Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Sign I need a bigger PSU?

My USB ports are totally full. Well, I pluged my new razer blackwidow into 2 of the usb 3 ports and my naga no longer worked in a usb2 port for some reason. It would power on then off and stay off. I ended up having to run the mouse off my keyboard and it's got a really long cable so it's kinda in the way. Every other port is in use especially the usb 3 ports, which I only have 3 I believe, 2-3 I forget. But yea, is this a sign I need a bigger power supply you think since it's not powering all my devices, etc?

It's only a 520w PSU, so.

It's difficult to say since we have no idea what the rest of your specs are. One way you can check if your power supply is large enough is to use an online power usage calculator (antec.outervision.com is the one ehow.com lists)... if your 520w is lower than the number is calculates for you, it is possible. However, it sounds to me that the USB ports themselves may be at fault. Try unplugging some of the other devices (you said they're full) and reconnecting your mouse and keyboard to the ones you were trying when they weren't working. If they then work, it would seem to be a load problem. If they still don't work, then it's the ports or an associated part, rather than the PSU.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's saying the recommended is 564w, minimum is 514w.

My specs are:

i5-2500k @ 5ghz
    8gb ddr3 2100 ram
    gtx560ti 448core
    soundblaster x-fi
    asrock p67 extreme4 gen3 mobo
    hyper212+ cooler
    2 7200rpm hdds
    1 5400rpm hdd
    2 cruical m4 ssds in raid 0

usb items I use

razer blackwidow
    n52te
    razer naga
    all in one printer
    some $10 usb hub for flash drives, etc

Quote Originally Posted by galook View Post
    It's saying the recommended is 564w, minimum is 514w.

My specs are:

i5-2500k @ 5ghz
    8gb ddr3 2100 ram
    gtx560ti 448core
    soundblaster x-fi
    asrock p67 extreme4 gen3 mobo
    hyper212+ cooler
    2 7200rpm hdds
    1 5400rpm hdd
    2 cruical m4 ssds in raid 0

usb items I use

razer blackwidow
    n52te
    razer naga
    all in one printer
    some $10 usb hub for flash drives, etc
    Your printer probably doesn't draw power from your computer, although it could.

Tell us your model number of your PSU - is it 80 plus, bronze, etc. This makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by galook View Post
    To clarify, it should be able to produce 520W no matter the rating - it will just draw more power from the wall.

Do you overclock at all?

edit: just saw you stated 5 ghz
    Last edited by Discobeard; 2012-10-08 at 09:21 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reason I had asked because when I first had it built it wasn't a problem. I first built this system BEFORE I had the i5, the keyboard, the mouse, the grpahics card, etc. And I do believe I didn't check something because if it wasn't enough it wouldn't even power on for more than a few seconds now would it.

And I know I need to upgrade the power supply because it is the ONLY part left I haven't upgraded and every other person I've talked to had convinced me that it would be enough power but I didn't have all the extras I have now.

EDIT: Yes, I do have it overclocked which could be why it's drawing more power than it would otherwise. Didn't think usb drew that much power with all the usb devices I have.

Just to clarify, the system works flawlessly except for that one mouse powering on and off. It's been running for the past 90+ days no problems at all btw. So I was just curious about why all of a sudden it started powering the mouse on and off when I first plugged it in. Plugging it into the keyboard fixed that issue though.
    Last edited by Bryce; 2012-10-08 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post
    Is this a joke ? A trolling attempt or are you dumb ?

IF THE MINIMUM NEEDED is 514...and the RECOMMENDED is 564................YOU PUT AT LEAST A 600W in it..........YES you should change your power supply before it kills your system...................WOW...im really impressed at how bad you built this...
    Take a deep breath there little fella. When I calculate the required I don't get that high - in the 450w range.

Pretty large handful of severely misinformed posts here, so lets clear this up:

Your rig under absolute max load would draw around 385w~. Your PSU is plently, and isn't causing your issues.

1. 2500k @ 5Ghz = 140w~ max
    2. 560 TI 448 = 210w~ max
    3. mobo/HDDs/everything else = 35w~

Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post
    Is this a joke ? A trolling attempt or are you dumb ?

IF THE MINIMUM NEEDED is 514...and the RECOMMENDED is 564................YOU PUT AT LEAST A 600W in it..........YES you should change your power supply before it kills your system...................WOW...im really impressed at how bad you built this...
    Not only are you completely wrong, but there's no need to be offensive.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    Try putting it into a different usb slot. It could just be a faulty usb. Is it just the mouse that is messing up? It is possible it is just a faulty mouse.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's just the mouse. And I tried the other usb3 port after unplugging my keyboard and it worked there, not other usb2 port will power it though. Strangely though I had it in a usb2 port before I got the keyboard though. Oh well, I'll just figure out how to run the cable with it in the keyboard for right now.

The mouse is also double clicking when I only click once so it could very well be the mouse acting up. Just wished I had the receipt still and I'd replace it -_-.

15+ Year Old Account
    The double click on the naga does happen to many people(not me though). I believe there is a fix for it but you have to open it to fix it I think. ot sure what you have to do to fix it, try googling it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose