State of PvP Affairs in Storm Legion

So many articles on this aspect have been springing up on the official forums; Rift Junkies too has put up a new article discussing the same.

Much as I enjoy Casual PvP in Rift (Conquest is one of the best feature in any MMO from my perspective); I do think we as a community can give constructive feedback on what we would like to see going forward.

I have 2 cents I'd like to chip in and discuss going forward:

1. Revamp the Prestige system; it will be quite daunting for new joiners in SL to obtain the current 50 ranks and whatever additional ranks are implemented post level 50.

2. Eliminate the minimal PvE aspects already found in existing battlegrounds (such as Conquest); PvP players hate them because they detract from actual PvP

3. Better reward for more time invested in PvP. (?) would love to flesh this out more, but conflicting opinions will vary. I love the PvP costumes, but I think giving more such leet rewards would make any grind worthwhile and encourage causal PvEers to participate more in PvP events.

4. Innovation is more needed in this field, and I think Trion should not be afraid to try new things. Storm Legion really appeals to PvE'rs and there is no harm in experimenting to set a niche that isn't found in other MMO's. We can think out of the box here, I for one would love to see zone events like the gates of AQ but with a PvP twist

5. With a mercenary system in place, and given the mass appeal of PvE, there is no harm in potentially introducing a feature that involves a single chamber, with an OP raid boss, (something akin to the Archlich in conquest) but with an added twist like the wave boss in Drowned Halls. I would love to be able to go in there, deal with a boss with interesting mechanics, and manage heals or dps in a gankfest environment. needless to say, there would be no proper "win criteria" unless we use a last man standing when boss goes down approach or a kill count. (or whichever side does more damage to boss maybe?)

any additional comments and feedback would be interesting to read; lets help Elrar with some ideas :P
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Deleted
    How does it look in beta, are there increased ranks or a rank reset?
    Because the gear grind is too big to ever have a working pvp in this game.
    Now, they didnt want normalization... fine. However, do it like wow for example, it's so fast catching up on new gear. At least it was a year ago, guess things probably would have changed to easier rather than harder =) A couple of weeks of battlegrounds was all it took, anyone can do it... casual or hardcore. And the difference between ranked gear and best gear you can get without arena/rbg rank isnt that big. It's doable, and that's the most important part.

Keeping old ranks and just add new is the silliest thing they can do in SL. First of all the old ranks is for lvl50 gear and who will want that on lvl 60? I dont know how high the gear gap between the 10 levels is on beta? That should give you an overall picture anyway.

Pvp servers are dying, give people a reason to go there instead of pve servers. Now that 2 factions seems to soon become 1, have areas where you can kill eachother, no matter what faction. Perhaps an arena to fight over some rarely spawned chests with great things in. Or try another conquest, but do it right. They know what didnt work in the current one, then just improve it to next one. I would say go for a similar wintergrasp kind of style where the winning team gets to kill a boss that drops loot that can be both pvp and pve.

And ofc add more warfronts, the old ones are still old.

However, I think pvp in Rift is never to be saved :P Gave up my hopes after conquest, how they treated pvp community back then, normalization skipped, an expansion soon to be released and not a word about pvp... not even a new warfront :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post

However, I think pvp in Rift is never to be saved :P Gave up my hopes after conquest, how they treated pvp community back then, normalization skipped, an expansion soon to be released and not a word about pvp... not even a new warfront :P

We can't talk much about it due to the NDA but as it stands it looks nothing has been said about PvP that I'm aware of. To sum it up a big middle finger to PvP so far.

PS: I like conquest more then WvWvW \o/ (I can use mounts...lolz)

1. NDA
    2. I take it you never played Alterac Valley. It is called goal orientated pvp. I do "x" and I get "x". If you did not have that you would just get giant zergs of pointlessness.
    3. No idea here..maybe copy something from GW2 or WoW I guess
    4. They did have pvp zone events and they failed miserably. You need perfect 50/50% server balance or it fails. Open world pvp is a failed concept. Notice how GW2 just scrapped the concept completely.
    5. Aion did this and it sucked nuts. The offense CONSTANTLY had the advantage pve mechanics + pvp = offense won 90% of the time. it did make you think how to play defense and also allocate enough people to down the boss, but it goes back to 50/50 server balance

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    1. NDA
    2. I take it you never played Alterac Valley. It is called goal orientated pvp. I do "x" and I get "x". If you did not have that you would just get giant zergs of pointlessness.
    3. No idea here..maybe copy something from GW2 or WoW I guess
    4. They did have pvp zone events and they failed miserably. You need perfect 50/50% server balance or it fails. Open world pvp is a failed concept. Notice how GW2 just scrapped the concept completely.
    5. Aion did this and it sucked nuts. The offense CONSTANTLY had the advantage pve mechanics + pvp = offense won 90% of the time. it did make you think how to play defense and also allocate enough people to down the boss, but it goes back to 50/50 server balance
    lol you noob, the idea wasn't to critique my ideas, but to put forward some constructive ones!!!
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Deleted
    nothing new about pvp at SL!
    Hope at next beta event have sth new that we can test

I think normalization was a good idea. A shame they didn't keep going that route.

I personally think that PVP should always be a level playing field with cosmetic gear, titles, pets, and rank as the main reward.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -