1. #1

    Elegon 25 normal

    What does everyone think the best spec for Elegon is? It would be great to hear what spec people think is best and why.

    My views from attempts so far are:

    - Sub has great burst and the fight has lots of burst windows between running out to reset stacks and killing the sparks.

    - Assassination has great execute and the damage at the end is obviously very important because of the enrage and stacking debuff. Spark damage is lower although it is ok if you pool energy for each spark. Aoe is obviously important.

    - I have not tried Combat.

    What does everyone think. I see most people playing Assassination and Combat and wonder why. I have been playing Sub and it has been going just fine...

    If people are playing Assassination or Combat, it would be great if they could say why and what the advantages (or problems) are with playing those specs on this fight.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Herald of the Titans T Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,530
    Sub damage is low. with the target swapping your going to want something that can burst down a spark right away. You wont have the burst to push 4-6 sparks as sub.

    I tried it as combat and its great damage but low damage on sparks.

    Assa wins for me, good damage on the boss, good damage on the sparks

  3. #3
    Stood in the Fire valiorik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    446
    I would say rdd and only rdd. They can stand on border just making 1 step to drop debuf and can switch between pillars and sparks easily.

    P.S.: beg your pardon, came here from google search and missed it was rogues forum. Bows?
    91 lvl Elit Alcoholic Ирез

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by valiorik View Post
    I would say rdd and only rdd. They can stand on border just making 1 step to drop debuf and can switch between pillars and sparks easily.

    P.S.: beg your pardon, came here from google search and missed it was rogues forum. Bows?
    Rogue forum.
    Modern Guild
    25 Man 11/14 Heroic
    Sean

  5. #5
    Assassination is doing great on the fight.
    Pooling energy, keeping rupture up on the boss and dispatch procs for the sparks produces the best burst we have on those adds without using cds.
    The boss takes the most damage sub ~35-40%, which means that assassination's execute really shines on the final burn.

    Subtlety is really doing bad on the fight due to not having sanguinary vein up on every spark for burst and the frequent target switches.

    Remember that in order to avoid losing uptime for melees, you canb ring the add out to reset stacks while melees still have something to do. That allows you to shadowstep back directly to the boss and lose little to no uptime.

    For reference, this is a world of logs of our kill.

    www(.)worldoflogs(.)com/reports/0fco5cev2e9rf00j/sum/damageDone/?s=10915&e=11465
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2012-10-08 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Added wol link

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Assassination is doing great on the fight.
    Pooling energy, keeping rupture up on the boss and dispatch procs for the sparks produces the best burst we have on those adds without using cds.
    The boss takes the most damage sub ~35-40%, which means that assassination's execute really shines on the final burn.

    Subtlety is really doing bad on the fight due to not having sanguinary vein up on every spark for burst and the frequent target switches.

    Remember that in order to avoid losing uptime for melees, you canb ring the add out to reset stacks while melees still have something to do. That allows you to shadowstep back directly to the boss and lose little to no uptime.

    For reference, this is a world of logs of our kill.

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0...=10915&e=11465
    Fixed your link.

    I was using assassination last night, dunno what I will use tonight yet, but I disagree with your point about sub. You can use SB, vanish->FW, and dance on the last 3 sparks which all give really good burst. Specificially on the last spark where you need the most burst, assassination isn't going to touch shadow dance burst.

    If the add you are talking about bring out is the one that explodes for raid damage... you absolutely want to bring it out after 25% because it gets the 50% damage buff for its explosion if it is on the platform. Easily resetting stacks is a bonus.

    I do think assassination is probably the best though and like you said if you keep rupture on Elegon for the energy and pool before the sparks spawn it isn't too bad. Combat would probably have better cooldowns for that, however you would need to be extremely careful with KS as using it too early can teleport you to another lanes add (which likely means phase over as by the time KS is over and you run back to yours it will probably have hit) but if you wait too long to hit it, you won't be able to make use out of the full 3.5 seconds. Then as mentioned, early fight boss dps overall doesn't matter as much as late fight boss dps (execute range) because he won't have all his stacks till the final phase.

  7. #7
    If you are sub on elegon use current combo points for Crimson Tempest, you can hit elegon and maybe 2 adds, then the add you switching to has the sang veins and is ready to burst.

  8. #8
    My 10-man kill last night was with Combat. 4 sets of orbs per Phase 2, soloing a pillar with an Adrenaline Rush / Shadow Blades macro, and Killing Spree as an "Oh shit the orb" button and boss damage.

    The way that flowed allowed for AR/SB to be used 5 times during the fight: Right at the start w/ pre-pot, on first Phase 3 pillar, middle of second Phase 1 (with second potion), on second Phase 3 pillar, and right at the end as soon as it came off-CD.
    Reason for using AR/SB as a burst CD on a pillar is for the raid's benefit over my own boss DPS as well. I will say, however, that if other people have the burst to do that instead then it will benefit your DPS greatly.

    I picked Combat after doing a night of Assassination because the adds after Phase 3 can be unpredictable with uncontrolled AoE like Fan of Knives, especially during progression. Furthermore, the cooldowns line up in a similar way as Subtlety's would for burst damage.

    This fight isn't one that allows Subtlety to excel as well as it does on Gara'jal and Spirit Kings. Combat doesn't have as strong single-target potential as Subtlety, but beats it in cleave/AoE and is equal in boss-mechanic-timed burst DPS (if you're soloing a pillar).

    link to kill log
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    Rogue - Warlock

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    I do think assassination is probably the best though and like you said if you keep rupture on Elegon for the energy and pool before the sparks spawn it isn't too bad. Combat would probably have better cooldowns for that, however you would need to be extremely careful with KS as using it too early can teleport you to another lanes add (which likely means phase over as by the time KS is over and you run back to yours it will probably have hit) but if you wait too long to hit it, you won't be able to make use out of the full 3.5 seconds. Then as mentioned, early fight boss dps overall doesn't matter as much as late fight boss dps (execute range) because he won't have all his stacks till the final phase.
    I can't agree on this one. But then my experience is only 10-man so it might be slightly different.

    Killing Spree on sparks works very nicely. I often used as an emergency cooldown before I got it right with pooling and Redirect and not a single time failed by jumping to the boss or another spark. You just have to delay the cast a bit, there is still plenty of time before the spark actually reaches it's pillar (I am talking about 4-6th spawn here). Sometimes I found myself still in the KS state while the spark was already dead but that could be solved by /cancelaura macro.

    I also don't see how is execute phase DPS something that important. In fact, I have entirely opposite experience - once we actually got to execute, it was a free kill. We had the boss at around 30% HP by that time and he dropped like a fly with plenty of time left on enrage. The hardest part was to get thru both cycles of P1-P3 with perfect execution and enough stacks on the boss.

    But as I said, this is 10-man normal. Things might change a lot on heroic and/or fight might be tuned differently for 25-man.

  10. #10
    Killed him as combat on 25 man yesterday. Tried assassination first, but I found myself sometimes energy starved on Energy Charges due to lack of venomous wounds procs. If I had energy and dispatch procs it was awesome, but sometimes it didn't really work. Oh, and enrage wasn't a joke for us. We had to get at least 5 waves down each time or it was no chance, good execute could help with it for sure, but killing Energy Charges reliably was a priority.

  11. #11
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    763
    Personally I went as combat since I got the fistweapon off of Gara'lai, so combat feels like a nobrainer to me due to the extra damage an epic MH brains over a 463 MH dagger.
    I found that combat was pretty decent for sparks either way since you can keep bandit's guile up for the new sparks (since it's a buff on the rogue instead of a debuff on targets or so now), so we're not really that bound to a target anymore as combat. And on the last wave we killed I popped AR & SB to burn it down quickly, then jump on the boss asap doing as much damage as I can before having to run off the middle when the floor disappears.
    Also we were not going for super high stacks on Elegon, we went with 5 - 4 stacks (killing 4 sparks then boss first time around, then killing 3 sparks then dps boss the second time around), so having the highest possible burst for sparks seemed kind of pointless when it wasn't needed.

    This is on 25 man, so can't speak for how it works in 10.

  12. #12
    Killed it as Sub last night.

    Damage is nice as Sub. I think overall damage is about the same as Assassination. Assassination is a bit higher by the end because of high execute damage. However, without any doubt Sub's damage is higher on the sparks. I was getting the highest burst by pooling points on the boss through Anticipation, targetting the spark, CT, then Eviscerate, then use Hemo due to lower energy cost to do another. You can also Vanish-Ambush on later sparks, or even Shadow Dance.

    Also, Sub with SD, Vanish (x2 if you spec Prep although I love SS too much on this fight) plus maybe Nelf racial, means high FW time and so Sub damage is nice here too. I think whether you play Sub or Assassination depends where you need your damage, and it will be same on heroic - I do not know yet how many sparks you will need to kill on heroic to beat the enrage.
    Last edited by jtstormrage; 2012-10-09 at 02:12 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Fae View Post
    I can't agree on this one. But then my experience is only 10-man so it might be slightly different.
    How many energy charges spawn and what is their hp on 10m?

  14. #14
    6 sparks (one for each DPSer), .5M HP each.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Fae View Post
    6 sparks (one for each DPSer), .5M HP each.
    Ok, that sounds pretty equivalent, you convinced me to give combat a shot this week.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •