Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    welcome to the world of Engineers..
    no what OP says is true, BS/engineers relays to heavily on alchemy, yes we get our BASE materials from mining(i'm engi/miner) but for our high-end stuff we need alch which tailoring/leather working/alch and the other professions.
    and we relay on a CRAFTING PROFESSION NOT A GATHERING PROFESSION.
    go learn what is what.
    Skinning=gathering profession.
    Herblism= gathering -----
    Mining = gathering
    Cloth farming = gather durp.

Alch= Crafting profession.

It's good for professions to depend on one another. They should add more codependency. It keeps the economy interesting, gives reasons to talk to others and to be nice to the people who are helping you get what you need to make what you want. Find an alchemist on your server, be really nice to him, maybe you can come up with a mutually beneficial profession trade system.

Or just make an alt and level alchemy. It's the easiest proff to level.

Because stuff like Arcanite, Primal Might and Truegold never existed, right? Plus, transmutation is sort of a common ground for the standard BS+Mining and Alch+Herb combos. This mutual dependency is part of the game and has always been.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had Alch+Mining alt to support my JC+BS main since early WotLK.
    So the thing with Living steel didn't bother me.
    But I agree that it makes buckle very expensive and I think this was quite a poor thinking on Blizz side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ucplayer View Post
    The main problem is we are dependant on another profession (Alchemy).
    Oh god, today people see this as something bad? Really? Player interaction, live economy and crafting in MMO is wrong?

If anything, I'd love to see more interdependancies between professions.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, Tailor, LW and BS make epic armour.

Tailor uses Imperial Silk, made on cooldown by Tailor!
    LW uses Magnificent Hide, made on cooldown by LW!
    BS uses Living Steel, made on cooldown by Alchemist!!

And no one sees a problem with that?

Oh yes, and leg enchants by tailor, made by Tailor mats, leg armour by LW, made with LW mats, Belt buckle by BS, made with Alchemist Mats....
    Last edited by Arahir; 2012-10-15 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arahir View Post
    Why should we have a problem with it? And trying to treat this as some sort of moral issue of "fairness" is risible on its face.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    And trying to treat this as some sort of moral issue of "fairness" is risible on its face.
    And balancing classes would be risable too? Give me a good reason why one crafting profession should be so heavily dependant on another and maybe I will concur. Professions should be balanced, if you are going to make one dependent on another, make them all equally so.

Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    I think you miss his point...
    He's pointing out that BS can not make a lot of things without depending on another PRIMARY profession (i.e alchemy)
    Welcome to the problem engineers have been facing forever.

No one likes it. Except alchemists. There's no logic behind it either really. Everything crafted at max level requires living steel. And those crafted things barely even compare with heroic dungeon gear. It's terrible reward for a ridiculous amount of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Ok, Tailor, LW and BS make epic armour.

Tailor uses Imperial Silk, made on cooldown by Tailor!
    LW uses Magnificent Hide, made on cooldown by LW!
    BS uses Living Steel, made on cooldown by Alchemist!!

Oh yes, and leg enchants by tailor, made by Tailor mats, leg armour by LW, made with LW mats, Belt buckle by BS, made with Alchemist Mats....
    You get the raw materials needed for Living Steel from mining though.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
    You get the raw materials needed for Living Steel from mining though.
    Ghost Iron ore is everywhere and cheap in the AH, all they need is the Trillium transmute and an Alchemist is set!

And balancing classes would be risable too?
    I've heard apples and oranges are TOTALLY the same things!

Give me a good reason why one crafting profession should be so heavily dependant on another and maybe I will concur.
    So that players have an incentive to trade with one another, adding value to the game via interactions through the auction house?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    I just love that no one has mentioned engineering which is actually in the same spot as BS. But i guess its true that no one takes it seriously huh?
    This is the only profession i wouldn't waste time on too lvl, its not for profit its for PVP. It has 2 things right now a trinket that is only currently wanted and cogs for that trinket, soon it will be useless for gold like always.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    So that players have an incentive to trade with one another, adding value to the game via interactions through the auction house?
    Then why only blacksmiths and not also tailors and leatherworkers?

Deleted
    It's unfortunate, BS-ers didn't roll the master proffesions: JC and Inscription, and instead settled with some useless, crappy profession that you barely even make money with.

My main has a BS and I have 10 characters with Transmute Alchemy, life has never been better.

OP, adapt with the times or get left behind. I'm making over 10k a day from belt buckles with very little reposting.

Deleted
    I'm leveling it right now for the sole purpose of the socket in bracers and hands.

I think forcing Alchemists to be our source of Living Steel is great. If it does anything, it keeps the prices high on crafted epics. On my server, Cloth Epics are like 4-7k MAX... I sell epics for 30-40k, netting at MINIMUM 14k per item -- (assuming you sell Spirits for 1k each and Living Steel are 1k each -- for a chest @ 30k).

Also, if you have ANY level 85 toon with a useless profession... make it an alchemist! It's THE CHEAPEST (maybe behind inscription) to level and it's pretty profitable.

I just don't see any problem, whatsoever, in the least, with the position Blizzard has put Blacksmithing in. It's complicated economics... but it's working.

Edit:
    ALSO!! Like others have said... Socket Bracer/Gloves is THE BEST profession bonus for pvp or pve. You get to choose your stat, FFS.

Deleted
    I think ppl should be able to buy living steel with spirits of harmony.
    One way to get "kind of easy" harmonys is to plant seeds on tillers. its 1,6 spirit of harmonys a day if your exalted. And thats pretty easy to get

Quote Originally Posted by Sähäri View Post
    I think ppl should be able to buy living steel with spirits of harmony.
    One way to get "kind of easy" harmonys is to plant seeds on tillers. its 1,6 spirit of harmonys a day if your exalted. And thats pretty easy to get
    I agree with that, but it'd bring the price down a lot... the xmute would have to be on a longer timer or cost like 5x the mats.

Especially considering Golden Lotus are like 500g each on my server... 3 of them for 1 spirit = 1500g... Living Steel is 1000-1200g.

Then again... Golden Lotus are NECESSARY to make flasks for raiding, while materials aren't in that classification.