Just built PC but getting no signal from the graphics card.

All the major components are new

Core i3 2120
    gigabyte h61ma-d2v motherboard
    8 gb ram
    2gb 660 msi twin frozr
    500gb seagate
    550w bequiet

I noticed the 660 has 2 blue dvi ports which ive never seen before and don't have a matching cable. we tried a normal dvi cable and we didn't get a signal, we also tried it in the mobo's white dvi port and it still didn't work. we do get a signal though if we remove the graphics card and use the mobo's vga port.

Also it works fine if we use his old graphics card and the dvi cable.

So I suspect its a problem with the graphics card. Any other ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Don't think the color of the dvi port matters (could be wrong though).. did you get the latest version of the drivers for the card?

10+ Year Old Account
    • Did you install the drivers which came with the GPU? (usually on the disc).
    • Make sure power cable is properly attached to the GPU and the GPU is seated correctly.
    • Your PSU should be just fine for the 660.
    • Also the multiple DVI sockets are for multiple monitor setup. Simply plug the cable to the DVI socket on the GPU (unless you need an adapter, I did for 460) and then plug the other end of the cable to the monitor. Restart.
    • Sometimes the GPU may not be used and you may need to disable onboard GPU with either going through BIOS or a jumper, but lets not get ahead of our selfs.
    -K

I doubt the driver matters when it doesn't boot. Anyway if the video card is connected properly (both in the PCI-E slot and the power cable) then it may just be DOA.

isn't blue the old VGA port? DVI should be white.... you could check if there was a DVI/VGA adapter in the box....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    isn't blue the old VGA port? DVI should be white.... you could check if there was a DVI/VGA adapter in the box....
    Does the 660 even have a VGA port? My 460 has 2 DVI ports and 1 HDMi.
    -K

What does the 660 require for power? Seems to me that a 550w PSU is a bit low for that system or just at min. req. Are both 6 pins plugged into the GPU? If your PSU is what the GPU calls for and has power to it then I would say it is your card.

Quote Originally Posted by H3llion View Post
    Does the 660 even have a VGA port? My 460 has 2 DVI ports and 1 HDMi.
    No it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    What does the 660 require for power? Seems to me that a 550w PSU is a bit low for that system or just at min. req. Are both 6 pins plugged into the GPU? If your PSU is what the GPU calls for and has power to it then I would say it is your card.
    it requires 450w and only 1 6pin connector. Didn't think about the drivers as I couldn't see anything on screen :P will give it a try now.

---------- Post added 2012-10-08 at 04:35 PM ----------

New problem. I cannot install the drivers without the card installed and but I can't see what I'm doing when the card is installed

---------- Post added 2012-10-08 at 05:30 PM ----------

Also noticed that when the graphics card is in the pc doesn't seem to load windows as pressing the power button results in an immediate shut down. Should I send it back as faulty?
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

I'm not the most experienced with PC building but it sounds to me like putting the card in is overloading the PS. Remember just because the card requires 450 doesn't mean that's all you need... the rest of the system needs power too. 450/550 for just the card is probably too much... only 100 remaining. Could be wrong though I have no idea what the typical remainder of the computer requires.