Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question Undroppable aggro

For some reason, some mobs tunnel-vision on me. Barely half an hour ago, six other people and myself (on my ranger with sb/lb) are fighting a champion destroyer harpy. During the fight, the harpy starts coming exclusively for me even though my pet is down and I've stop attacking to avoid the harpy. The harpy kills me, I'm revived by another player; a few seconds later, the harpy kills me again and another player revives me. Now this is the part that bugs me; I've been watching the harpy the whole time during my revival and the moment I got back on my feet, the harpy comes straight at me again. I didn't even have a chance to attack, I've barely gotten back on my feet and the harpy kills me again while ignoring 5 other players attacking it(6 overall if you count the player who revived me) It was like the moment the soles of my character's boots touched the ground, the harpy did a full blown kamikaze charge at me.

Keep in mind that this happened while I was trying do stay out of melee range from the harpy and the last part happened when I was a good distance away from it (It essentially came halfway across the room to get me).

This has happened numerous times on numerous characters/professions; they don't stop until I'm dead. I've tried control abilities; attacking more, even stopping my attack completely but some of these mobs seem to have one mission in life and that's to keep me dead.

Personally one of my biggest complaints in the game. I don't think there is an aggro table.

It happens to me all the time in dungeons. It makes the lack of trinity more annoying because these classes aren't meant for sustained aggro. You only have so many escapes/heals/defensive CD's before you run out of kite room.

In both situations, the problem is that you're outperforming the group you're with at the time, dying isn't an aggro wipe. However in almost all cases every class is just as capable of "tanking" for a period of time, just as much as the rest of them. Which is why going through with the mindset of being a glass cannon, is counter productive in PvE in general. If you're not spec'd for survival in some way, and geared with some sort of survival in mind, expect to die.

Aggro mechanics tend to vary from mob type to mob type, but a common mechanic (at least in GW1, I strongly expect it to be true in GW2) is they focus on the weakest target, whether weakest is defined by current health, armor, or (in GW1, but not GW2) Death Penalty. Proximity often has an impact as well, though I doubt those 2 scratch the surface of used mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Aggro mechanics tend to vary from mob type to mob type, but a common mechanic (at least in GW1, I strongly expect it to be true in GW2) is they focus on the weakest target, whether weakest is defined by current health, armor, or (in GW1, but not GW2) Death Penalty. Proximity often has an impact as well, though I doubt those 2 scratch the surface of used mechanics.
    There's this as well. They tend to aggro either their biggest threat or the weakest link.

Deleted
    There are some weird mobs that do this, yes.

I've personally kited a DE mob in circles for a solid 5 minutes while it refused to target anyone else of the 5 people around shooting at it. I thought it was hilarious at the time but it can also be annoying as hell.

What really grinds my gears is when mobs still focus you while you're downed. That really pisses me off.

Thank god Stealth is a reliable Threat drop...at least for a few seconds.

yea i had that happen to me like day 1 of pre release. Was fighting an ogre champ in queensdale and after a certain point in the fight he decided to make me his B*tch. Every time i got rezzed he would come straight for me. I would stealth and wait for him to run away, and soon as i came out of stealth he came right back and killed me again. This happened like 3-4 deaths and i decided to just take the nearby WP. After using it i sat on the edges with a shortbow and he never came at me again. Was really annoying at the time.

I can recall another time when a flame shaman zeroed in on my warrior in Ashford. Kills me once, return to a nearby waypoint and I kited him down to the lake with lots of neutral rock drakes. Needless to say, the drakes didn't appreciate the shaman shooting fire everywhere :P

I can't say I'm the biggest threat but I don't slouch when fighting powerful mobs.

Deleted
    Thing is.. if you die you dont loose aggro until you are completely dead. Downed state doesnt loose aggro, if it did mobs wouldn´t be able to kill you being in downed state. Therefore just ask your group/people around you to actually hit harder on the target rather than ressing.. They hit they have aggro you can still rez and keep urself in battle, if they play support while you hit.. you will never loose aggro. It´s just getting use to mechanics, the game is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    In both situations, the problem is that you're outperforming the group you're with at the time, dying isn't an aggro wipe. However in almost all cases every class is just as capable of "tanking" for a period of time, just as much as the rest of them. Which is why going through with the mindset of being a glass cannon, is counter productive in PvE in general. If you're not spec'd for survival in some way, and geared with some sort of survival in mind, expect to die.
    "The idea of a glass cannon" - What if I want to play a glass cannon?

This is a serious design flaw with the game in my opinion.
    You can't ever spec as a pure DPS class as the aggro tables do not work properly.

You are limited to heavy survival modes at all time and can't play dps on cloth classes at all.
    Not in PvP, you die. Not in PvE, you die. Not while questing, you die.

Let me not even get started on how squishy clothies are in general.

Bring back some form of the trinity, healer, tank, support, dps in my opinion. Then, you can actually make tactics for the fights instead of the absurd excuse for a "action rpg" that the game's dungeons currently are.

Now, everyone has to spec support/survival which is a bit stupid and a bad game design.

In my personal opinion, Guild Wars would have been a much better single player game with the ability to co-op. It really has little to no multi-player aspects aside from PvP and in the WvWvW, the PvE events, this is usually just a zerg fest. It's nice to see other players, but for all intention purposes, more NPC's would be fine to get some DE's done. The levelling is just plain dumb and they should never have bothered and rather just made

I like the game and do recommend it - as it is pretty polished up to level 60 at least - after that, it's a steaming unfinished turd of "rush to get out in time".
    Why do I recommend it? Once off purchase - good value for money - and I "trust" them to polish things.

I never said you can't be a glass cannon, but expect to die more frequently than those who aren't. That's the trade off.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-10-09 at 05:12 PM.

Hate this. Basically turns one person into a kiter while the rest become 100% DPS. And there's no way to determine which person has to kite.

It can be annoying, but at the same time it's a huge boon for your group. If they/you are effectively slowing the mob down a bit, you're basically freeing the rest of your group up to do full time damage to burn down the enemy without having to worry about getting hit in the face very much. I've had this happen a few times and it makes difficult mobs MUCH easier to bring down. Honestly, it's like easymode compared to people getting smacked in the face left and right.

10+ Year Old Account
    There should both be a way to gain aggro and drop aggro, at least temporarily, and how aggro is generated needs to be clarified because having mobs "lock on" to certain people is really annoying.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I guess that's where viewpoints differ, I don't care much for some generic aggro management system in GW2. I'm just as happy with the concept of, "you can and will get and lose aggro at any point, so be ready for it."

Personally I think aggro should be managed based on proximity. That way people can control how it is handled by swapping 'tanks' when necessary and supporting each other, rather than getting screwed by seemingly random mechanics.

There is a concept in GW2 called body blocking btw. The mob hits what's in front of it, if your group has determined that someone is designated as the "shit eater" for the run...then they really just stand in between the boss and the person it's "Aggro'd."

There is a concept in GW2 called body blocking btw. The mob hits what's in front of it, if your group has determined that someone is designated as the "shit eater" for the run...then they really just stand in between the boss and the person it's "Aggro'd."
    What?! You're speaking of *gasp* coordination with others!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

I've noticed this. If an enemy 'hits' something, then it basically gets stuck there. It's a really wierd way of aggro management, but if people start to use this, it could work lol.