Thread: The Talk.

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,296

    The Talk.

    Okay, so me and my Partner were watching television and enjoying our evening when The Talk came on, we decided not to bother to change the channel because the remote was way too far away and we were tired. Besides we didn't think it would be that bad, it may have even been entertaining.

    We lasted 10 minutes. What the hell is this crap? The show literally consists of middle aged women talking about sexual promiscuity and scandal. At one point they were talking about how a woman should be and deserves to be the leader in a relationship. Excuse me? I was of the impression that relationships are mutually fulfilling for both people envolved, that there is no leader, you're supposed to share those responsibilities. Not only that, they proceeded to exclaim how right and amazing it is to have sex with your Ex....I mean seriously?

    Throughout the whole ordeal I was thinking, what if it was 4 men were talking like this? The bloody show would be boycotted and on every news entertainment show out there. The Men would be considered sexist dirtbags for believing a Woman should be "commanded" by a man. So why are these old "Ladies" (hags) allowed to spout this garbage on television? Why does society have such a double standard towards males and females? The whole show comes off as "We're females and we're so sleezy, tee hee, look at all the things we can get away with, silly men".

    I find it really sad and infuriating because I know there are plenty of Feminists and Women out there who simply want workplace and social equality, they wouldn't condone this garbage and exploit this double standard like these Women do.They give them all a bad name.

    Yes, this pretty much a rant. I just can't believe we allow this trash on television.

  2. #2
    Your entire rant makes no sense.

    You get mad at women on television being "sleezy" because it violates your equality point of view. Then you go on to say that if men had a show like this (which they do, remember "The Man Show"?) that it would be shunned.

    However, your entire argument of equality and feminism only has one direction to go, that men should be able to have a show like this as well. BUT you're saying that the behavior in general is simply unacceptable.

    TLDR: Your offense to the TV show has nothing to do with feminism or equality. You're apparently just not OK with sleezy people being sleezy.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  3. #3
    I'm not sure if you realise this, but all relationships are different, and so are people, some like to be in charge, some don't. I'm sure they have topics for the day that they have to talk about and discuss different angles of it...that's their job. The fact that this show is affecting you in such a way is puzzling and strange. There's a lot of garbage on TV, you can always change the channel, no one is making you watch.
    Waaaaah this guy was mean to me! Waaaaaaaaah!

    I'm mean because you're stupid.

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,296
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Your entire rant makes no sense.

    You get mad at women on television being "sleezy" because it violates your equality point of view. Then you go on to say that if men had a show like this (which they do, remember "The Man Show"?) that it would be shunned.

    However, your entire argument of equality and feminism only has one direction to go, that men should be able to have a show like this as well. BUT you're saying that the behavior in general is simply unacceptable.

    TLDR: Your offense to the TV show has nothing to do with feminism or equality. You're apparently just not OK with sleezy people being sleezy.
    No, I'm not okay with double standards.

  5. #5
    I'll just post this here:

    Note: vulgar language, etc.


  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    No, I'm not okay with double standards.
    Last time I checked, Howard Stern still has the most popular radio show in existence. The Man Show was popular, there's a ton of others, just watch anything on Spike.

    Anything else? I really see nothing for you to be offended by. Watch something else if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  7. #7
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,495
    Fun fact: Feminism gets television, and other media attention. Masculism does not.

    It's the same reason "Lesbians" are awesome, generally, and "Gay Dudes" are not. It's the same reason that lesbians are allowed in many, many churches, and gay men are not. It's just a product of male dominated (and in turn, the fight against) society.

    EDIT: "The Man Show" and "Howard Stern" are not masculism. They are just gratuitous male celebration. They do not focus on defending male rights. Feminism does. Do not confuse these.
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-10-09 at 08:24 AM.

  8. #8
    Hahahaha wow. Well I think women can say these things because, who's listening? If men say something, it is heard!
    (just joking)

  9. #9
    Dreadlord internetheroxD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Batcave, Sweden
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Okay, so me and my Partner were watching television
    Title: The Talk
    I totaly thought this was a thread about a breakup..

    This whole female rights thing has gone out of hand, 90% of my girlfriends have done sh*t all in the house, they never clean, never wash clothes, never do anything cause thats what they are "supposed to" according to them and therefore they feel degraded if they do... Like whaat?
    In my experience the whole female rights thing have made all the girls i have dated (i dated 3 girls for over 3 years each) lazy and they do nothing at home nowadays. Just cause the whole "the woman should be in the kitchen 24/7" thing is wrong (which i believe it is) dosnt mean they should go all lazy and not do anything at all, a relationship is about helping each other out.

    Thats my 2 cents.

    Thank you Shyama <3
    Everything's amazing but nobody's happy
    -Louis CK

  10. #10
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,495
    IH pretty much hit a lot on the nail.

    Any abused minority will usually take advantage of that status, given some leeway. It's actually pretty normal. Feminism as a selling point will die out eventually as a 'topic of debate', just like women's right to vote, and slavery.

