Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109

    (paid tpvp) for all you gem store conspiracy theorists

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/s...d-pvp-iceberg/
    Here’s the reward breakdown for paid automated tournaments:
    1st place – 1 Gold Tournament Reward Chest, 360 glory, 360 rank points, 180 Gems
    2nd place – 1 Silver Tournament Reward Chest, 240 glory, 240 rank points, 120 Gems
    3rd place – 1 Silver Tournament Reward Chest, 120 glory, 120 rank points, 4 Tournament Tickets
    4th place – 1 Silver Tournament Reward Chest, 120 glory, 120 rank points, 4 Tournament Tickets
    5th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
    6th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
    7th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
    8th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
    Yes, you read that correctly: you can win gems in paid tournaments. If you are REALLY good at GW2 sPvP, you can actually make gems while playing in paid tournaments. We think that’s pretty cool. Those gems can be used on anything in the store, including more tournament tickets!
    so we can win gems

    free gems

    that is, anet is essentially giving out money. and i anticipate that actual prize money events will be annual world championships

    so if you REALLY cant afford anything in this game, get good at pvp?

    inb4 paid tournies require entry fee!!!!!

    then start winning free tournies, you will win tickets with first place. paid tournies can be done without paying a single cent or copper

    inb4 "they arent giving out money"
    yes, they are. its lost revenue to create gems and give them to you in the live enviornment
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-10-09 at 01:29 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  2. #2
    I hope this isn't taken as a derail of your topic because it's good info, But I really cannot see how anyone could play the game and think they want to make you spend money on gems for anything beyond convenience stuff, which you can just earn by playing naturally and trading gold for them anyway.

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Omgarsh View Post
    I hope this isn't taken as a derail of your topic because it's good info, But I really cannot see how anyone could play the game and think they want to make you spend money on gems for anything beyond convenience stuff, which you can just earn by playing naturally and trading gold for them anyway.
    its partly a stab at all the conspiracy theorists i make fun of routinely on and off this forum

    the thread is still meant to be entirely serious. if slightly condescending
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  4. #4
    180 gems for first place.. that's like what, a dollar? Good luck making 'money' off tournaments.

    edit: Your point is totally valid though. Conspiracy people are nuts.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    Conspiracy people are nuts.
    I am almost positive this tpvp thing is a trojan horse of the communists coming to put fluoride in my water and brain wash me into killing mitt romney.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I am almost positive this tpvp thing is a trojan horse of the communists coming to put fluoride in my water and brain wash me into killing mitt romney.
    Sounds like Catcher in the Rye... or Poop that took a Pee?

  7. #7
    You know you're dealing with silly fanboys when the statement "a company is trying to make money" is seen as a "conspiracy theory".

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    Sounds like Catcher in the Rye... or Poop that took a Pee?
    Actually a cross between Dr Strange Love and Manchurian Candidate.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You know you're dealing with silly fanboys when the statement "a company is trying to make money" is seen as a "conspiracy theory".
    Sounds like wow fanboys to me
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  10. #10
    Sounds like wow fanboys to me
    Standard reply. You guys bring up WoW ten times more often than the people that you claim to be WoW fans or WoW supporters. Hell, I don't even play the game anymore...and you're the one with WoW stuff in your signature.

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    So you're saying a wow fan is less likely to consider the gem store a conspiracy riddled money grab than a gw player

    Wut?
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You know you're dealing with silly fanboys when the statement "a company is trying to make money" is seen as a "conspiracy theory".
    Conspiracy theory being discussed: money is so scarce because they want to force you to buy gems.
    Response: they give out gems to the winners of tournaments, meaning they're injecting gems into the economy for no monetary gain
    Reasonable conclusion: C.T. is insane.
    Your conclusion: Countering C.T. is done by a fanboy.

    I must be missing something here...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  13. #13
    It's not even a conspiracy theory, heh. You guys throw that phrase around so much.

    And yes, you did apparenty miss something, because you still think that A.Net wanting you to buy gems is a "conspiracy theory". Well no shit, a company wants to make money. Wow. Someone call the Channel Four News Team, these guys are onto a real breaking story over here. Get them on the talk show circuit, everyone needs to hear this important revelation.

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Conspiracy theory being discussed: money is so scarce because they want to force you to buy gems.
    Response: they give out gems to the winners of tournaments, meaning they're injecting gems into the economy for no monetary gain
    Reasonable conclusion: C.T. is insane.
    Your conclusion: Countering C.T. is done by a fanboy.

    I must be missing something here...
    I was overwhelmed by the amount of wrong as well

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 10:07 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's not even a conspiracy theory, heh. You guys throw that phrase around so much.

    And yes, you did apparenty miss something, because you still think that A.Net wanting you to buy gems is a "conspiracy theory". Well no shit, a company wants to make money. Wow. Someone call the Channel Four News Team, these guys are onto a real breaking story over here. Get them on the talk show circuit, everyone needs to hear this important revelation.
    I'm certain you're confused
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  15. #15
    I'm certain you're confused
    You guys are the ones thinking that it's a "conspiracy theory" for someone to think that a business wants to make money, but I'm the one that's confused. Yep.

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You guys are the ones thinking that it's a "conspiracy theory" for someone to think that a business wants to make money, but I'm the one that's confused. Yep.
    Ummmmmmmm no?

    We're mocking the people who do
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  17. #17
    Ummmmmmmm no?

    We're mocking the people who do
    See, you don't even know what "conspiracy theory" means, do you? The people you're mocking certainly aren't calling it a conspiracy theory, you're calling it one. That's how you're trying to "mock" them, even though you just end up looking like you have your head so far up A.Nets' ass that you can't even see who you're talking to.

    Hot info: A.Net wants to make money. They're a business. Just looking at the game, it's completely obvious to see all the places where they're encouraging people to buy gems. To act as if you honestly think that they're not trying to encourage you (or someone else) to buy gems is just...well, refer to my above comment about heads in asses.
    Last edited by Bovinity Divinity; 2012-10-09 at 03:20 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    See, you don't even know what "conspiracy theory" means, do you? The people you're mocking certainly aren't calling it a conspiracy theory, you're calling it one. That's how you're trying to "mock" them, even though you just end up looking like you have your head so far up A.Nets' ass that you can't even see who you're talking to.

    Hot info: A.Net wants to make money. They're a business. Just looking at the game, it's completely obvious to see all the places where they're encouraging people to buy gems. To act as if you honestly think that they're not trying to encourage you (or someone else) to buy gems is just...well, refer to my above comment about heads in asses.
    Again, you're missing the point. The conspiracy theory in question presupposes that ANet balances player income around the fact that they want players to buy gems to sell for gold (other conspiracies may follow, but that's the baseline). Sure, they want to make money...but they're not forcing people to buy gems with cash to make money (hell, I have a friend who bought gems with gold and came out richer after). If their only goal was to make money off the gem store, they wouldn't be giving gems away for free (yes, paid tPvP requires tickets for entrance, but hell, I have a ticket and never bought it, so you can't even say people are forced to spend money to have a chance to win gems).

    If you can show me how they're forcing (or as you put it, encouraging) players to buy gems....They've always said that if you want certain things (ie, legendaries) it requires either time or money, but to play the game normally there's no requirement or encouragement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  19. #19
    They obviously aren't forcing you to buy gems, but to think that they have not/are not thinking of ways to encourage people to buy gems is ten times stranger than any "conspiracy theory" about throttling gold income.

    Everything from the woefully tiny starter bank space to the smaller number of character slots relative to the number of classes, to the amazing amount of gold/time that a Legendary would take...you can be sure that it's all crafted with the goal of making income in mind. That's not a slam or insult, it's just business. To think that it's anything else is just being silly.

  20. #20
    Sure, some things are, but at the same time they're player choices. If you're an altoholic packrat who needs every legendary but doesn't have time for more than 1hr/day and must complete your goals asap, then sure you'll spend a small fortune. If you prefer to focus on a single character, then you can use your other character slots as bank alts (especially if you pick up a few 20 slot bags for each), and not spend a penny. What they do give you right out of the box should be sufficient to get started with, as long as you're creative.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •