Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Explain "EF blanketing" to a fello pally.

As the title says, I need some insight about what is EF blanketing, why is it so good, how to perform it properly and, most important, I need some tips to improve my healing. Thank you very much in advance.
    IM TEH RET! er... teh holy... or it was teh prot?!
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

what is EF blanketing
    Blanketing in general is hotting/absorbing up your raid before heavy periods of damage (example, rejuv or renew spam before heavy aoe phases, even if members are at full health). Therefore, EF blanketing is a healing style that involves having multiple EF hots up on different members of your party/raid. Overhealing isn't a big issue when blanketing, because you do it primarily for the 30 sec hot.

why is it so good
    1. Because Selfless Healer sucks and Sacred Shield is limited to one target and screws up your raid if your prot pally specced for it as well (they usually do).
    2. Because it's mana free.
    3. Because every individual tick heals your beaconed tank for 50% of the amount.
    4. Because chained with Holy Avenger or a lucky Divine Purpose chain you can have ABSURD amounts of spot healing and blanketing.

how to perform it properly
    Note: this is my personal experience only.

I pull with 5 holy power, EF the beacon tank, HS the beacon tank, EF the other tank (for me, overhealing is not that important, since any time I waste waiting on damage to happen at the start of the fight is less holy power generated). After this, it depends on the fight: for Stone Guard for example, I do the above setup and then wait for a Jade Shards, pop holy avenger and rotate HS and HR with EFs weaved in between, even if it's overhealing. The main reason why is because those hots will be ticking for 30 seconds, which is really comfortable: that's approximately 15 secs your beacon tank will be receiving consistent hot healing, and 30 secs each of your raid members will have a decent hot on them (perfect for Stone Guard, since the aoe damage is slow and steady), which also procs your mastery.

In fights like Feng however, where the damage is administered in short bursts EF blanketing loses a lot of potential, because most of the time you won't be able to get enough EFs out before the next aoe burst and the hot won't be enough to keep people up.

I need some tips to improve my healing.
    You'll have to be more specific :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Slutty gave a pretty good explanation on the concept and how it should be done.

I think the only thing I want to add is that EF blanketing isn't about the actual EF heals or even healing the person its on sometimes. You just want to aim to have as many of the 30 second HoTs up so that your beacon is constantly receiving heals. This means you want to cast the EFs with just one or two HP. Waiting for more Holy Power greatly limits the amount of HoTs that you can have up through this method and greatly limits this strategies output.

Quote Originally Posted by Slutty View Post
    1. Because Selfless Healer sucks and Sacred Shield is limited to one target and screws up your raid if your prot pally specced for it as well (they usually do).
    Please elaborate why the raid is screwed up if both the Holy and Prot Paladin are specced for Sacred Shield. I do not understand.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sacred Shield used to only allow one SS per target, if the Paladin tank and and the paladin healer both chose SS, they could not both apply their SS the tank.

but i thought that had been changed , , ,

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    but i thought that had been changed
    that was my understanding as well, which is why i asked for clarification

Sacred Shield used to only allow one SS per target, if the Paladin tank and and the paladin healer both chose SS, they could not both apply their SS the tank.
    Yeah, maybe I should've clarified... i thought it could stack too, but actual testing is either glitchy or confusing. Sometimes in 5 mans, I would SS the paladin tank and was able to see both SS buffs on him. However, every other time and 100% on my raid I was able to see only my SS buff even though we both were casting it. as such, I concluded that it didn't stack for some reason, and couldn't find any recent information on the matter :/

Deleted
    Yeah, maybe I should've clarified... i thought it could stack too, but actual testing is either glitchy or confusing. Sometimes in 5 mans, I would SS the paladin tank and was able to see both SS buffs on him. However, every other time and 100% on my raid I was able to see only my SS buff even though we both were casting it. as such, I concluded that it didn't stack for some reason, and couldn't find any recent information on the matter :/
    maybe you were confused on the actual buffs. both sacred shield and the shield itself have the same icon.

maybe you were confused on the actual buffs. both sacred shield and the shield itself have the same icon.
    Nah, I know that. I'm seeing 2 buffs icons when I should be seeing 4, or at least 2 when they're both absorbed. Most of the time I only see one.

Sounds like something that shoudl be reported on the bug forum, or at least maybe twittered to GC as a "we noticed this, can you look into it and confirm the intended mechanics please?"

15+ Year Old Account
    Unless EF scales crazy well, I'm not sure how terribly useful this actually is in practice. My experience with EF while leveling and in Cata raids has been that it heals for almost nothing.

Either way, my raid doesn't run a Paladin tank, so Sacred Shield is probably superior for me.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Unless EF scales crazy well, I'm not sure how terribly useful this actually is in practice. My experience with EF while leveling and in Cata raids has been that it heals for almost nothing.
    Well, it functions pretty much like every other hot (and heals for approximately the same amount if you compare tooltips), so it shines on fights with light but constant aoe (Ultraxion, Feng spear phase, Sapphiron). However, it's also great as a spot heal tool because of the massive instant portion. And additionally, for every 2 EF you lay on raid members your beacon target is healed for another one. As mentioned above, Light of Dawn is still superior in burst aoe situations.

Well, it functions pretty much like every other hot (and heals for approximately the same amount if you compare tooltips).
    At 3HP I'm assuming? It might heal like every other hot but it doesn't function like Rejuv or Renew as it has a cooldown imposed by HP.

As for SS, mine was definitely stacking with the Prot's I ran with today.

At 3HP I'm assuming?
    At 3HP, yes. As for the cd it's true as well, but do keep in mind that the other hots don't have a strong spot heal component like EF does.

Nah, I know that. I'm seeing 2 buffs icons when I should be seeing 4, or at least 2 when they're both absorbed. Most of the time I only see one.
    This seems like something easily testable, il get with a a pally tank asap (none in guild atm) unless someone can beat me to it. I am pretty sure they stack just fine, but there are many unmentioned hotfixes.

I've already confirmed that they stack fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    My paladin tank and I also tested this and they seem to stack.

EF and SS are close enough to where it's personal choice on any given fight. Neither are make or break, and if you comes down to you NEEDING one or the other, you're already doing something wrong. I personally love EF blanketing and beacon switching, and I hate SS, but that it my own decision.

Tried this for raid last night and it seemed to be effective for the first two bosses (except when I needed burst aoe healing on boss 2.) I had many fewer mana issues than I had on previous raid night. It really felt like I was on my shaman again watching for riptide hots to go off before I threw out another one.

Are people generally EF blanketing with one HoPo or do you wait for three/five? (I tested it 1 vs. 3 and the power of the hot seems to be unaffected by it.) I can keep it rolling on ~5-6 raid members with a rotation something like HS/EF/HL/HL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurobara View Post
    Tried this for raid last night and it seemed to be effective for the first two bosses (except when I needed burst aoe healing on boss 2.) I had many fewer mana issues than I had on previous raid night. It really felt like I was on my shaman again watching for riptide hots to go off before I threw out another one.

Are people generally EF blanketing with one HoPo or do you wait for three/five? (I tested it 1 vs. 3 and the power of the hot seems to be unaffected by it.) I can keep it rolling on ~5-6 raid members with a rotation something like HS/EF/HL/HL.
    I try to go for 1 HoP EFs but since I've never played a HoT class, I'm still getting using to spreading it around and would sometimes do 2 HoPs. The risky thing about blanketing is when the tank needs a big heal and all you have is one or no holy power.
    I feel EF is too much "work" compared to SS but EF obviously has it's own benefits on certain fights.