  11. #11
    Field Marshal Vomitory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    TLDR: Your offense to the TV show has nothing to do with feminism or equality. You're apparently just not OK with sleezy people being sleezy.
    His argument did make sense. He isn't saying that men should be able to have a show like this, he's pointing out that it's double standards that males couldn't get away with expressing similar views in a similar format. You don't need a 'TLDR' for two small paragraphs.

  12. #12
    The Talk ? Cool, next show will be The Walk.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Your entire rant makes no sense.

    You get mad at women on television being "sleezy" because it violates your equality point of view. Then you go on to say that if men had a show like this (which they do, remember "The Man Show"?) that it would be shunned.

    However, your entire argument of equality and feminism only has one direction to go, that men should be able to have a show like this as well. BUT you're saying that the behavior in general is simply unacceptable.

    TLDR: Your offense to the TV show has nothing to do with feminism or equality. You're apparently just not OK with sleezy people being sleezy.
    And your argument is completely invalidated by the VERY SIMPLE FACT that most people who ever saw "The Man Show" KNEW it was fucking comedy (it was hosted by 2 comedians for fucks sake), not something to be taken seriously, unless you were a complete idiot. On the other hand, "The Talk" is something that I would imagine most women who watch it take very seriously.

    And the rest of what you said... I can't even fathom what made you say it, except you are either a female that likes "The Talk" or... I really don't know what else you might be aside from either Sharon Osbourne defending herself or Ozzy not wanting to get his dick chopped off and thus defending his wife.

    All I know is that your argument avoids very pertinent points in the discussion and makes you sound like an idiot.

  14. #14
    Mechagnome Fitzgerald77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Last time I checked, Howard Stern still has the most popular radio show in existence. The Man Show was popular, there's a ton of others, just watch anything on Spike.

    Anything else? I really see nothing for you to be offended by. Watch something else if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to.
    The Man Show was on comedy central which is a network where just about anything goes and I don't remember Adam and Jimmy laughing at women being raped/murdered/abused. The show was more about having fun with dancers and strippers, getting drunk, skits and crazy games that made both men AND women look stupid. As for my man Howard Stern, his show does not really revolve around making fun of women (he makes fun of men more than he does with women actually, especially the ones he works with LOL) and is not really aimed towards a male audience like the way shows like The Talk and The View are aimed for a female audience.

    These shows are total fucking garbage anyways and are just as bad as all of those reality TV shows out there. Most of the hosts on these shows are completely clueless and braindead (I remember hearing about one woman on the view thought that the world was flat....) which is why all they can really do is talk about celeberties and their personal lives, give out relationship advice that is absolutely absurd and hate on men.

    The video that Icedwarrior linked above pretty much says it all if you ask me.
    Last edited by Fitzgerald77; 2012-10-09 at 10:17 AM.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

  15. #15
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,495
    (I remember hearing about one woman on the view thought that the world was round....)
    I dont even

  16. #16
    Mechagnome Fitzgerald77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I dont even


    LOL...... Major derp moment there I meant flat
    Last edited by Fitzgerald77; 2012-10-09 at 10:18 AM.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

  17. #17
    I am Murloc! Ryme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a field, somewhere
    Posts
    5,909
    These double standard go both ways and whilst this is a fairly serious one, it is not the most heinous. I honestly believe that these will continue until society finally accepts that, actually, gender equality can never be attained. Trying to pretend that men and women are perfectly and exactly equal is foolish in my eyes.

    However, to be perfectly clear, this does not extend to human rights. We are both human and deserve the exact same human rights, I am not a monster that believes either a woman or a man does not hold the same stature in society. I mean simply in a social environment, not as a rights issue.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    These double standard go both ways and whilst this is a fairly serious one, it is not the most heinous. I honestly believe that these will continue until society finally accepts that, actually, gender equality can never be attained. Trying to pretend that men and women are perfectly and exactly equal is foolish in my eyes.

    However, to be perfectly clear, this does not extend to human rights. We are both human and deserve the exact same human rights, I am not a monster that believes either a woman or a man does not hold the same stature in society. I mean simply in a social environment, not as a rights issue.
    Well when people talk about equality they are talking about human equality in a philosophical/legal sense, like you mentioned in your second paragraph. They're not arguing that they are the same physically or psychologically.

  19. #19
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    These double standard go both ways and whilst this is a fairly serious one, it is not the most heinous. I honestly believe that these will continue until society finally accepts that, actually, gender equality can never be attained. Trying to pretend that men and women are perfectly and exactly equal is foolish in my eyes.

    However, to be perfectly clear, this does not extend to human rights. We are both human and deserve the exact same human rights, I am not a monster that believes either a woman or a man does not hold the same stature in society. I mean simply in a social environment, not as a rights issue.
    But our human rights are linked to the social environment.
    This "society opinion" changes our laws and has an effect on the justice system.

  20. #20
    The Insane Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    19,808
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I'll just post this here:

    Note: vulgar language, etc.

    You pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •