View Poll Results: Pat on the back or a fist to the face?

Voters
200. This poll is closed
  • Pat pat pat

167 83.50%
  • Smash Smash Smash

33 16.50%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Also: Oh boy let's imagine this topic if the genders were reversed
    Rage would ensue, even though I can't deny I'd feel differently about I hope my common sense would've taken over and said "hey, you'd be okay if it was the other way around".

So, using common sense, In either way /pat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    It's pretty shitty that this is going to ruin her life forever. Was it inappropriate? Sure. But she doesn't deserve jail time, and worse yet she doesn't deserve to be labeled a sex offender for the rest of her life.

One-size-fits-all justice. Ammurica.
    Did you even bother to read the article? (or did I misinterpret your post? did you mean she shouldn't have to even be possible to face those charges, as in these shouldn't be the maximum charges?)

In accepting the plea agreement, Judge Patricia Summe granted prosecutors' recommendation to sentence Jones to five years of diversion but no jail time, and she won't have to register as a sex offender. The diversion requires Jones to report to a probation officer, and undergo drug tests.
    OT: I'd probably try to talk to my son and understand how this whole thing really happened. Was she manipulating him? Was he just trying to get her laid and made her believe he was madly in love with her (or something of that matter)? Or was it all consensual and they both really love eachother? Then proceed appropriately.

On the other hand, I'd probably be a little proud of my son too... society would somehow make me want to be proud (not that I blame society for me being the man who I am today, it just had its little contribution to my mind).
    Last edited by mmoc7168d263de; 2012-10-09 at 05:48 PM.

I don't think I would be very happy. There would be a long talk between me and each of them individually and then a talk with them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcho View Post
    Wait. How is this happening? Why is anyone in court at all? Is this a staged media event?

Age of consent is 16 in KY. (source)

So...

How can you plead guilty or be tried for something that isn't illegal?
    It's rape by position of authority. It's the same way psychiatrists can not have sex with their patients, and how guards can not have sex with inmates.

she was hot, so it was ok

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    They really need to stop slapping female teachers on the wrist. This is disgraceful and sends a really bad message.

There's a good damn reason why it is illegal for teachers to have sex with underaged students. Teachers have a lot of power to interfere with a student's future, and minors aren't really mentally mature enough to fully grasp the consequences. What if the boy wanted to date someone his own age and the teacher felt slighted and wanted to get revenge? If the student needs to keep it a secret from his parents, he makes a good target for blackmail.
    He actually makes the single worst target for blackmail ever. If she tells, he could claim rape and it could blow up in her face. He essentially had a free pass if he ever decided to leave her because she could do nothing to him for fear of her secret getting out and potential jail time. Anything she did could have been easily countered with, "Go ahead and tell, you'll go to jail."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd get mad at him so my gf doesn't get mad at me.
    Then I'd pat him and give him the don't tell your mother look.

Yeah, I'd be a horrible father

15+ Year Old Account
    "his family were uncooperative with them and sided with his former teacher."

I love the fact that his own family sided with the teacher,if they don't have a problem with it, I don't think I should.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    He's freaking 17. And good for him! I agree that it's unethical for the teacher to be in a relationship for the student, but I don't believe in the magic line the law has invented between 17 and 18. Plenty of folks over 18 are still immature idiots. Plenty of people under 18 have regular sex in loving, consenting relationships. I only care that noone was abusing the other. Though I do agree it's not something a teacher should do with a student, but that's an employment issue.

Props to the family for siding with the teacher.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    I think he asked parents.

ummm isnt this months old? i remember seeing this on the news a few months ago the same exact story and she admitted to it way back then from the start.

either way hes 17 it doesnt matter, in the majority of states 16 is the legal age of consent.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    My son would never do this if I had a girlfriend which I do want but I digress. My son WOULD NEVER do it, I'd teach him manners.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    My son would never do this if I had a girlfriend which I do want but I digress. My son WOULD NEVER do it, I'd teach him manners.
    if your son is 17 you wouldnt be able to stop him to be honest
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    if your son is 17 you wouldnt be able to stop him to be honest
    I know I wouldn't be able to stop him. But I can guarentee this wouldn't happen ever.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I would probably be happy yet annoyed. I am not a fan of double standards yet I would probably feel good about my son having this notch on his belt.

The amount of people that don't comprehend positions of power compromising informed consent in this thread is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The amount of people that don't comprehend positions of power compromising informed consent in this thread is astounding.
    how is this any different then a boss sleeping with his Secretary? should she be fired? sure but it shouldnt be something court is involved with

Deleted
    But I can guarentee this wouldn't happen ever.
    Doesn't work that way.

I can say that there is most certainly a double standard when it comes to this kind of thing. I have 4 boys and a girl and if this was one of my boys, you get high fives (unless the teacher forced them in which case someone's getting a beat down, although she is/was a cheerleader so that may merit some re-evaluation). If it was my daughter, regardless if it was consensual or not, someone's getting a beat down and she would be grounded until she moved out of the house.

It's very similar to how it's considered OK for a man to sleep around yet not OK for a woman to do the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    But of course if the genders were reversed, everyone would be absolutely disgusted..
    Idd, people who think this is ok but not the other way around are plain stupid imo.
    Im also pretty sure the pat pat pat are just guys who think she's hot anyway, as that is what matters! appearently..
    Not that the smash smash smash are girls only