Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Opinions on a LFG Implementation

I am currently rather enjoying Guild Wars 2 having started playing it around three weeks ago. However, due to schedules and commitments in the big mean real world, I often can't get online quite as much as I would like to. What this amounts to is the possibility to play for perhaps an hour or so each night. While completing hearts and exploring sated my gaming needs for quite some time, I was really looking forward to dungeon content.

And it sucked. Really hard. It was quite possibly the least enjoyable PvE experience I have ever had in any game that I have played. Yet, I want more. I want to improve and I want to work out where I am going wrong in how I conduct my play style. So more dungeons seem to be the answer.

However, actually being able to find a group for the lower level dungeons is proving tricky; I don't have a considerable amount of time to burn standing around in the zone or in Lion's Arch hoping to find a group. As much as Guild Wars does seem to respect your play time by offering questing and exploring in bite sized chunks, the dungeon PvE content seems to be a polar opposite. I have since found myself gravitating back to WoW as it actually has that LFG tool that lets me run a few dungeons late in the evening without any hassle.

I would love to see LFG in Guild Wars 2 and I don't think it would be a detriment to any supposed idea of community in the game given the promiscuous nature of server hopping and the mute world events. Does anyone else feel the game could benefit from a LFG option?

Deleted
    There should be at least an overflow (underflow?) per map regardless of how many players are on each server. And an option to join that overflow.

It's so much faster to find group when you are in the overflow...

The game would not benefit from LFG option is current state as the explorable dungeons are meant to be run by highly organized and synergistic groups at least according to devs. Sure story mode might be PUGable but again you are not really meant to repeat it. By the way there is LFG tool of some sort in the game already, go to you social window "Y" by default, go to Looking for group tab and set yourself to Looking for group rather than online. Best idea would be to find likely minded people and plan it with them *cough* guild *cough*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerom View Post
    go to you social window "Y" by default, go to Looking for group tab and set yourself to Looking for group rather than online. Best idea would be to find likely minded people and plan it with them *cough* guild *cough*
    Thanks for pointing out the toggle option; I find the game UI to be a little clunky at times and things such as that are hardly evident. Alas, I am in a guild currently and planning ahead is something that simply isn't applicable, hence my want for a LFG tool.

The apparent fact that the dungeons are designed only to be run by groups familiar with one another is a little disheartening. My hopes of finding a game able to repeat the wonders of being able to do East Tower in PSO with a pick up group purely consisting of people who know how to play may need to wait a little longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some dungeons, you cant enter if the event is not cleared outside etc.
    A better party search interface would be good.

LFG is an absolute must from the very launch for every new mmo that has any sort of dungeons. There's no reason to not include it. Unfortunately actual minority of players who's unhappy with it and keeps coming up with one same bullshit reason "it ruins communities" is also a vocal majority on forums and are often hardcore players, who like to be more unique, because they can be arsed with making their own set parties of few selected players, while casuals have to struggle trying to pug. But when casuals leave, hardcores can't keep the game alive, and when hardcores leave, nobody notices.

Deleted
    To get better in dungeons you need people to give advice. 1 in 1000 people in LFG will give you advice... if even that. Better choice, get a guild and ask them for help.

And no,a LFG tool where you queue and get a group is not a must for a game like GW2. Why? Because, unlike most games, you're not going to sit 21480824 years looking for that healer or tank you need. You are looking for 5 people of any kind.

Deleted
    i dont need it.

i port infront of the dungeon, spam the map char with "lfg for XY" and after 5 minutes i have my full group.

Searching and inviteing people have always been a better dungeon experience then with tossed randoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    And no,a LFG tool where you queue and get a group is not a must for a game like GW2. Why? Because, unlike most games, you're not going to sit 21480824 years looking for that healer or tank you need. You are looking for 5 people of any kind.
    While im ambiguous on the issue I can see how it couldnt hurt really and would only add a quality of life feature for those interested. One of the strongest draws of that other game that shall not be named is the ability to just log on and que up for something to do. While im not a fan of nor advocating that style of play if done correctly a group finding tool could be a asset to the game and help dispel that mythic zomg nothing to do at 80 issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally i would vote no.
    LFR/LFD is nice when farming dungeons, however i believe dungeons shouldn't be designed to be farmed but instead designed to be played like once in a while with friends or people you meet in the world.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

The game just needs a better search system for dungeons. Something in the UI you can click on the dungeon name and get a list of all players wanting to do that dungeon, and a note about their class and build.

I don't really notice people having trouble finding groups for dungeons on my server. It tends to take less than 5 minutes from the first "LF4M whatever dungeon" spam for the group to fill up.

I do think their biggest mistake was putting a lot of dungeons in zones where the average person in the zone is too low level for the dungeon (aka any dungeon in a 1-15 zone).

Deleted
    I would like a better looking for group implementation than the current, the ability to list yourself as looking for a specific dungeon, list your group as looking for more, and add pertinent information such as what path you're looking for, story/exp, what class/any other information, would be useful. The current "looking for group" is functionally useless to me.

I would sort-of-like some sort of global LFG channel, rather than having to use map chat - since the dungeons themselves are in low level zones and people are often out exploring the world, it would help smaller population servers if there was some centralised communication.... the downside of that is unfortunately of course that people will use it for general chat and/or gold selling/spam which then defeats the purpose and most people will turn it off.... a better listing/advertising yourself as available or LFM would probably just be fine.

However convenient an automatic grouping system is, I do feel that it takes something away from a game in the community/communication department.

I'm not for an LFG system that puts you into the group with people and ports you to the dungeon, no. I would like just a general LFG tab that lets me see who (maybe in the zone, maybe in general across the server or every server) has their status set to LFG and then let me sort it by profession/dungeon desired/mode desired. All of this can be achieved with check boxes. I would use the hell out of that.
    Why do I run? Why do I slay? Why do I play? ...Carrots? Nay.

If you want to do dungeon runs then join a guild that does dungeon farming runs. You can join multiple guilds in GW2, Shouldnt be that hard to find one with that type of play. Specially once they add the guesting feature and u can look on different servers for a good guild for runs.

I think an LFG tool would be excellent. A global system that allows you to select what you are doing, be it a certain dungeon, event, dragon hunting, personal story, or even just exploration. Playing with others is one of the best ways to get stuff done and have a good time doing it.

However a straight up dungeon finder would probably suck.

A LFG tool like they had in Guild Wars, just make it global, would be perfect for this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatela View Post
    Alas, I am in a guild currently and planning ahead is something that simply isn't applicable, hence my want for a LFG tool.
    Hey Miatela, not sure if you are aware of it but you can join up to 4 guilds. So you can be in one that's more social, one that's WvW focused, one that's more PvE focused, etc., and just swap your represent around as you're looking for a particular activity.
    Valar morghulis

Honestly, I'd love to have a system like what Aion has and WoW used to have. A dedicated window for people looking for groups to advertise that they are either LFM or LFG for something.

I know GW2 kinda has one, but it's like, really bad. Would be awesome to see an implementation of it where you could flag yourself for specific dungeons and people could find you by searching for anyone who's flagging themselves for the dungeon, then you could check out some info about the person you want to invite and invite away. Conversely, you could check to see if there were any groups flagged as looking for more and send them tells to try and get an invite.

I'd rather not use the LFG tool that exists in WoW/Rift/SWTOR/TERA (though it's super convenient), but GW2 should really beef up their LFG system a bit IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post

I'd rather not use the LFG tool that exists in WoW/Rift/SWTOR/TERA (though it's super convenient), but GW2 should really beef up their LFG system a bit IMO.

Well on the official forums the dungeon dev said they know their lfg tool is lacking and they will improve it, hopefully relatively soon.

I still think all we need is a message board type system. Something that states that you are lfg and what you are looking for, and have it global so I don't have to be in the exact zone to search for a group.

Well, an LFG tool could not hurt the game. But I think it'd be easier to just shore up the already existing systems in the game.

Port all party members to dungeon regardless of where they are, for example. Right now, everyone has to go to the same zone. Yet that's all you have to do. So it's okay that I only have 1 way point in all of Fireheart Rise but I somehow can not be teleported in to the dungeon if I am in LA? Nonsense design.

Also, the existing LFG tool. Attach a LFG global chat to the LFG already in the game. That entire UI element can be redone and broke out of the social menu- wtf?
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-10 at 05:44 AM.