10+ Year Old Account

So, wanna be a raid tank..

I love playing my protection warrior and I'm a pretty good tank in 5-mans. I always research on tactics to make sure I know what to do. Would love to tank in raids aswell, but I'm abit nervous about it because people are always complete assholes towards tanks who don't perform perfectly (in contrast to themselves who ofcourse are always invaluable with their mediocre dps). I wanna be 100% sure on all tactics before I start raid tanking. Anyone know any good sites where I can learn to be a good raid tank?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately there isn't a website that won't just give you the ability. Many sites will tell you the base to do so, but the rest is up to you. I was once in a similar position to you, I found I overcame it simply through experience, off-tanking or being the second tank where the role is 'easier' or you have less to do is the best way to gain the experience without as much pressure.

If you are running with anybody that is a complete asshole to anybody in the game for any reason you might want to find a different group. Tanking in LFR is a great way to leap into things and see what you think. Now it will open you up to a few random idiots but you will see the fights even if it is a watered down version of them. The biggest change between dungeon tanking and raid tanking will be focusing on using cd to keep yourself and others alive and grabbing threat on adds much faster. Beyond that tanking is more or less the same no matter what you are doing. Then again you never run into something like no buff heroic spine in a dungeon.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres a dude named TSW on youtube that plays a protection warrior and he uploads tactic videos. He did a guide on Mogu'shan Vaults apparently. Gonna watch it..

Quote Originally Posted by CapM View Post
    Theres a dude named TSW on youtube that plays a protection warrior and he uploads tactic videos. He did a guide on Mogu'shan Vaults apparently. Gonna watch it..
    Those are some decent vids, I haven't browsed all of them yet so I'm not sure how complete the Vaults guides are (only glanced and saw one boss). FatBossGuides on youtube has some pretty good guides as well, might want to check them out.

http://ciderhelm.com/ has a pretty solid general tanking guide for multiple games, but Ciderhelm originally was writing great guides for WoW back in Vanilla/BC. Items, bosses, and whatnot are outdated, but the principles of movement and leadership are still valid. Worth a read if you have time.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I went MS Prot in DS, I read up on the Prot guide on MMOC, and the Prot thread in the warrior forum on the WoW site. They aren't overly boss specific as in when to pop what on which boss, but they are great for teaching the basics. Your job then becomes to analyze the mechanics of each fight and figure out when to pop what.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    The biggest change between dungeon tanking and raid tanking will be focusing on using cd to keep yourself and others alive and grabbing threat on adds much faster.
    This is definitely true in general and true of MSV in particular. The bosses in, normal anyway, hit quite hard, for the most part, and require pretty liberal CD usage on the part of the tanks. I'm sure they won't be as strong in LFR but I'd reckon they will still take a chunk out of you with each swing. Practice makes perfect on those fights. You just learn over successive pulls when to pop what. When do you want shield block up? When do you want barrier? What's a good time to shield wall, etc.
    Aelmagus
    <Delusions of Grandeur>
    [H] Runetotem - US

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Oh, PVP twinks. I thought this was about Anduin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I am so triggered right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    1 dps'er dies, who cares?
    1 healer dies, not good. Makes it harder on the other healers.
    1 tank dies, its a wipe.

Alot of pressure!

10+ Year Old Account
    Start using cooldowns on 5mans all the time and you eventually be ready for raids.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by CapM View Post
    1 dps'er dies, who cares?
    1 healer dies, not good. Makes it harder on the other healers.
    1 tank dies, its a wipe.

Alot of pressure!
    This stereotype was only really true in the original game where the early raiding was not really tuned with any real difficulty, and the problem was more the logistics of keeping 40 people connected and participating.

With the tight enrage timers of the modern game, a dps dying is a wipe on any serious progression content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Start using cooldowns on 5mans all the time and you eventually be ready for raids.
    I'm using all cooldowns on every boss in 5-mans. Avatar, Shield Wall, Demoralizing Shout every minute and Last Stand if nessesary. And I Shield Barrier when I have 40-60 rage.
    Last edited by CptEgo; 2012-10-09 at 08:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont mean only on bosses, i mean on trash aswell, reduce incoming damage as much as you can and you get the feeling of how to use them to smooth damage during raids.
    Sometimes all the raid is taking damage, so you have to pop a cooldown so healers have time to get everybody up and dont get scared about you going down.
    And sometimes the bosses will just cast something nasty and you have to be confident that using a cooldown there wont be needed later.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

Using all cds often with any toons you are trying to get to raiding lvl with is a good idea. When I first started playing I would see ppl using all their cds on trash and think they were jack asses, now I do it if I haven't played that toon or spec in awhile to make sure out of habit on bosses I don't forget things or keybindings.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    i'd start with tanking LFR, try to research LFR mechanics first so you know them, it should be pretty easy, you'll get a feel for tactics and bigger scale tanking, then join a friendly raiding guild, nothing too hardcore etc, then get into some normal raids with them, they should appreciate you don't know the fights properly (especially this early into a new expansion/tier) and give you a bit of leeway while you learn the fights.

there are friendly people out there, i'm often surprised by it myself, just before MoP i got my lock to 85, people were LFR to BH, i /w asking if they wanted a green geared lock who'd never been there before as dps, a few people just kinda go "hehe nah your ok" but the second person replied with: "hmmm yeh sure its late and there's not many people on and there's not long until TB resets, shit dps is better than no dps!"

we went, we saw we conquered, and at the end of the fight i was the only person left alive and due to other dpsers deaths (noob tank didnt know what he was doing and died straight away) i ended up 3rd on dps =p

I doubt you'll learn much from LFR, half the bosses are missing key abilities. For instance the first boss in MSV you can ignore the main aspect of tanking it which is separating one and taunt switching. One tank can handle all 3 and never have to move. Not to mention, people are pricks in randoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Using all cds often with any toons you are trying to get to raiding lvl with is a good idea. When I first started playing I would see ppl using all their cds on trash and think they were jack asses, now I do it if I haven't played that toon or spec in awhile to make sure out of habit on bosses I don't forget things or keybindings.
    Yep, i use shield wall every pack that has 4 or more mobs, and i hear people bitching all the time that im "a bad tank for using cooldowns on easy trash". But i dont use it because i need it, i use it because it will be up again in 2 minutes and i most likely wont need to use it at all during the entire dungeon, and specially, because i can.
    Just ignore and move on.

we went, we saw we conquered, and at the end of the fight i was the only person left alive and due to other dpsers deaths (noob tank didnt know what he was doing and died straight away) i ended up 3rd on dps =p
    The good old, "dead dps does no dps". :P

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Yep, i use shield wall every pack that has 4 or more mobs, and i hear people bitching all the time that im "a bad tank for using cooldowns on easy trash". But i dont use it because i need it, i use it because it will be up again in 2 minutes and i most likely wont need to use it at all during the entire dungeon, and specially, because i can.
    Just ignore and move on.
    Same happens here, except being a Blood DK the healers get either pissy because they're bored or extremely happy/amazed when I don't die (accidentally (auto run ftw) pulled Harlan in SH and then proceeded to solo it, healer wouldn't shut up about it >.>).

Just use your CDs whenever you feel you need them in 5mans, generally use them so I don't take damage rather than to save my life.