Affliction Dot Questions

Didnt find the answers to my questions in the guide...

Is it a dps gain to refresh dots on procs (int/sp/...) or does the dmg of the dots snapshot my stats on every tick?

and another thing...is it rly a dps loss if u clip MG with a new MG?

and the last question...when is it the best time to refresh BoA and UA (for Corruption it is about 9 sec and below)

thx in advance!

-Yes refresh if you have better stats (haste, sp)
    -Not sure for MG
    -Anywhere between 0s and half time because of pandemic, unless you will refresh with a weaker dot in which case you want to reapply just as it dies (not for agony though). Never let agony die !

Deleted
    1: Yes, dots check for new debuffs, but not new buffs iirc - so refresh them when you have large buffs, then avoid refreshing them as long as possible to get the most out of it.

2: I'm not certain, but I believe clipping an MG with another MG shouldn't lower the dps due to the dot/channel clipping things added back in Cata - if you clipped a MG with a different type of spell (ie; casting a dot or switching to drain soul) it would waste dps unless you clipped it right after a tick. I could be wrong on this though.

3: Depends on the situation, if you've previously cast it with a heap of buffs, refresh it late. If you're wanting to cast haunt soon and it has less than haunts duration + travel time, refresh it. If you're on the move and don't need to life tap, doesn't hurt to refresh it early etc. Most of it comes down to adapting to the specifics.

Otherwise, pandemic means anywhere below half of it's usual duration is fine. But the vast majority of the time you've either got buffs procced that might be stronger than the prior application, or the prior application had buffs that you don't want to replace with a weaker version.
    Last edited by mmoc1571eb5575; 2012-10-08 at 11:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    MG and DS work like DoTs (without Pandemic) if clipped. No DPS loss there besides the negligible 4.5k initial manacost of DS.
    Example:
    DS has 4 ticks left with 0.9s to the next tick when you cast a new DS.
    What happens is: The next tick hits in 0.9s and you get the full 6 ticks of the new DS after that. Because everything is easier to understand in an image:

Quote Originally Posted by Xenchi View Post
    Didnt find the answers to my questions in the guide...

Is it a dps gain to refresh dots on procs (int/sp/...) or does the dmg of the dots snapshot my stats on every tick?

and another thing...is it rly a dps loss if u clip MG with a new MG?

and the last question...when is it the best time to refresh BoA and UA (for Corruption it is about 9 sec and below)

thx in advance!
    1) Depends on a lot of things. The damage of a DoT is calculated with the buffs when it was cast and will maintain that damage for the rest of it's duration.

2) No it is not. It's impossible to clip a MG with another MG. Casting MG early will simply refresh the existing one just like a dot.

3) You can refresh anywhere in the last half of the DoT's base duration. That means if you apply a brand new dot (not refreshing an old one) then you can refresh halfway through it's duration. If you refresh an existing DoT then it's half of the duration of the DoT you just applied as if it had NOT refreshed it.

IE, if BoA has a 20 second base duration, then you can refresh within the last 10 seconds of BoA. Temp haste procs complicates this some, but not much.

Was wondering if there was a way to configure fortex to give me a warning timer for when a dot has reached 50% of it's base duration so that I can know when to refresh dots on procs without wasting time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Was wondering if there was a way to configure fortex to give me a warning timer for when a dot has reached 50% of it's base duration so that I can know when to refresh dots on procs without wasting time.
    Not as far as I know. I use a combination of Tell me when and Weakauras. Green dot ontop of UA = <50%

Quote Originally Posted by Elmi View Post
    Not as far as I know. I use a combination of Tell me when and Weakauras. Green dot ontop of UA = <50%
    It's a good solution, but i'd just like my eyes not to be in too many places at once. I suppose I could use buttontimers which if I remember lets you set warning cast time.. i've just grown to forte because it's superior for multidoting.

I can't believe a dottimer that was custom for warlocks excludes this kind of option, it'd also be really great if there was an option that let you track the value of your current dot... lets say if you have a dot with pot/trinket/lightweave on corrupt it would indicate the value beside the timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    It's a good solution, but i'd just like my eyes not to be in too many places at once. I suppose I could use buttontimers which if I remember lets you set warning cast time.. i've just grown to forte because it's superior for multidoting.

I can't believe a dottimer that was custom for warlocks excludes this kind of option, it'd also be really great if there was an option that let you track the value of your current dot... lets say if you have a dot with pot/trinket/lightweave on corrupt it would indicate the value beside the timer.
    I was wondering this as well. I used to use a great addon for dots called 'NeedtoKnow' which allowed you put down visual overlays at whatever point you wanted. The only problem is it doesn't show dot ticks or has options for multidotting. At the moment I'm coping for now but really I'm always looking at my dot timers anyway so I can manage without it. Let's just hope they add something soon.

With the dots, try to have a good idea of when your trinkets will proc (NTK is good for ICDs) so you can make those snap decisions as to when to refresh. If for example my DMC trinket is going to proc in a couple of seconds, I'll wait and refresh all dots once it's procced.

So... when I have a strong dot going, due to several progs and cooldowns, and I am refreshing it at 40% due to pandemic, will it retain the stronger attributes, or will it be a new dot with my weaker current stats in memory? And vice versa, when I have weak dots going and get to several progs and cooldowns, applying them via pandemic, will it upgrade the dot or will it stay the original weak dot?

And if dots refresh with new information via pandemic, is it sometimes a viable option to extend powerfull incarnations of UA and corruption via fel flame?

Quote Originally Posted by SteakAndAlePie View Post
    So... when I have a strong dot going, due to several progs and cooldowns, and I am refreshing it at 40% due to pandemic, will it retain the stronger attributes, or will it be a new dot with my weaker current stats in memory? And vice versa, when I have weak dots going and get to several progs and cooldowns, applying them via pandemic, will it upgrade the dot or will it stay the original weak dot?

And if dots refresh with new information via pandemic, is it sometimes a viable option to extend powerfull incarnations of UA and corruption via fel flame?
    As far as I know dots don't carry the buffs through refreshes, so no it won't retain stronger attributes. If that was the case, you could just supercharge all your dots in the beginning and have supercharged dots through the whole fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenerena View Post
    As far as I know dots don't carry the buffs through refreshes, so no it won't retain stronger attributes. If that was the case, you could just supercharge all your dots in the beginning and have supercharged dots through the whole fight.
    Wasn't that the case in Ulduar?

B2t: Just as a rule of thumb: Refresh weak dots asap when they reach the 50% mark and you have procs but let the strong dots tick till the last one in order to preserve the short time buffs.

Anyways, does anyone know the exact ICD of the Darkmoon Trinket?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenerena View Post
    Which is what did happen at one point and was then fixed to not be the case anymore.

Everything hangs on the moment you refresh, be it through manual casting, Soulswap, or Felflame. If you have buffs up at that moment it will use those buffs, if you don't it won't. Simples.

There is no extending powerful dots if there are no buffs present, but you CAN refresh at the last second of a powerful buff and extend that buff's presence for the duration of your dots life.....till you refresh it with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Killem View Post
    Anyways, does anyone know the exact ICD of the Darkmoon Trinket?
    50s. 20% chance to proc.

Can you Fel Flame after casting Dark Soul to update your corr and UA with the increased haste?

Quote Originally Posted by Stridulent View Post
    Can you Fel Flame after casting Dark Soul to update your corr and UA with the increased haste?
    I'd assume so.