access, then since I own the game, off I go to play on a private server - I already paid for the game?

It doesn't exactly work like that, but generally, it's good to read what's on the box before making a purchase ;p
    That's the problem with digital goods. There's a difference in owning a video game and owning, say, a chair.

I would not word it like that - if I BOUGHT a game, it means it's mine, and by any standard, it's something I can play, right? If a sub is server access, then since I own the game, off I go to play on a private server - I already paid for the game?

It doesn't exactly work like that, but generally, it's good to read what's on the box before making a purchase ;p
    No, it doesn't. Not in this case.
    You own the disc (if you bought a physical copy), but nothing more. Not the game, nor your character, nor your account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Um GW2 cost double that, so.....with a 30 day sub and game cost your right in line.
    Yes, with the cost of the game and then another +/- us$360 for two years, yup... right in line. not.

That last sentence if rather important, of course. WoW, like most any form of "intellectual property" is sold by license and you're simply buying a sort of, well, license to use it. Like paying for a permit to enter a race track but still having to pay a fee every time you come back to drive on it.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    That last sentence if rather important, of course. WoW, like most any form of "intellectual property" is sold by license and you're simply buying a sort of, well, license to use it. Like paying for a permit to enter a race track but still having to pay a fee every time you come back to drive on it.
    This is what I wanted to say but wasn't really sure how to say it. Thanks. lol

Indeed, what you own is a license for World of Warcraft, not World of Warcraft itself. They even call it a "World of Warcraft license" in their support articles. As opposed to owning a chair, you own the chair itself, not a license to use it.

Deleted
    Blizzard know ppl expect game time with expansion purchase at realease they should state obviously that there is not.

Quote Originally Posted by north99 View Post
    Blizzard know ppl expect game time with expansion purchase at realease they should state obviously that there is not.
    The only ones who might expect game time with an expansion are those who've never bought a WoW expansion before. Or the ones who simply "forget" it each time.

WoW is a good game, even now, after so many years, it's highly playable. However, as someone on the official US forums accurately pointed out, you can't piss on your customers and continuously tell them that it's raining. There will come a time when majority of players will say STOP. Some have already voted with their wallets - here's me, hoping that will actually positively affect ActiBlizz's attitude.
    Blizz has always done this. It has nothing to do with Activision. They aren't hiding anything. Blizzard's explanation of shared lockouts and why they canceled the Abyssal Maw raid fits your metaphor, but no game time with expansions is a silly reason to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    The only ones who might expect game time with an expansion are those who've never bought a WoW expansion before. Or the ones who simply "forget" it each time.
    Other MMOs do come with game time. It's easy for people be confused.

Quote Originally Posted by adorich View Post
    Other MMOs do come with game time. It's easy for people be confused.
    Other MMO's that are new. The original WoW also comes with game time.

double post
    Last edited by exstarcraftfan; 2012-10-08 at 07:14 PM.