View Poll Results: Which had the better TV show?

Voters
87. This poll is closed
  • Pokemon

37 42.53%
  • Digimon

50 57.47%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[TV] Digimon or Pokemon TV shows? Which do you prefer?

In your opinion which which one of these former prefer battling franchises had the better cartoon? Pokemon or Digimon? Which one did you like the best and why do you think it's better than the other?

Personally I prefer digimon because I thought the universe was better. The kids changed up with each season so you didn't have to deal with that pesky Team Rocket. not to mention the depth the digimon TV show got itself into. Tamers was the best out of all of them.

"Of coarse the games for Pokemon were better"

10+ Year Old Account
    Digimon had a better story. But, both shows kind of ruined it by going too far, ending up with a whole new cast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Digimon.

Games obviously go to Pokemon, as you said.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where the bad salad is kept crisp on ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Personally I prefer digimon because I thought the universe was better. The kids changed up with each season so you didn't have to deal with that pesky Team Rocket. not to mention the depth the digimon TV show got itself into. Tamers was the best out of all of them.

"Of coarse the games for Pokemon were better"
    I must agree with everything here, even as a kid I appreciated the much darker (well, you get my meaning) theme of digimon. Pokemon had it's high points, but only digimon had me craving for the next episode every week.

Digimon games are actually pretty fun for me, I love the difficult grinds (digimon world 4, dusk).
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    He's riding to work, he's not escaping from a star destroyer

The show Digimon was amazing and contained genuinely interesting story lines, showed the characters of previous seasons grow up (Ash has been 13 way too long), and the games were amazing. Pokemon is losing its place in my heart, I dont want an icecream pokemon, or a broom pokemon, or anything that very obviously contained no imagination to create.

Digimon was way better in most respects except for the games and cards. I think it might be the nostalgia talking but there was character development in each episode. The story wasn't also so one sided in terms of the main characters. In Pokemon, it's all about Ash with the random episode or two about his sidekicks. In Digimon, each kid had their own little subplot on why their life was screwed up or how they wanted to be the best at what they did.

Tamers was deep and it was even a little tooo dark for the target audience. The one gripe I have with it is the crappy ass puns and one liners in the first two seasons in the English dub. Seriously though, Digimon was my childhood. I hated the Pokemon anime after a while. It's the same bullshit over and over. Ash gets a new Pokemon and is a tard, refusing to evolve it. He gets to a new gym and loses pretty badly. His Pokemon pulls a Deus Ex Machina and then he clobbers the leader in the rematch. The eps where he's not at a major city getting pwned, he's losing to team rocket or some random filler they pull out of their ass.

I never liked Digimon, I honestly just saw it as a rip off so I never watched it. I do believe the show is better than Pokemon's, since... well, to be frank, it's shit. However, I'm voting Pokemon for nostalgic bias.

God I think a gritty version of Pokemon with an older Ash would be amazing.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

What I liked about tamers as well as the original was the fact that ADULTS played a major role especially Henry's father and his agents in tamers.

They weren't treated like lower class people either. As most TV shows like Pokemon shove them into the background.

Deleted
    Digimon season one sucked, I enjoyed the second season though once the bullshit introductions were over.

After rewatching all pokemon last year I'd say I enjoyed pokemon from season 1 to 10. Black and white was seriously the downfall of pokemon, not because of the "new gen pokemonzzz" but because of Ash became an even bigger idiot than he was in season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by planrawsto View Post
    I always laugh when people say this, since Digimon came out first.
    Because a 6 or so year old would know this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Digimon season one sucked, I enjoyed the second season though once the bullshit introductions were over.

After rewatching all pokemon last year I'd say I enjoyed pokemon from season 1 to 10. Black and white was seriously the downfall of pokemon, not because of the "new gen pokemonzzz" but because of Ash became an even bigger idiot than he was in season 1.
    Yeah, Ash is a terrible character. I wish they would make a better plot, and switch main characters off with each new season.

Season 1 Kanto being Red --- > Gold or Crystal for Johto.. and so on.

Digimon was shit. Pokemon is bad too(especially Ash), but it's still superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nachoman007 View Post
    Pokemon is losing its place in my heart, I dont want an icecream pokemon, or a broom pokemon, or anything that very obviously contained no imagination to create.
    But there wasn't much creativity in the pokemon everyone loved in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by planrawsto View Post
    I always laugh when people say this, since Digimon came out first.
    Actually, Pokemon (Pocket Monsters) originated in Japan in 1995/1996. Digimon didn't come around until after Pokemon had been ported over to America (1997 I think.) After Digimon came out, Monster Rancher (Monster Farm) jumped on the train almost immediately afterward.

Digimon's first season or two were good; but after that it just fell off IMO. Pokemon was a show that had potential, but always ended up falling short for one reason or another. There was one very gritty promo for.. either Diamond/Pearl generation (or possibly Black and White generation) that was VERY gritty - and if the entire series had been like that it'd be a cult anime favorite instead of a kid's show favorite. (There was also another series only aired in Japan, the name escaping me at the moment, where the lead trainer had a Typhlosion and the show was a lot more serious.)

Pokemon has the edge on the games though. The only thing that remotely comes close for any of the competitors was the one.. Monster Rancher PS2 game (if I keep franchises and systems right) where one could literally unlock monsters by inserting pretty much any disc (music, data, etc) into the system and those new monsters would become available for use in-game. THAT was pretty sweet. All the rest was bland knock-off.
    Last edited by Invictus9001; 2012-10-09 at 04:32 AM.

#FlightIsImportant

Pokemon would be good if Ash wasn't so much of a dipshit. Really? Your level like fucking 100 Pikachu is losing to a gym leader in a new region where he's got like level 20s maximum? No. Anime logic was always shitty logic, but Pokemons logic always made me want to throw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Digimon was shit. Pokemon is bad too(especially Ash), but it's still superior.
    Why do you belive so? I mean every single pokemon season was basically ash and friends stopping Team Rocket, Getting badges, and ash not even making the SEMI-finals of any pokemon league. While Digimon shook things up a bit every season.

Seriously just let him win once! Winning the league doesn't make you master. You gotta fight the Elite 4 1st as well as current champ.

Why do you belive so? I mean every single pokemon season was basically ash and friends stopping Team Rocket, Getting badges, and ash not even making the SEMI-finals of any pokemon league.

Seriously just let him win once! Winning the league doesn't make you master. You gotta fight the Elite 4 1st as well as current champ.
    Basically just this! I sound like a fanboy but this is spot on.

TV = Digimon
    Games = Pokemon

Digimon World 1 was awesome as a kid, one of my favorite games. If they would have stuck with the tamagotchi style with their games they would have probably been way more successful.
    If you're losing an argument, insult their grammar/spelling.

I forgot all about Digimon. I honestly don't remember a single thing about it, at all, except that I thought it was better than Pokemon, which annoyed my Pokemon-loving friends to no end. The only thing I liked about the Pokemon show as a kid was Misty's shorts. I guess the Mewtwo movie was okay, just because he reminded me of Frieza. I find it odd that I don't remember anything about the show I found superior, but remember plenty about the other. To be fair though, I thought they were both utter crap. Dragonball Z was my cartoon.

Why do you belive so? I mean every single pokemon season was basically ash and friends stopping Team Rocket, Getting badges, and ash not even making the SEMI-finals of any pokemon league. While Digimon shook things up a bit every season.

Because Skelington tried to watch Digimon many times at many ages and couldn't stand but to hate nigh everything about it. He said pokemon was bad too, but he could at least watch the Kanto and Orange Isles seasons as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by nachoman007 View Post
    I dont want an icecream pokemon, or a broom pokemon, or anything that very obviously contained no imagination to create.
    You mean like a Pokeball with eyes or an outright real animal being passed off as a Pokemon? (Pidgey, Seal, Horsee, Ekans.... all that good stuff.)
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-10-09 at 04:45 AM.