Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    So the number of high school graduates can plummet? Soon high school will only be for those that already come from means, much like college education has returned to.
    You don't... get how school vouchers work, do you?

Schools basically have to compete for students or lose their funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I would round up all the boys and dump them on jungle island. At age 12, I'd round them all up and have a giant battle royale. The survivors would then be given the best military training, medical, chemical, and biological enhancement money can buy. At age 18, they would be organized into legions and set loose on the globe.

The girls could be nuns or something. I dunno.
    Would certainly help combat obesity in kids.

The fat kids have to narfle the Garthog.

Elminate public schools, let states handle it themselves. If thats not politically viable, a voucher system so the money goes with the kids instead of to the schools, so that private schools can basically put that money to better use.

School is an interesting industry--- we have a surplus of teachers but too many students per teacher. Obviously, we need to make better use of the teachers we have.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would round up all the boys and dump them on jungle island. At age 12, I'd round them all up and have a giant battle royale. The survivors would then be given the best military training, medical, chemical, and biological enhancement money can buy. At age 18, they would be organized into legions and set loose on the globe.

The girls could be nuns or something. I dunno.
    So basically Battle Royale?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    School vouchers have shown no significant empirical improvement in education. Choosing schools is not the answer.

Every school should be doing well, rather than overloading one school and bringing it down because they don't have the resources.

Losing schools would just wreck local communities.

Competition doesn't always work. Look at the American healthcare system - on average the worst in the First World.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    So basically Battle Royale?
    Sort of...

When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Sort of...

Maybe in another 37,000 years or so

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    One problem with a voucher system is that you still need to somehow get your kid to it. If you're in an affluent area and there's good schools it's probably not difficult. If however you live in a trashcan neighborhood and make shit for a living, it's likely the schools in your area are also pretty much shit and it might be prohibitively expensive to send your kid to a better one, even if it's your decision.

Not arguing against, just playing devil's advocate.
    School buses would solve that problem.
    It's not really that big of a deal, my cousin went to handicapped school, and it was about half hour drive by car (more by bus), which is plenty to get out of bad area into a good one.
    If vouchers also cover transportation, that's the solution to getting to better schools.

I'm a democrat, and I would support a voucher program.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    School buses would solve that problem.
    It's not really that big of a deal, my cousin went to handicapped school, and it was about half hour drive by car (more by bus), which is plenty to get out of bad area into a good one.
    If vouchers also cover transportation, that's the solution to getting to better schools.

I'm a democrat, and I would support a voucher program.
    So basically you support a system that has been empirically shown to not work at all but want to increase costs drastically by ensuring school buses would have to collect students from ridiculously far flung places?

Brilliant.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.

Also since it hasn't been suggested yet, less stupid kids would probably help in general.

Deleted
    Just give the teachers more rights, so that they have more authority and maybe students start to respect people again.....

Also make the classes / lessons more interesting, like chemistry and Physics class ( many teachers just talk thru classes instead of showing stuff )

One problem with a voucher system is that you still need to somehow get your kid to it. If you're in an affluent area and there's good schools it's probably not difficult. If however you live in a trashcan neighborhood and make shit for a living, it's likely the schools in your area are also pretty much shit and it might be prohibitively expensive to send your kid to a better one, even if it's your decision.

Not arguing against, just playing devil's advocate.
    That's not necessarily the case. Say you were in Camden. Instead of sending your kids to the nearest public school in your busing zone you could send your kids to the BEST school in your busing zone. Such schools would automatically receive more funding for things like teachers, equipment and expansion.

It would also be nice if we got rid of teachers' unions that provided lavish benefits for no reason at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    That's not necessarily the case. Say you were in Camden. Instead of sending your kids to the nearest public school in your busing zone you could send your kids to the BEST school in your busing zone. Such schools would automatically receive more funding for things like teachers, equipment and expansion.

It would also be nice if we got rid of teachers' unions that provided lavish benefits for no reason at all.
    Yeah but then what about the shit schools in that same area? Obviously School of Awesome can't accommodate all the children in that busing zone, so School of Shitheads becomes the alternative. I dunno, I'm leaning towards this being a "below the border" thread as I don't recall there being much of an issue here in Canada.

10+ Year Old Account

Or because teachers deserve it.

Just because you don't understand how hard it is doesn't mean there's no reason.

Yeah but then what about the shit schools in that same area? Obviously School of Awesome can't accommodate all the children in that busing zone, so School of Shitheads becomes the alternative. I dunno, I'm leaning towards this being a "below the border" thread as I don't recall there being much of an issue here in Canada.
    They close down and parents move their kids to another school

Whose nation? I have no idea where to begin with the American system. But with the Danish system i think less students per classroom would be a good start

They close down and parents move their kids to another school
    There's always going to be a "shitty" school though, no? The one where the parents can't afford it, or it's full, or their child doesn't meet the requirements, or it has a bad population in general (gangs/bullshit) etc. I don't see a solution to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Or because teachers deserve it.

Just because you don't understand how hard it is doesn't mean there's no reason.
    They work 180 days a year. Everyone else works about 230-240. In exchange they get median salary, fully paid pensions and health benefits (They pay nothing) as well as guaranteed raises. So to recap, they get compensated more for working less than just about any job in the private sector. These benefits aren't performance based. They just get them.

Then they have the nerve to claim they NEED the benefits for the good of the students... while they're on strike.

I have no sympathy for teachers.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 08:43 PM ----------

There's always going to be a "shitty" school though, no? The one where the parents can't afford it, or it's full, or their child doesn't meet the requirements, or it has a bad population in general (gangs/bullshit) etc. I don't see a solution to that.
    ... You could say the same about anything. Look at the Olympics. They're the best athletes in the world, but there's always going to be those shitty athletes that are the "worst" at the Olympics.

Just because the shittiest schools all of a sudden close down doesn't mean the "new worst" school won't be infinitely better than the previous worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the major issues is that our school calendar is still based off an agrarian society. This is no longer necessary in many parts of the country. I would advocate more time in school over summer and spreading any remaining of the break time over the course of the year. Losing what you learned in the previous year is an issue with the long summer break.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    One of the major issues is that our school calendar is still based off an agrarian society. This is no longer necessary in many parts of the country. I would advocate more time in school over summer and spreading any remaining of the break time over the course of the year. Losing what you learned in the previous year is an issue with the long summer break.
    This is also true. If you did away with Summer breaks and, instead, gave kids 2 weeks of school followed by a week off, they would forget MUCH less over those breaks and be better equipped for advancement.