Thread: Combat concerns

Combat concerns

Ok, so I know rogues in general have been lamenting their seemingly decreased DPS. My own performance is especially bad with me almost always hanging off the bottom of the DPS meters with an absolute maximum of 40k with 460 ilevel gear in 5 man heroics often being outdone by the tank. I'm just looking to confirm a few details about the combat scene because I feel like I'm doing something very wrong somewhere but I can't think where. If you see something out of place below just let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Poisons: Deadly and Leeching.

Reforging: Crit to expertise until 7.5% then crit to hit until 7.5% then crit to haste (if not available then mastery instead).

Weapons: Two 2.6 speed weapons.

Rotation: If single target then start with 3 point SnD then refresh with the highest amount of points I can manage whenever it falls below 5 seconds, SS until 4 points then RS and rupture, SS until 5 points then evis. When RS needs to be refreshed one will be thrown in among the SS spamming prior to a rupture or evis. I have shadow blades and AR macro'd together so I'll use that whenever its off cooldown. Killing spree I will attempt to use when I am medium/high insight but it depends on the situation.

If 2 targets activate blade flurry and use FoK as a combo point builder. Use same finishers as single target.

If more than 2 targets use same rotation except keep crimson tempest up on all targets.

This seems to be what all the big name rogue guides are advising but with me struggling to justify my group spot when a mage or death knight or whatever could easily step in and do double my DPS I feel like I'd better make sure I'm not horribly failing at something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never use FoF if targets are less than 5. Do not delay KS for more than 10 secs or so (for insight or a trinket).

For opening I usually do free tricks and free ambush, then SnD, RvS, dump as much energy as I can, then trinkets+racial+KS. As soon as I finish, recast Snd and AR+SB and start the mindless spam of SS and Evis (and RvS as needed).
    My Rogue

Veni, vidi, vici.

I like MoP now c:

Deleted
    Not sure if it is your case, but some people seem to not realize that they should not blindly follow raid guides when dealing with 5-man dungeons.

If you want to optimize your gear for heroics, 7.5% exp/hit is actually not needed, targets are lower level there. Also, you'll be using Blade Flurry pretty much all the time so forget about Rupture. And finally, unless it's a really big big pack of mobs, don't touch FoK or CT - just Blade Flurry all the way (it works particularly well when tied together Killing Spree/AR+SB).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fae View Post
    If you want to optimize your gear for heroics, 7.5% exp/hit is actually not needed, targets are lower level there. Also, you'll be using Blade Flurry pretty much all the time so forget about Rupture. And finally, unless it's a really big big pack of mobs, don't touch FoK or CT - just Blade Flurry all the way (it works particularly well when tied together Killing Spree/AR+SB).
    Pretty much this. But if there are 4+ mobs 2-3 FoKs can improve your damage, to spread your deadly poison. Depends on how long they live, how much energy you got, in which insight level you are... etc.

Also Killing Spree is a -major- dps cooldown now. You should use it everytime you can, but with thought. Meaning, when the fight begins you should wait for low insight before KF, and when you got enough energy and no anticpation charges, always do some SS/RS before using KS, even when it's off CD. This way you get into a deeper insight most of the times and can use KS as energy regeneration too. Never use it during AR, except if its available in approx the first half of the AR time. During AR+SB you gain a huge amount of finishers and thus CD reduction through RB.

Also your reforge rules are a bit awkward. Its just haste>mastery>crit while maintaining crit & exp caps. Haste is especially worthwile. While in 463 gear you should have 4-5k or more. Always go for gear with haste, you can reforge the hit&exp easily enough.
    Last edited by mmoc420d930b3c; 2012-10-09 at 09:39 PM.

One more thing, if stuff diess too fast and you can't get into proper insights your dps will be naturally lover than other burstier or even "even" damage classes.