Holy & Ret professions

So now we're a week into raiding. I'm still Alchy/Herb, and my co-pally is JC/BS. With the spirit gems being 320, and the JC gems being more than that, he's got a truckload more regen than I do.

Since my alt is a miner I was thinking of going and grabbing all the mats to level up both JC and BS on my pally. It would also help with my Ret and Prot offspecs as well afaik. I'd then swap my alt's JC to herbalism, keep mining, and relegate him to a gatherer.

After 5 years of Paladin'ing, I don't see myself swapping away from one being my main.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Last edited by JonBoy2001; 2012-10-09 at 08:24 PM. Reason: It was a necro reply, but not anymore.
    Moo.

Speaking strictly for Ret, JC is shaping up rather poorly considering the manner in which the JC gems are budgeted for secondary stats and Ret's newfound reliance on haste. Blacksmithing, though, has been, and will likely always be, pretty awesome; I mean, who doesn't love extra sockets? However, as you're MS Holy, JC should be good as no other profession can get you the extra spirit you need for regen.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    I moved your post to a new thread. Even if you start a thread, please don't necro posts (especially during beta periods, because information is incredibly volatile at that point).
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    Speaking strictly for Ret, JC is shaping up rather poorly considering the manner in which the JC gems are budgeted for secondary stats and Ret's newfound reliance on haste. Blacksmithing, though, has been, and will likely always be, pretty awesome; I mean, who doesn't love extra sockets? However, as you're MS Holy, JC should be good as no other profession can get you the extra spirit you need for regen.
    Well, I doubt I'll be filling in as Ret on our progression raids any time soon, so that's a minor loss I'm willing to deal with.

Out of curiosity, I just found that Mixology gives +480 spirit to the flask, so BS beats that alone with two 320 spirit gems.

BS would also let me craft gear for 'free' too. I think this is pretty much a no brainer decision now.

(Sorry 'bout the necro, thought that's what I should do)
    Moo.

...Wait, how're you crafting gear for free? Or are you simply meaning you get to cut out paying someone else to use their Spirits of Harmony? 'Cause if I missed some free gear-crafting somewhere, I need to get on and tend to it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    ...Wait, how're you crafting gear for free? Or are you simply meaning you get to cut out paying someone else to use their Spirits of Harmony? 'Cause if I missed some free gear-crafting somewhere, I need to get on and tend to it ASAP.
    If I use my own mats, it's 'free' <-- notice the quotes
    Moo.

That's what I was figuring, but I wanted to be sure; between the new gem cuts being learned at random and you getting free gems out of it, and inscription research still giving random glyphs, wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something important from my blacksmithing trainer.

So I just found out JC only lets you have 2 special gems, making BS and Alchy the clear winner for most spirit.

I spent 13 hours gathering mats for BS and JC before someone in guild said this and I researched it. /wrist
    Moo.

10+ Year Old Account
    JC still gives the same amount of stats with the two special gems as other professions. The only reason not to go for JC is if you value secondary stats more than you value primary stats because the JC gems provide a 1:1 trade between the two.

Personally, I've always favored Blacksmithing for the extra sockets, and the ability to craft some extra armor. Mining to go hand-in-hand with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerfax View Post
    JC still gives the same amount of stats with the two special gems as other professions. The only reason not to go for JC is if you value secondary stats more than you value primary stats because the JC gems provide a 1:1 trade between the two.
    That's the thing, if I do JC, I get a net bonus of 320 spirit from the extra two gems. If I keep alchemy, I get 480.
    Moo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JonBoy2001 View Post
    That's the thing, if I do JC, I get a net bonus of 320 spirit from the extra two gems. If I keep alchemy, I get 480.
    What's the Int Bonus from Alchemy?

320 int bonus from alch.

So what about JC and Enchanting that's what I have currently. Is it worth it or is getting BS better than JC right now?

I guess that depends on the stats you're gaining from JC and Enchanting, and what stats your class/spec desires. I know nothing about enchanting off the top of my head, and barely enough about JC to get by.
    Moo.

Deleted
    I'm going with tailoring and engeneering:

+4000ap
    +1920 strength

+ 6358 strength on use trinket
    + 3027 strength procc trinket
    + Holy Wrath
    + Holy Avenger
    + Guardian of Ancient Kings

= my daily arena burst