Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Why are there race/class restrictions?

For as long as I've played the game I've always wondered what is the point of the class restrictions by race?

I understand lore being one of the issues, but can't they give some little back story to explain away why a particular race can be any one of the classes?

PS- Only asking because of limitations on available shaman races for alliance and available paladin races for horde.

It's an issue of aesthetics. Aesthetics are easy to dismiss if you don't appreciate them. But if you really want to know, these ideas come from classic table top role playing games, it makes choices matter, it makes replaying different scenarios more interesting when you choose something else, and it's got to do with lore, which is more than just made up information, it's atmosphere. And atmosphere is very important in gaming if you're wanting to do something more than play chess or tetris. It promotes the sense you have of creating your own alter ego or fantasy identity when you're doing it with other people at the same time who are also creating their own imaginary identities.

Choices need to feel like they matter to you, and you need to feel like you have choices.

Why have classes at all? Why not let us all have all the same abilities together?
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Because Blizzard doesn't want to stretch the lore too thin. That, and do you honestly want Orc Paladins or Forsaken Druids running around?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

And regarding your specific examples, originally the shaman were a Horde only class and paladins were Alliance only class. Rather than just "one day everyone woke up and decided to be ___" they want to introduce new class/race combos with lore and story behind it.

Personally, I feel like they're already sliding a little too far. When everyone is identical, things get boring. Races have lost a lot of their unique flavor already.

It's a role playing game. The lore has to make some kind of sense, or it breaks your suspension of disbelief too much. I actually think they've stretched the race/class combo rules too far already. If Pandaren Death Knights or something started walking around everywhere, it would just be ridiculous.

Deleted
    Because of the Lore. but Blizard has butchered that quite a bit already.
    I still can't believe that there are Tauren Paladins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Because Blizzard doesn't want to stretch the lore too thin. That, and do you honestly want Orc Paladins or Forsaken Druids running around?
    When there are Night Elf mages, then I'm pretty sure the lore has already been stretched and worn down past the point of no return.

Truthfully, Blizzard is probably just saving the remaining non-playable class/race combs as a new feature for future expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pud'n View Post
    When there are Night Elf mages, then I'm pretty sure the lore has already been stretched and worn down past the point of no return.

Truthfully, Blizzard is probably just saving the remaining non-playable class/race combs as a new feature for future expansions.
    Highbourn. Next.

Deleted
    Highbourn. Next.
    You know that the Highborne were banished after the sundering NEVER TO RETURN right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Highbourn. Next.
    Because the Night Elves have such a vivid history of liking the Highborne.

Deleted
    The only REASONABLE class/race restriction is Spacegoat Warlock, because this are their arch enemies and the whole race follows the Naaru (beings of pure light).

BUT, Spacegoat Warlocks exist... as Eredar.

Quote Originally Posted by holz View Post
    You know that the Highborne were banished after the sundering NEVER TO RETURN right?
    Because the Night Elves have such a vivid history of liking the Highborne.
    The world was just shattered. The Night Elves would have been fools to not allow the highbourn back in.

Because, and while it isn't so much anymore, it was a role playing game in some form when it was released. Lore was (and still is kinda) important. It would make little sense for a forsaken to become a paladin or an orc druid.

Deleted
    The world was just shattered. The Night Elves would have been fools to not allow the highbourn back in.
    You're absolutely right.

"Hey the world just almost got destroyed, remember the last time this happened? It was the Highborne's fault, we should totally allow them back now."

You're absolutely right.

"Hey the world just almost got destroyed, remember the last time this happened? It was the Highborne's fault, we should totally allow them back now."
    Cenarius was able to forgive the Orcs for basically killing him and destroying forests. Why couldn't the Night Elves learn from that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    Because, and while it isn't so much anymore, it was a role playing game in some form when it was released. Lore was (and still is kinda) important. It would make little sense for a forsaken to become a paladin or an orc druid.
    Excuse me, but why are Undead able to become priests? They've warriors already, and a paladin is "just" a warrior enchancing his attacks with holy light. Orcs are heavily tied to their ancestors and nature, allowing them to become shaman - so why not a druid?

Also, Goblins dont respect the elements... they bend them to their will using the mechanical totems.

Classes like warrior, rogue, hunter and monk are about "pick that weapon up and train", same with warlocks and mages - but more in the direction of studying the field. Whereas paladins, priests, druids and shaman are about the character beliefing in something and getting gifted. You can raise a DK out of any race. HELL, there are even lore characters with multiple classes... and other changing from one class to a different.

Going further into the direction, the original idea of getting a DK in early WotLK alpha/beta was that you turn your level 80 Paladin after a questline into a DK, like the first trailer proves.
    Last edited by mmoc59b5827c7e; 2012-10-10 at 12:17 AM.

That's just the worst example you could come up with. Either you are ignorant of the lore, or you're just determined to be unreasonable about it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 07:32 PM ----------

So what? There are tons of highborne night elves in Elde'thalas that are magi. They were banished ten thousand years ago. The story is allowed to progress.

If that is somehow breaking the lore for you, then Warcraft 3 should have you turning in your grave for the way it's developments changed pre established racial norms.
    Something like the Cataclysm is going to change the world, and the Alliance had about 10 years of history of working with the Highborne of Eldrethalas by the time Deathwing came around.

You're just being stubborn and making it seem like certain races can only think in certain ways. Night Elf mages make actual sense, lore is not written in stone as if the world does not develop. There was plenty of development behind the class, it almost sparked a civil war with Maive Shadowsong leading a rebellion.

It's amazing the double standard people have for Warcraft 3 compared to WOW, but perhaps you feel orcs should only be fel crazed invaders from Outland still.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 07:34 PM ----------

You're absolutely right.

So I guess you don't trust Germans after what happened only 60 years ago. EDIT lol I just noticed your location is in Germany, I would think you would maybe understand not judging a race by something their ancestors took part in. Azshara was the villain there, her highborne were manipulated, drugged, or just decadent. I mean ancient Rome was only 2000 years ago compared to 10,000 years, maybe Italy should pay reparations to the former nations of Gaul?
    Last edited by Yig; 2012-10-10 at 12:36 AM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Just imagine blizzard doing 9 races x 5 druid forms... (bearing in mind they would ever update the Moonkin form... it's taking forever since they updated Bear+Cat)

And btw, there would be combinations that wouldn't make any sense.
    - Undead druids? Spacegoat druids? Were-panda that shapeshif into bear form? Even worgen druids' lore and sense are quite weak.
    - Tauren Warlocks? I would love to play one, tbh, but that would make a total nonsense.
    - Worgen, Night elves or Undead Shamans?
    - Gnome + any class? That would be totally wrong... oh wait.
    - Dwarf Warlocks and mages are quite weird.

If they were to add new combos they would probably just use druid as it's the class with less races combinations, Human or Dwarf for alliance I guess and Blood Elves for Horde. They just went too far with some of the combinations added in Cataclysm, others fit really well, like the trolls ones. And, in my opinion, Tauren Priests are a lot more awkward than Tauren Paladins, a nature loving race having a dark corrupted side that likes to cause pain and dominate minds (Shadow Priests) is just... just NO.

Gee, even most of the Monk combinations are a mess... seriously, Ox stance, Tiger Palm, Spinning Fire Blossom or Renewing Mists are spells that don't fit at all Gnomes, Undead, Aliens or Orcs...
    Last edited by Sylar Hao; 2012-10-10 at 12:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Non-nonsensical gibberish.
    There is such thing as progressing lore without being inconsistent with it's evolution, and I'm not sure where what you're arguing since neither of us are protesting wow's evolution of the lore, only that it's being done very badly. The Night elves accepting a group and a society that NOT ONLY treated them like second class citizens pre-WOTA, but also nearly caused a global apocalypse due to their reckless practice with the arcane, is inconsistent. No other race on Azeroth has a bigger vendetta against both the Highborne AND the mage class, than the Night Elves.

Oh, and considering the Highborne and the Night elves were both immortal up until just recently. Then yeah, I wouldn't trust the same generation and nation that fostered people like Hitler, Caligula, and Azshara.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2012-10-10 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post

So what? There are tons of highborne night elves in Elde'thalas that are magi. They were banished ten thousand years ago. The story is allowed to progress.

If that is somehow breaking the lore for you, then Warcraft 3 should have you turning in your grave for the way it's developments changed pre established racial norms.
    Something like the Cataclysm is going to change the world, and the Alliance had about 10 years of history of working with the Highborne of Eldrethalas by the time Deathwing came around.

You're just being stubborn and making it seem like certain races can only think in certain ways. Night Elf mages make actual sense, lore is not written in stone as if the world does not develop. There was plenty of development behind the class, it almost sparked a civil war with Maive Shadowsong leading a rebellion.

It's amazing the double standard people have for Warcraft 3 compared to WOW, but perhaps you feel orcs should only be fel crazed invaders from Outland still.

Yeah, honestly the Night Elf Mages were probably one of the more justified of the new combos. The Night Elves had been working alongside Mages since WC3 without major incident, and it isn't like there's no precedent for a non-mainstream class options. I'm sure Tyrande is keeping the Highbourne on a far tighter leash then they were allowed under Azshara of course.

Others like Tauren Paladins or Orc Mages basically came out of nowhere. Tauren Paladins needed a whole new branch of Tauren spirituality created just for them, and while there was nothing preventing Orc Mages from existing, there was also nothing indicating they had to exist.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 01:16 AM ----------

There is such thing as progressing lore without being inconsistent with it's evolution, and I'm not sure where what you're arguing since neither of us are protesting wow's evolution of the lore, only that it's being done very badly. The Night elves accepting a group and a society that NOT ONLY treated them like second class citizens pre-WOTA, but also nearly caused a global apocalypse due to their reckless practice with the arcane, is inconsistent. No other race on Azeroth has a bigger vendetta against both the Highborne AND the mage class, than the Night Elves.

Oh, and considering the Highborne and the Night elves were both immortal up until just recently. