Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

(paid tpvp) for all you gem store conspiracy theorists

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/s...d-pvp-iceberg/
    Here’s the reward breakdown for paid automated tournaments:
    1st place – 1 Gold Tournament Reward Chest, 360 glory, 360 rank points, 180 Gems
    2nd place – 1 Silver Tournament Reward Chest, 240 glory, 240 rank points, 120 Gems
    3rd place – 1 Silver Tournament Reward Chest, 120 glory, 120 rank points, 4 Tournament Tickets
    4th place – 1 Silver Tournament Reward Chest, 120 glory, 120 rank points, 4 Tournament Tickets
    5th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
    6th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
    7th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
    8th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
    Yes, you read that correctly: you can win gems in paid tournaments. If you are REALLY good at GW2 sPvP, you can actually make gems while playing in paid tournaments. We think that’s pretty cool. Those gems can be used on anything in the store, including more tournament tickets!
    so we can win gems

free gems

that is, anet is essentially giving out money. and i anticipate that actual prize money events will be annual world championships

so if you REALLY cant afford anything in this game, get good at pvp?

inb4 paid tournies require entry fee!!!!!

then start winning free tournies, you will win tickets with first place. paid tournies can be done without paying a single cent or copper

inb4 "they arent giving out money"
    yes, they are. its lost revenue to create gems and give them to you in the live enviornment
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-10-09 at 01:29 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

I hope this isn't taken as a derail of your topic because it's good info, But I really cannot see how anyone could play the game and think they want to make you spend money on gems for anything beyond convenience stuff, which you can just earn by playing naturally and trading gold for them anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omgarsh View Post
    I hope this isn't taken as a derail of your topic because it's good info, But I really cannot see how anyone could play the game and think they want to make you spend money on gems for anything beyond convenience stuff, which you can just earn by playing naturally and trading gold for them anyway.
    its partly a stab at all the conspiracy theorists i make fun of routinely on and off this forum

the thread is still meant to be entirely serious. if slightly condescending
    The Original Ganksta

180 gems for first place.. that's like what, a dollar? Good luck making 'money' off tournaments.

edit: Your point is totally valid though. Conspiracy people are nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    Conspiracy people are nuts.
    I am almost positive this tpvp thing is a trojan horse of the communists coming to put fluoride in my water and brain wash me into killing mitt romney.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I am almost positive this tpvp thing is a trojan horse of the communists coming to put fluoride in my water and brain wash me into killing mitt romney.
    Sounds like Catcher in the Rye... or Poop that took a Pee?

Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    Sounds like Catcher in the Rye... or Poop that took a Pee?
    Actually a cross between Dr Strange Love and Manchurian Candidate.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You know you're dealing with silly fanboys when the statement "a company is trying to make money" is seen as a "conspiracy theory".
    Sounds like wow fanboys to me
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're saying a wow fan is less likely to consider the gem store a conspiracy riddled money grab than a gw player

Wut?
    The Original Ganksta

You know you're dealing with silly fanboys when the statement "a company is trying to make money" is seen as a "conspiracy theory".
    Conspiracy theory being discussed: money is so scarce because they want to force you to buy gems.
    Response: they give out gems to the winners of tournaments, meaning they're injecting gems into the economy for no monetary gain
    Reasonable conclusion: C.T. is insane.
    Your conclusion: Countering C.T. is done by a fanboy.

I must be missing something here...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Conspiracy theory being discussed: money is so scarce because they want to force you to buy gems.
    Response: they give out gems to the winners of tournaments, meaning they're injecting gems into the economy for no monetary gain
    Reasonable conclusion: C.T. is insane.
    Your conclusion: Countering C.T. is done by a fanboy.

I must be missing something here...
    I was overwhelmed by the amount of wrong as well

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 10:07 AM ----------

It's not even a conspiracy theory, heh. You guys throw that phrase around so much.

