Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    I know, that's why I said it was just speculation, he never actually took the test. I don't remember who the guy with 200+ IQ is, but it was some Asian physicist who rejects the idea that IQ is a valid interpretation of intelligence.
    I suppose 200+ IQ is possible theoretically, but on a probabilistic level it's about 1 in a billion chance.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Your friend and uncle aren't anywhere close to those numbers. An IQ of 160 is simply way, way, waaaaaaay up there well beyond 99.9999999% of people. People like that don't really live just normal lives. Even if one them were that high, the odds of you knowing -another- person that high would be astronomical, virtually impossible due to simple odds.
    This is not true at all, I know several people including my dad who scored in the 160 range multiple times. You would be quite surprised at who all has high IQs...

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    How about Christopher Langan? He should be around those numbers
    I think his is about 195 or so. Which is certainly extraordinarily extremely mindblowingly high.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Wow, everyone who has said their IQ so far is in the 97th percentile or better. That seems likely.
    You realize what this means, right?

    The General Off-Topic section of MMO-Champion is evidently the intellectual elite of the world. Think of what we could accomplish, Beavis! Unlimited potential!


    Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.



  5. #45
    Bloodsail Admiral Decagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Unfortunately, Central Utah
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    They tested us at school but didn't release the results to the students because of the obvious bullying that would cause :P

    So I have no idea.

    IQ tests are not a reliable indicator of intelligence by the way. For a start it's almost impossible to get people to actually agree on a definition of "intelligence", it's an almost entirely subjective quality.



    Er... 100% on an IQ test is population average, if your score is "VERY low" then you are very seriously mentally handicapped. In fact mental retardation is generally defined as an IQ score below 70.
    By very low, I mean very low in comparison of average. I assume that I'm borderline retarded (80-85) but I'll probably never know, I don't think I could handle the stress of attempting to take an IQ test.

  6. #46
    Scarab Lord Garnier Fructis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location:
    Posts
    4,712
    I haven't taken a real IQ test, so I wouldn't know. I do have enough intelligence not to pay for a test that really has no bearing on how I conduct my life though.

    Now if you're talking internet "IQ tests," then I range from being an idiot to being a genius depending on which site is giving the "test."
    Wir müssen wissen. Wir werden wissen.
    Quote Originally Posted by auBerg View Post
    You are a certified crackpot that is subservient to the manipulators of science who are dreaming to control knowledge.

  7. #47
    Herald of the Titans Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by everything nice View Post
    you realize what this means, right?

    The general off-topic section of mmo-champion is evidently the intellectual elite of the world. Think of what we could accomplish, beavis! Unlimited potential!
    unlimited!
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by connectz View Post
    This is not true at all, I know several people including my dad who scored in the 160 range multiple times. You would be quite surprised at who all has high IQs...
    Do you realise that the odds of scoring 4 standard deviations away from the average is?

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    You realize what this means, right?

    The General Off-Topic section of MMO-Champion is evidently the intellectual elite of the world. Think of what we could accomplish, Beavis! Unlimited potential!
    Or it's just the internet, where the vast majority of self descriptions and accomplishments are lies or exaggerations. :P

    I think my take is more likely! Not going to lie, reading through 3 pages of people claiming they have genius or near genius IQ levels is amusing.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  10. #50
    Fluffy Kitten Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    9,877
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I suppose 200+ IQ is possible theoretically, but on a probabilistic level it's about 1 in a billion chance.
    There are several over 200, but it was done essentially by manipulating the math, by testing out of their age group if I remember correctly.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Your friend and uncle aren't anywhere close to those numbers. An IQ of 160 is simply way, way, waaaaaaay up there well beyond 99.9999999% of people. People like that don't really live just normal lives. Even if one them were that high, the odds of you knowing -another- person that high would be astronomical, virtually impossible due to simple odds.
    I hate to break it to you but yes, their IQ's were that high. Those numbers actually aren't too uncommon, there are plenty of people with high IQ's living normal lives. Also those aren't the only people with IQ's "waaaaaaay up there well beyond 99.9999999% of people" that I know. My mother is another example of someone with a high IQ at about 164, however she claims that her IQ is that high because she knows what they're looking for in an IQ test.

    I'm a little amused that you honestly believe that everyone with a high IQ is living a life with huge impact on society, because that certainly isn't the case.

    EDIT:

    Reading through this thread I keep seeing people saying "You know hat the odds are of scoring..." We're talking about an incredibly numerous species of over 7 billion individuals. Each of which is a vastly different person from the next. The "odds" don't hold nearly as much weight in this case.
    Last edited by Skabbo; 2012-10-09 at 04:13 AM.

  12. #52
    Mechagnome nachoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado!
    Posts
    557
    at least over 9000. OT: i have no clue lol
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

  13. #53
    Iq tests are like cpu benchmarks, nice to have a high number but no real application (unless your like 180+ and likely insane in some fashion).

  14. #54
    Took one in highschool in psychology class, it was 140 something. It does make sense seeing as how my brother or cousins had to work their asses off just to get decent grades and I just coasted along without any trouble.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    There are several over 200, but it was done essentially by manipulating the math, by testing out of their age group if I remember correctly.
    Hmm. I thought a normal IQ test isn't calibrated for those ranges, so beyond 160 the numbers are essentially experimental?

  16. #56
    Bloodsail Admiral Decagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Unfortunately, Central Utah
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Skabbo View Post
    I hate to break it to you but yes, their IQ's were that high. Those numbers actually aren't too uncommon, there are plenty of people with high IQ's living normal lives. Also those aren't the only people with IQ's "waaaaaaay up there well beyond 99.9999999% of people" that I know. My mother is another example of someone with a high IQ at about 164, however she claims that her IQ is that high because she knows what they're looking for in an IQ test.

    I'm a little amused that you honestly believe that everyone with a high IQ is living a life with huge impact on society, because that certainly isn't the case.
    No, but that still doesn't change the odds. The odds of knowing 2 people with a confirmed IQ of over 160 is probably upwards of 1 in a few thousand trillion. The odds of knowing 3 people with a confirmed IQ of over 160 is probably closer to infinity than it is to 1 in a few trillion.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by connectz View Post
    This is not true at all, I know several people including my dad who scored in the 160 range multiple times. You would be quite surprised at who all has high IQs...
    Simply put, you don't. 1 in 31,560 people have an IQ of 160 or above. So statistically, for you to know "several" people that have them that high, you would only need to know about 150,000 people or so. Derp.

    http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  18. #58
    Bloodsail Admiral Decagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Unfortunately, Central Utah
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Hmm. I thought a normal IQ test isn't calibrated for those ranges, so beyond 160 the numbers are essentially experimental?
    Sort of, I believe that they create new IQ tests, or alter the IQ tests or something like that to determine their IQ. Though I could be wrong.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Simply put, you don't. 1 in 31,560 people have an IQ of 160 or above. So statistically, for you to know "several" people that have them that high, you would only need to know about 150,000 people or so. Derp.

    http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx
    No no, his mom is at 164 as well, so he knows 3. So that makes it ok. I bet if you keep calling him on it we will find out his entire family are super-geniuses! And his IQ is over 300!

  20. #60
    I see many people here writing 135-160 which are probably liars. I took an actual iq test, a real one, not online and my iq is 127.
    'T Vlaamse heir staat immer pal, Daar 't winnen of daar 't sterven zal. Alhier, Aldaar aan lange lansen de leeuwen dansen, de leeuwen dansen.... En de leeuwen dansen, de leeuwen dansen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •