Ok, I have read tons of posts on this site after being referred by a friend and learned a lot. I pretty much have decided on everything I want to put in. I will be using it for gaming primarily but also for sound recording. I want it to be good enough that I can game with reasonably good settings for a while into the future. Sorry for the bad linking but it won't let me put up real links yet
Mobo: Asus p8z77-V LK LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel mobo: $74.99 AR
CPU: Intel Core I5 3570K 3.4GHZ LGA 1155 Processor: $189.99
GPU: ASUS GTX 670-DC2T w/borderlands bundle: $439.99 AR
Heatsink : Noctua NH-D14 Cooler: $84.99
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB: $53.99
Optical Drive: Samsung 22x Internal DVDRW: $19.99
HD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA 7200RPM: $119
PSU: Corsair TX650M: $126
Case: Corsair Storm Trooper: $139.99
The only restrictions I have is I don't want to spend much more money, and I have to buy most of this stuff from TigerDirect.. to take advantage of their financing. I also don't care so much about looks as functionality.
Here are my questions:
1) For the GPU I am paying the extra for the 4gb gpu with the idea that in the future it will still hold up. Is this logical or by time I need 4GB Vram for gaming will this card be obsolete?
2) For the case I am open to any suggestions. I would like to keep it around this price range. My main concern is I want enough room to in the future house: An SSD, A BlueRay Drive, and a top line sound card for recording. The thing I can't figure out is do I need a full ATX tower or can I get by with a Mid ATX Tower. I want to house everything with plenty of ventilation so I don't have to worry at all about overheating. Either way is there better cases out there than this in the price range?
3) For the MOBO.. would it be worth it to shell out another 90 bucks for a ASUS Sabertooth Z77. What would be the main benefits.
4) For the Ram.. is there a better brand out there around this price?? I just ended up with the vengeance based on prior recommendations but would have to get the lp to fit the noctua, and will have to pay about 9 bucks more on Tiger for the LP.
5) I would appreciate any opinions on the build in general, but am really stuck on the prior listed questions.
Thanks for your input, I couldn't have attempted a build without this site and its members