And yes, you did apparenty miss something, because you still think that A.Net wanting you to buy gems is a "conspiracy theory". Well no shit, a company wants to make money. Wow. Someone call the Channel Four News Team, these guys are onto a real breaking story over here. Get them on the talk show circuit, everyone needs to hear this important revelation.
    I'm certain you're confused
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are the ones thinking that it's a "conspiracy theory" for someone to think that a business wants to make money, but I'm the one that's confused. Yep.
    Ummmmmmmm no?

We're mocking the people who do
    The Original Ganksta

See, you don't even know what "conspiracy theory" means, do you? The people you're mocking certainly aren't calling it a conspiracy theory, you're calling it one. That's how you're trying to "mock" them, even though you just end up looking like you have your head so far up A.Nets' ass that you can't even see who you're talking to.

Hot info: A.Net wants to make money. They're a business. Just looking at the game, it's completely obvious to see all the places where they're encouraging people to buy gems. To act as if you honestly think that they're not trying to encourage you (or someone else) to buy gems is just...well, refer to my above comment about heads in asses.
    Again, you're missing the point. The conspiracy theory in question presupposes that ANet balances player income around the fact that they want players to buy gems to sell for gold (other conspiracies may follow, but that's the baseline). Sure, they want to make money...but they're not forcing people to buy gems with cash to make money (hell, I have a friend who bought gems with gold and came out richer after). If their only goal was to make money off the gem store, they wouldn't be giving gems away for free (yes, paid tPvP requires tickets for entrance, but hell, I have a ticket and never bought it, so you can't even say people are forced to spend money to have a chance to win gems).

If you can show me how they're forcing (or as you put it, encouraging) players to buy gems....They've always said that if you want certain things (ie, legendaries) it requires either time or money, but to play the game normally there's no requirement or encouragement.

Sure, some things are, but at the same time they're player choices. If you're an altoholic packrat who needs every legendary but doesn't have time for more than 1hr/day and must complete your goals asap, then sure you'll spend a small fortune. If you prefer to focus on a single character, then you can use your other character slots as bank alts (especially if you pick up a few 20 slot bags for each), and not spend a penny. What they do give you right out of the box should be sufficient to get started with, as long as you're creative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well sure, you CAN play the game without spending a dime. I certainly have. It's just like other F2P/B2P games in that regard...no one holds a gun to your head and makes you spend money, but at the same time there's plenty of subtle (or in some games not so subtle) things that either entice you to spend, or wear you down after a while, etc etc.
    Oh please, enlighten us on how you don't get a tourney ticket from just about every gold chest you ever open... go on...i'm waiting...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there are point to that, or are you just going to intentionally play dumb because you feel obligated to protect your MMO-Jesus?
    Um... We get a ticket from just about every gold chest we open, this means you never have to actually pay money to get into a tourney if you just play the game and don't suck.... I know, I know, it's hard for you closed minded ex wow players who seem to think anyone who has a brain and likes GW2 worships it... I mean seriously, have you even played in sPvP? Cause it's pretty ridiculous how easy it is to get those tickets....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    a ticket from EVERY golden chest we open... HMMM where did you hear that??? sure there is a CHANCE that there will be a ticket in it. but i never rad that its 100% chance to get one in every gold chest. prove to me that im wrong fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by syom View Post
    a ticket from EVERY golden chest we open... HMMM where did you hear that??? sure there is a CHANCE that there will be a ticket in it. but i never rad that its 100% chance to get one in every gold chest. prove to me that im wrong fanboy.
    "just about every" != "every". Chance is chance, but the point is (for those keeping track) you don't need to put money/gems into the system to get gems out...and there's even the chance that nobody puts money into the system and gems come out. And please, leave the flaming out.

Quote Originally Posted by syom View Post
    He said 'just about every', probably meaning somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-90%. I don't know the facts myself, but that's what he said.

For real though, I hardly ever PvP, I think I'm a rank 5, and I already have 4 tournament tickets. I'd say that's pretty easy to get.

10+ Year Old Account
    durz is referring to the gold chests from tournaments

which the tickets dont come from. they are a separate reward awarded along with the chest for first place (which is a gold tournament chest)

you also get one every time you rank up via chests

so yes, every time you get a gold tourny chest you also get a ticket
    The Original Ganksta