Dreamweaver cs4 - Website from Dependent to Independent.

I am having a problem where I try to put my website on its host and none of the CSS rules seem to be getting there. I get a working menu bar, all the jpgs for my graphic design portfolio but none of the design aspects like borders, banners, backhground images ect. It only appears on my computers explorer browser properly but not on any other computers explorer browser. It does not work in chrome or firefox.

Does anyone know what I have to do to fix this?

Deleted
    You did upload your css along with the website I hope? Also make sure each page has a link to the css page in the head section

Deleted
    If you pm me a link, I can check it out. - Full time web application developer.

Yes I did, and the menu bar works perfectly but nothing else seems to want to.

Deleted
    Did you receive my pm, didn't seem it would send. Your CSS href was wrong.

On line 8 in index.html change:

Code:
    <link href="file:///****/main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    to
    Code:
    <link href="main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    Then it works :-)

Edit:
    While it will fix the CSS file issue, I can see the 2 images linked in the CSS file gives a 404 - so make sure you upload those images as well for it to work 100%
    Last edited by mmoc4d24f4263b; 2012-10-08 at 08:22 PM. Reason: More info

Quote Originally Posted by Enale View Post
    Did you receive my pm, didn't seem it would send. Your CSS href was wrong.

On line 8 in index.html change:

Code:
    <link href="file:///****/main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    to
    Code:
    <link href="main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    Then it works :-)

Edit:
    While it will fix the CSS file issue, I can see the 2 images linked in the CSS file gives a 404 - so make sure you upload those images as well for it to work 100%
    I copy pasted the code on line 8 but I lost everything but the menu bar. I do appreciate the help.

Deleted
    That sounds weird, I tried editing the link inline in the "source code", and all the styles popped up. Gray background, with the content centered in a black box right?

Make sure you edit the right place, the <link> tag that points to main.css should only have "main.css" in it's href attribute. Let it stay that way (without changing it back), and I will see if you changed it correctly.

Deleted
    Are you changing the local file on your computer? There is no change on the link you gave me. It still says href="file:///****/main.css".

15+ Year Old Account
    upload the site and link us to it. chances are there's a folder or a pathing issue that can't be seen unless we're actually looking at it
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

mlwdesign.net

I updated it.

Deleted
    If you click ctrl+u (in chrome/firefox) you will see that it still links to href="file:///****/main.css"

Make sure you edit the file through your ftp client, or edit your local file and upload + overwrite the file in your ftp client

I'm in local view, I edited the template and put to ipage, still doesn't show change with cntl-u. :/

Deleted
    I see, unfortunately I don't have any experience with iPage, I only use FTP and SSH to access my web files. But I am sure there is someone that can help you with the iPage part :-)

As soon as you get that change live, it should work perfectly, but as I said, you also need those two images linked in the css file uploaded (mlwdesignbanner.jpg and marbleleftcol.jpg).

If by any chance you have gotten access through FTP, it might be easier for you to publish your changes that way - but again, I am not familiar with iPage so I wouldn't know.

Okay I looked at another site I did 9 months ago and what you have changed I have correct on that site. For some reason I ended up making 3 templates out of 1 every time I saved the file (layout_start.php, layout_start.dwt, layout_start.dwt.php) and It has gotten messy because I cant figure out which is the source.

I can't stand messy files because I can't keep it straight in my head. Unless I can figure this out tonight I will rebuild the site from scratch and fix the href so it does not happen again. Thanks for your patience, I know its quite frustrating.

Deleted
    If you are going to create several websites, I would suggest creating a small basic framework as your base that you can start from every time.

It could include stuff like, a basic header php file (it sounds like your are using php), with a link to a stylesheet which could be empty or include a simple CSS reset and a footer - often just ending the body and html tag.

That way you can just use that file structure when creating a new site - and you have all the basic references set up, and you can start writing the HTML and CSS (and PHP) instantly. Without it being specific to a certain design or functionality.

Also if you want to become proficient at it, I would probably suggest moving over to a plain text editor - that way, for me at least, you will learn more as you get your hands more "dirty". But it's all personal preference of course :-)

Suggested editors:
    Sublime Text Try for free as long as you want (really good editor with lots of functionality)
    Notepad++ Free!