Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    The government got nothing to do with individual schools.
    Per the story, the municipal school board told her to change the menu. That sounds like government to me.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    What is the deal with Sweden? Why the fixation of government enforced fairness?
    It's never been the government that has enforced fairness, it's always been different municipalities that have been enforcing that stuff. For example, in the municipality where I live (Lund) we don't care much about equality - even black people that live here don't care much if you say the n-word just for fun. Lund is all career. On the other hand, in the neighbour municipality Malmö political correctness is rampant and even some local newspapers are trying to make immigrants and women look way better than the evil white men. It's silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Guess our lunches now also has to follow the idea that good performance is bad, and that focus should be on the average.

Our schools focus on the morons who can't differentiate between plus and minus, and forgets about those who excel.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Per the story, the municipal school board told her to change the menu. That sounds like government to me.
    Are we making sweeping claims about a government based on municipal school boards? Because if we are I can bring up Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Hey at least they get to eat lunch.
    For now. Quite a few Soviet citizens saw few lunches, as many North Koreans and some Chinese still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    For now. Quite a few Soviet citizens saw few lunches, as many North Koreans and some Chinese still do.
    All of the eye rolls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Are we making sweeping claims about a government based on municipal school boards? Because if we are I can bring up Texas.
    I guess you're going to have to explain to me how a municipal organization is not an organ of government.

Every municipal is different though. It's like US states, the government, or the state don't handle this stuff. It can be totally different political parties in power in different municipals/districts with totally different ideas and also different ideas on how the municipal taxes should be used(those taxes fund local education).

So it's not really something that is decided in Stockholm. It's local.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I guess you're going to have to explain to me how a municipal organization is not an organ of government.
    Of course it is. That doesn't make it any less ridiculous to make sweeping generalizations based on it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Guess our lunches now also has to follow the idea that good performance is bad, and that focus should be on the average.

Our schools focus on the morons who can't differentiate between plus and minus, and forgets about those who excel.
    Oh, and this. I remember our programming teacher told our class to either choose between C++ and Python. The guys who wanted to become programmers chose C++, whereas the ones that only wanted an easy grade picked Python. It was literally 50/50 in our class, so our teacher decided to teach us Python, even though the only programming language we had used before was C#, just because the morons in the class had to get it easier in school.

Not to mention that our good teachers left because they simply found better paying jobs which required less extreme abuse from pupils, homework etc., so we're stuck with teachers that don't even have a teaching degree. Sweden simply doesn't care for it's students.

Deleted
    I live near the city where this takes place. From what I understand, the local politicians signed a set of standards a while ago. In those standards, it says that food prepared in each of the schools in the city should be of equal quality.
    On paper, this sounds good. But it didn't work out that way. I guess they didn't plan on a school chef actually caring about the kids and her job enough to make good food.

Edit: the reason for this is NOT budget related. The food she made was within the budget. Leftover shrimps and chicken at the vegetable table together with cheap vegetables so there were no waste. And kids who didn't like the food on the menu could mix together their own sallad with shrimps, chicken and whatelse.

The reason is just that the food was better than the other school's.
    Last edited by mmocf31d21a5de; 2012-10-09 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treedill View Post
    That's just crazy, if anything, they should push for more schools to follow her example.
    Which is cheaper and easier to do though? See now you can think like a government official/politician too!

10+ Year Old Account
    Gentlemen! I'm using government in the sense of administrative body that makes policy, not national government.

Gentlemen! I'm using government in the sense of administrative body that makes policy, not national government.
    What is the deal with Sweden? Why the fixation of government enforced fairness?
    Sounds like a sweeping generalization to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Think of the money and time required to do that though. Budgets are important. Apparently more important that a high quality lunch.

Also, this one Lunch Lady is responsible for the high quality meals... Just because the schools implement her meal plan, it doesn't mean that it will taste the same from chef to chef... thus, the schools have to go out and find chefs that can match her quality. That, to me, is a logistical nightmare. It's much easier to do it the way the schools are currently doing it. Sure, it's unfortunate for the kids at her school, but this could mean better after school programs, better teaching and what not.

Which would you rather have. All of the kids having a super tasty lunch, or all of the kids have better access to teaching resources. I know what I would pick... and surprising (as a fat man) it's not the food.
    As they pointed out, her style didn't affect the budget at all. Just a little more work. I realize it may not be the same for everyone...but...wow.

I'd pick both, mainly because I don't think the cost of school lunches has even close to enough impact to affect the quality of education.

Well depending on pay structure more work could have cost the school more.

whats cheaper and easier? Let her do what she wants, and dont make a big deal out of it.

There that was easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Which would you rather have. All of the kids having a super tasty lunch, or all of the kids have better access to teaching resources. I know what I would pick... and surprising (as a fat man) it's not the food.
    I would choose the better lunch tbh. If you don´t eat the food you´ll just get tired and grumpy, which often leads to less concentration. That said, finding a balance between the two is often the key to a good school/learning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Sounds like a sweeping generalization to me.
    Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I haven't exactly done an exhaustive study of fairness policies across the EU. But, we certainly do see a lot of these kinds of stories coming out of Sweden.

Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing.