Deleted

Spirit as Holy Priest

Hey guys,
    First of all, this is my character:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...t/Senzo/simple

I was in a PuG the day MV came out. Best try on 1st boss was 46%. Not great. DPS failed, tanks failed sometimes but I also failed. More specifically, my mana failed. I was OOM'ing at around 60% boss-hp. So I geared up a lot since then obviously, and my guild is starting MV on wednesday.

I have been stacking spirit like a maniac since the PuG-raid, but now I'm getting to a point where I think I should stop with the spirit.

What do you think? Any obvious mistakes on my gear? Am I ready for MV?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't see why you consider 7k Spirit to be "enough". Sure it will probably be fine to heal MV, but don't expect it to solve your mana issues just like that. I'm close to 10k unbuffed and still go oom quite a bit if I'm not careful and watch my blue bar. I still use Inner Will, still keep my Haste low and I'm nowhere close to feel "comfortable" with my mana to afford spamming of more expensive abilities.

In other words, this is barely first tier of raiding and your gear is still from 5 mans. It's far too early to lay off Spirit. Sure, if your other healers are good, they can make up for your inferior regen, but I don't think that's the way you want it to be?

10+ Year Old Account
    You stack spirit till you are comfortable with the amount you have.

On my priest while in raid, I get up to 12.5k spirit and I still want more. I gem every socket straight spirit as well as every chant I can. Besides the weapon chant, Windsong is better then Heartsong. Every item needs spirit (Mandatory), and in terms for other stats. Haste to that 12.51% 5th renew tick (Without glyph), stack Mastery after soft cap, and then don't worry about Crit at all.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...C3%A0ms/simple

I raid in a 25 raiding environment and so I'm always healing my ass off.

I ran with 10400 spirit buffed this week and it was fine.

I'm gonna drop about 1000 for some more haste since i know the fights now.

Ditch the pickled egg trinket, run stormstout for Empty Fruit Barrel, get Price of Progress from Scholo, that'll solve most of your mana issues.
    Last edited by DeiVias; 2012-10-09 at 05:30 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot guys!

I was thinking. Should I quit reforging to haste until I know I can hit 12.51% by doing it? Because it's kind of contradicting right now to be stacking spirit like a madman, but also reforging to haste and spending mana quicker without getting the 5th renew tick.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just get enough haste for another tick of unglyphed Renew - it's just a bit over 3000 I think? Sure having more raises your hps, but also makes it harder for your mana pool. It's too early into expansion to be going for haste heavy setup. Once base item Spirit, without gems/trinkets will be enough to think about it, sure. Right now, it's far too easy to run yourself dry with a bit more intense healing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Sure having more raises your hps, but also makes it harder for your mana pool.
    Haste is mana-neutral with respect to Power Word: Solace. That is to say, it increases Solace casts in the same space of time, allowing them to "fund" proportionally many more healing casts. Something to consider if you're casting it anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by espoire View Post
    Haste is mana-neutral with respect to Power Word: Solace. That is to say, it increases Solace casts in the same space of time, allowing them to "fund" proportionally many more healing casts. Something to consider if you're casting it anyway.
    As a holy priest, however, I'm not speccing Solace. At least not for Stone Guardians. I don't have time to cast it. Going Mindbender instead, should provide me with it's maximum potential I think.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by espoire View Post
    I suppose Solace could work on some bosses, but in general, I prefer fire and forget regen, instead of spending significant part of encounter casting otherwise useless spell. Hell, if there are some breaks, you might as well channel HoH and help out other healers, instead of just you.

Plus, this assumes you will be able to squeeze an entire new cast in those 'regen breaks'. Unless there is a lot of time spent on that, it would take a lot of haste rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamidiaa View Post
    Haste to that 12.51% 5th renew tick (Without glyph), stack Mastery after soft cap, and then don't worry about Crit at all.
    Interesting. I would say don't bother with the 5th tick of unglyphed Renew until iLVL 470+. I was running with iLVL 463 in 25man this week, 8.2k Spirit and I reforged all Haste/Crit to Mastery, I just didn't bother with the extra tick.

For me, this seemed to work. This is the log of our Elegon 25N kill:

worldoflogs.com/reports/mnbxrbgup9vxf5v2/sum/healingDone/?s=8302&e=8853#Holygra%C3%ADl

Renew did do a fair bit of my healing but I fail to see why I'd go for Haste to 12.51% > Mastery at this stage. The vast majority of my healing was done by instant cast direct healing spells as I (for the majority of the fight) used Inner Will to maximise HPM - at the end switching to Inner Fire for PoH spam. For this reason, getting that 5th tick and losing all the Mastery probably wouldn't do that much in terms of overall healing throughput, so until I hit 10k+ Spirit and gear to support the 5th tick, I'd advise Mastery > 12.51% Haste.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holygrail View Post
    Interesting. I would say don't bother with the 5th tick of unglyphed Renew until iLVL 470+. I was running with iLVL 463 in 25man this week, 8.2k Spirit and I reforged all Haste/Crit to Mastery, I just didn't bother with the extra tick.

For me, this seemed to work. This is the log of our Elegon 25N kill:

worldoflogs.com/reports/mnbxrbgup9vxf5v2/sum/healingDone/?s=8302&e=8853#Holygra%C3%ADl

Renew did do a fair bit of my healing but I fail to see why I'd go for Haste to 12.51% > Mastery at this stage. The vast majority of my healing was done by instant cast direct healing spells as I (for the majority of the fight) used Inner Will to maximise HPM - at the end switching to Inner Fire for PoH spam. For this reason, getting that 5th tick and losing all the Mastery probably wouldn't do that much in terms of overall healing throughput, so until I hit 10k+ Spirit and gear to support the 5th tick, I'd advise Mastery > 12.51% Haste.
    8.2k spirit with iLevel 463? How's that possible? Is that raidbuffed?

Also, your log looks pretty good, but isn't echo of light ALOT more beneficial in 25-man? I mean, I don't thin it would be good for me to worship mastery in a 10-man raid as much as you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketfan99 View Post
    8.2k spirit with iLevel 463? How's that possible? Is that raidbuffed?
    Unbuffed, eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/zenedar/Holygra%C3%ADl/

Mainly down to gems (especially the Meta) and enchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketfan99 View Post
    Also, your log looks pretty good, but isn't echo of light ALOT more beneficial in 25-man? I mean, I don't thin it would be good for me to worship mastery in a 10-man raid as much as you did.
    Never really tested that out, almost always went Disc for 10 mans, I guess EoL might be better in 25, don't know really.

Holygraíl, how would you recommend a holy priests plays in a 10man guild, holy priest resto druid, maybe disc priest set up.
    Plays, I mean gemming and forging?

Quote Originally Posted by Stringerbell View Post
    Holygraíl, how would you recommend a holy priests plays in a 10man guild, holy priest resto druid, maybe disc priest set up.
    Plays, I mean gemming and forging?
    I feel it depends on your play-style somewhat though I'd recommend one of two options:

1) Stacking Mastery.
    You should have spirit on every piece of gear to begin with, get PvP gear if needed as it can be an upgrade (I have a PvP chest).
    All Haste and Crit should be reforged into Mastery.
    All gems ideally should have Spirit on, for instance you'd want a Purified (Intel+Spirit) for Red sockets, Zen (Spirit+Mastery) for Orange sockets & Sparking (Spirit) for Blue.
    However, it is not always optimal to match the socket. I'd only match it if the socket bonus is Spirit (and sometimes Intellect if there is a justifiable amount of it). Just use your common sense really to decide.

2) Going for the first Haste Breakthrough Point.
    First off, gear and gemming will be identical with the exclusion of the Orange sockets; you'd want Spirit+Haste gems (don't know what they're called) if you are struggling to reach the Haste requirement.
    Personally I'd only recommend going for the 5th tick on Renew if you have the gear to support it, this is generally 10k Spirit or more and enough secondary stats to be able to make the requirement without too much of a stretch.
    I don't think 10 is that much different from 25 at this stage, Haste stacking in my opinion is not really *that* viable without some serious Heroic Raiding gear.

I have 11.75% haste atm, which is 4991 haste. I do have renew glpyh too.
    I also only have 6641 spirit.
    Do I stick with that, or go full mastery?

I did look at your logs, and was impressed of the amount of healing you did, using really only instants.
    I will try your style next week during my raid.

Do I stick with that, or go full mastery?
    I'd recommend going full Mastery with that amount of Spirit. Mastery gives better efficiency than Haste and also if you have Glyph of Renew, the Haste point required for the extra tick is more-or-less not possible to reach without some pretty good gear and being a craft Goblin.

Thanks for your advice, I will go mastery for a raid to see how it goes.
    I look forward to spamming those instants rofl.
    Also, last question I think, do you use a website to help you with your reforging, something like askmrrobot?

Also, any chance of a picture of your ui?

I look forward to spamming those instants rofl.
    Just a tip that I forgot to mention, Inner Will will increase efficiency considerably. I tend to use Inner Will for the lower healing requirement parts of a fight, which saves a lot of mana whilst not gimping healing too much. When healing gets intensive and you need to start using PoH etc, I'd swap back to Inner Fire.

Also, last question I think, do you use a website to help you with your reforging, something like askmrrobot?
    I tend to use ReforgeLite (addon) to help with reforging.
    However - I only use it if I need to reach a specific Haste breakpoint as it will optimise the reforges in that scenario. If I'm just stacking Mastery for example, I just do it manually. You could adjust the stat weights on AskMrRobot for what you want but I find the addon easier, though you might want to read up on it a bit, it's a little daunting to begin with.

Also, any chance of a picture of your ui?
    I'll upload a screenshot later (not at my desk at the moment) - but here's my YouTube channel with kill video's from my P.o.V:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dakillercow

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 08:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Holygrail View Post
    I'll upload a screenshot later

Huzzah.