Deleted

Showing Incorrect CPU Temperature

I have Core Temp installed and it shows my processor (athlon 7750) running between 26-37 degrees C. I have always assumed that these numbers were correct, but now when I checked the H/W Monitor section in the BIOS it says that it's running at 52-57 degrees.

Which one of these is correct and why is one of them displaying incorrect values?

My bet is on the BIOS showing the correct numbers, but I'm not sure.

Deleted
    I would recommend that you download a few other temp measuring programs and check their read-outs as well.

BIOS can show wrong numbers, or simply numbers under load. My old C2D would report almost 60C in BIOS but around 38-42C while in Windows, idle.

Does your CPU throttle during load? Does it seem to be running hot? Have you experienced any random restarts while running heavy applications?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I would recommend that you download a few other temp measuring programs and check their read-outs as well.

BIOS can show wrong numbers, or simply numbers under load. My old C2D would report almost 60C in BIOS but around 38-42C while in Windows, idle.

Does your CPU throttle during load? Does it seem to be running hot? Have you experienced any random restarts while running heavy applications?
    I downloaded HW Monitor and it displays the same temps as Core Temp, so I guess that the BIOS is wrong somehow.

If anyone has any idea of why that may be, please do tell me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speedfan, Everest and CoreTemp are one of the few other software you could check to see your CPU/GPU temps. Everest is the best imho since its more accurate and has plenty of other features too, but its also not free.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by sendetto View Post
    I downloaded HW Monitor and it displays the same temps as Core Temp, so I guess that the BIOS is wrong somehow.

If anyone has any idea of why that may be, please do tell me.
    The bios could be showing you the recorded temperature @ max load. If it is static not moving even a little bit Id assume so. I do remember my C2D showing 47c on load and 30~ in any monitoring program.

The Bios is not reading the same sensor that CoreTemp/HWMonitor etc are reading. The Bios reads the socket sensor while cpu temperature utility are reading the on-die sensor.