Page 1 of 2
LastLast

No game time with MoP?

So i just went to my game store and purchased a copy of MoP. I get home quite excited after hearing some good things about it. And after paying the 30 quid there's no friggin game time with it. WTF Blizz? Seriously? Is anyone else pissed about this? Or have they just bitten their tongue. When I pay 30 quid for a game I expect to be able to play it. I expect it to come with some damn game time because now, I have to trek back to the shop and pay a further 20 quid for some game time that SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCLUDED WITH THE DAMN GAME!!!!!

Ok rant over. But isn't anyone else slightly peeved about this? I mean I'm pretty sure when Cata came I bought the game came home and just started playing. im 99% sure it came with 30 days of play time. I'm certain of this because I wasn't subbed to WoW when I bought Cata.

Am I just missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
    So i just went to my game store and purchased a copy of MoP. I get home quite excited after hearing some good things about it. And after paying the 30 quid there's no friggin game time with it. WTF Blizz? Seriously? Is anyone else pissed about this? Or have they just bitten their tongue. When I pay 30 quid for a game I expect to be able to play it. I expect it to come with some damn game time because now, I have to trek back to the shop and pay a further 20 quid for some game time that SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCLUDED WITH THE DAMN GAME!!!!!

Ok rant over. But isn't anyone else slightly peeved about this? I mean I'm pretty sure when Cata came I bought the game came home and just started playing. im 99% sure it came with 30 days of play time. I'm certain of this because I wasn't subbed to WoW when I bought Cata.

Yes you are. Expansions never had game time with them.

only the original game come with a months free for me :P

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure there's never been free gametime when buying an expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaped View Post
    only the original game come with a months free for me :P
    Indeed, same here.

you paid for the expansion, not game time. the $15 a month is for server access nothing else.

also, this is how it's been since the beginning of WoW. you get a free month when you first buy the basic vanilla pack because that helps to "hook" people in. if you think about it the game itself is only $5 then you pay an extra $15 for the first month.

Thanks for clearing it up for me guys. Guess I'll just get the game time. I was so sure though that it came with an expansion. I still feel a little cheated though. Because I've had to pay £50 now in one go but I was only expecting to pay £30. Just a little surprised is all. And needed to vent it.

EDIT: Maybe just to turn this into a topic.

Do you think that when buying a new expansion that it should come with some game time. Don't Blizzard already get enough money. It makes me wonder sometimes if people didn't just give in and pay. And even say what they feel, that Blizz would just themselves give in. Because ultimately the ones with the power are the ones that choose to pay. Which is us.
    Last edited by Greendog; 2012-10-08 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks for clearing it up for me guys. Guess I'll just get the game time. I was so sure though that it came with an expansion. I still feel a little cheated though. Because I've had to pay £50 now in one go but I was only expecting to pay £30. Just a little surprised is all. And needed to vent it.

EDIT: Maybe just to turn this into a topic.

Do you think that when buying a new expansion that it should come with some game time. Don't Blizzard already get enough money. It makes me wonder sometimes if people didn't just give in and pay. And even say what they feel, that Blizz would just themselves give in. Because ultimately the ones with the power are the ones that choose to pay. Which is us.
    My wife and I were actually talking about this this morning. I think expansions should come with some game time, even if its not a full month. But in all reality it doesn't matter, I'll buy it regardless.

The problem is that a lot of people are already committed via something like the annual pass, or paid up because they don't pay month by month. If the new xpac were going to come with a month extra, it would raise in cost to reflect that, and doubtless many people who were already subbed and paid or at least accounted for would feel they were being cheated there.

Deleted

Because you say so, right?

Also, chinese gametime sellers. /thread

Quote Originally Posted by r0cki View Post
    Because you say so, right?
    Nah, but don't you think that it should? You'd think that with all the money that Blizz make that there would just be a little game time with a new expansion. Think of all the players that haven't played WoW for a while, but like the look of MoP. So they buy it but need to buy the game time as well. It may seem trivial to you but to me i just payed £30 for a game. Got home, found out. And now I'm obligated to go and spend another £20 because i can't play the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Um GW2 cost double that, so.....with a 30 day sub and game cost your right in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeam View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's never been free gametime when buying an expansion.
    This is true, but I do agree that it's a bit strange that the expansions don't come with at least a couple of weeks gametime. *shrug* Use a creditcard next time instead of buying prepaid in a store.

No expansion had game time.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    My wife and I were actually talking about this this morning. I think expansions should come with some game time, even if its not a full month. But in all reality it doesn't matter, I'll buy it regardless.
    They give you 7 free days with each new patch...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    They give you 7 free days with each new patch...
    No they don't.

My friend emailed Blizzard and asked if he could get a free week when MoP came out, they gave it to him, and he's done that in the past. As I understand it, they're usually not shy about giving out 7 days free.

But the game time and the game itself are separate entities. You bought the game, not access to the servers. Personally, I think the idea of monthly subscription fees is antiquated and needs to be done away with. But at the same time, they aren't obligated to give you free time when you buy the game. I mean, on the box, it says, "additional online fees apply."

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

No you're not. While there was never free game time with any of the expansions, at least not to my knowledge, I couldn't agree more. The price of every xpac was X+15$, in case of MoP it's x+15$ x 2, cos the content is gated so you have to pay for at least two months to be able to experience what you have actually paid for already - if there was a Nobel prize for cheeky marketing strategies, they would surely deserve one.

On the bright side, judging by steadily but surely decreasing audience, more and more people are fed up with the company's attitude: milk the West for as much as you can, while supporting your share value by bloated numbers from the East, that barely pays for anything at all. All that = happy investors.

WoW is a good game, even now, after so many years, it's highly playable. However, as someone on the official US forums accurately pointed out, you can't piss on your customers and continuously tell them that it's raining. There will come a time when majority of players will say STOP. Some have already voted with their wallets - here's me, hoping that will actually positively affect ActiBlizz's attitude.
    Last edited by mag07; 2012-10-08 at 12:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mag07 View Post
    No you're not. While there was never free game time with any of the expansions, at least not to my knowledge, I couldn't agree more. The price of every xpac was X+15$, in case of MoP it's x+15$ x 2, cos the content is gated so you have to pay for at least two months to be able to experience what you have actually paid for already - if there was a Nobel prize for cheeky marketing strategies, they would surely deserve one.

On the bright side, judging by steadily but surely decreasing audience, more and more people are fed up with the company's attitude: milk the West for as much as you can, while supporting your share value by bloated numbers from the East, that barely pays for anything at all. All that = happy investors.

WoW is a good game, even now, after so many years, it's highly playable. However, as someone on the official US forums accurately pointed out, you can't piss on your customers and continuously tell them that it's raining. There will come a time when majority of players will say STOP. Some have already voted with their wallets - here's me, hoping that will actually positively affect ActiBlizz's attitude.
    Gotta love this attitude..

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You bought the game, not access to the servers.
    I would not word it like that - if I BOUGHT a game, it means it's mine, and by any standard, it's something I can play, right? If a sub is server access, then since I own the game, off I go to play on a private server - I already paid for the game?

It doesn't exactly work like that, but generally, it's good to read what's on the box before making a purchase ;p