Thread: Headset help

Deleted

Headset help

Hey
    I've been looking at buying a new headset, since my previous ones (Razer Carcharias) broke. This is the 3rd razer headset I've owned, and all of them had loose connections in the wire, this is also the reason why I'd like to try out another brand. This is why I've come to you, mmo-champion.

My knowledge about headset brands is very limited, and I'd like to hear what other gamers think, before going out spending $200-300.

My budget is about $200-300, and have been looking at the Astro A50s, but not quite sure about how their overall quality is, as I'm not only looking for a good headset for games, but for music as well.

Do any of you have any expeirence with the A50s, or do you have another one in mind?

As a side question, I'm kind of looking to get a new mouse. I'm using the Razer Naga at the moment, but was thinking about the Razer Naga Epic, or maybe another mouse entirely, so if you have any idea about what good gaming mice is out on the market right now, please share :P My mouse budget is about $100-150.

Deleted
    How many times it has to be said? STAY AWAY FROM GAMING HEADSETS

I have megalodon mainly because it's a USB headset with it's own EQ part + physical microphone mute button. absolutely priceless and comfy.
    Jamshield - Silvermoon EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentStocket View Post
    Then please do give a hint of what I should be looking at.

I Have heard the same thing as well but no one have given me like any examples of a good headset with ether a attached mic or seperate mic.
    i mean the few recomended mic / headset i have goten is like the snowball mic and like some pro DJ headset.
    Witch alone is really exensive and for the fact that you need a proper sound card to give them enogh juce and it all adds up to a redonkylus price tag.

im personaly using a steelseries siberia and it works wonders and its not that expensive ether
    but im up for suggestions for a new headset

Deleted
    200/300 seems abit excessive on what purpose headset you are looking for i still recommend my corsair vengeance 1500 even though it is currently being RMA"d due to wire failure and expecting new one next week. (overall very solid sound/mic for gaming/movies once you tweaked the presets accordingly)
    else just AKG for some they got some high end stuff

15+ Year Old Account
    Since you're looking at A50's; my brother has a pair he was given by Astro and really likes them. He said they're not noticeably heavier than the A40's but the wireless on them is nice.

Astro and Razer are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of quality and customer service. Astro being at the very good end. Have an issue with something? Not a problem; if you originally bought the product directly from Astro there is a high chance they will fix/replace them at no cost to you (aside from shipping them there).

If you're not an audiophile music will be fine on the Astro's. If you are an audiophile, you will probably want to look for closed-back headset/headphones
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Not gonna lie, I'm sick and tired of people suggesting headphones and a clip on mic when people want headsets. I have headphones for when I really want to hear the quality of my music, but most of the time I don't care, just as long as its not fuzzy and echoing. When people ask for opinions on headsets, give them opinions on headsets. If they want headphones, give them opinions on headphones.

To the OP, You could also give the Corsair 1500 headset a try. I've been using it for quite a while now and I pretty much like everything about this headset. Microphone is clear on both Skype and Ventrilo, and the sound quality, to me, is more than enough.
    Last edited by Static; 2012-10-09 at 03:08 PM.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

Deleted
    Cheers for the input guys, think I'll look a bit into the Astros since I'm kinda hooked on the look and how well they've been recieved by the reviewers, and the wireless thing aint too bad either.

Avoid headsets labelled for gaming, if you ever want to use them to listen to music/movies and want it to sound good. Headphones are better for games than gaming-headsets for music/movies.

Headsets will always give you far less sound for the money than headphones with a clip-on/stand-alone mic.

USB sound is usually of a worse quality, but there are exceptions (USB DACs that you plug 3.5mm cables in)

If you still have to have a gaming headset, Sennheiser PC360 is your best bet. Razer and Steelseries make crap for sound; they are not sound companies.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-10-09 at 05:11 PM.

Deleted
    IF I were to headphones, plus a mic, what would the price be? (aprox.) and what kinda brands should I look at?
    Rather get something I'll be happy with, than waste more money on stuff that I either get tired off or breaks.

The biggest breakpoint for headphones and headsets is the cable, or in the case of the wireless, the connection keeps dropping.
    There are headphones that come with a removable cable, like the Sennheiser HD558 and HD598 for example, and these are very highly thought of for sound. (with this being the clipon mic)
    If you want them to be more portable, closed and doesn't leak as much, the ATH-M50 is a good choice. Not as good sound quality, but not exactly bad. Less pricy as well. The pleather cuffs can make your ears warm after several hours of use however.

Ello, i'm gonna bump in here and recommend the Takstar 2050/ technical HPT-PRo 90, if you feel safe buying from ebay, at 63 dollars these are better for media consumption then the dt 880, although they are inferior is a few ways.
    Still, mighty good deal, very comfy, great sound, doesnt look all that great and the regulators/headband are a bit badly built, but great overall.
    If you want to go with a legitimate sound company and not a chinese product, list your music preference.

With all that being said, you'd probably also want an amplifier/dac, although the takstar is not an amp-hungry headphone, i can comfortably drive it at 10 to 12 o'clock on my amp.
    I can recommend you either a fiio e10 or an ODAC. for more specialized recommendations, go to head-fi.
    Generally, unless your motherboard gives you sound interference or too loud of a noise when it does processing, or your headphones are juice hogs, you're not going to want one.

Also, tetris, didnt you get the takstars, how'd they turn out for you?
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Deleted
    amg, cheers for all the info. Think I'm pretty good on sounds right now, settles on buying headphones+mic, instead of a headset.. taking a risk of trying some new stuff :O

Now to find a new mouse, anyone got any tips about anything non-razer or steelseries?

Quote Originally Posted by Arihant View Post
    amg, cheers for all the info. Think I'm pretty good on sounds right now, settles on buying headphones+mic, instead of a headset.. taking a risk of trying some new stuff :O

Now to find a new mouse, anyone got any tips about anything non-razer or steelseries?
    I've heard good things about the ergonomics of the mionix naos and the qpad 5k. I'm personally using a trackball, though.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Deleted
    rat 7
    and there is even a special mmo version of it with more buttons if you would need it.

Deleted
    Hmm, that Mionix one looks pretty neat, Keller.

A Cyborg? Heard some mixed things about those, you had any experience with them?

If you still have to have a gaming headset, Sennheiser PC360 is your best bet
    I second that.

I have both a Beyer Dynamics DT770 pro ant the pc 360.

I end up using the Sennheiser most of the time, even for music and blu-rays.

Tested the Siberia V2, some Logitechs, Corsairs...none of them came close.

Deleted
    got one myself (albino standard one) to replace my naga since i don't play any MMO atm.
    it's a wierd looking thing but after few days of use it plays so smooth and comfy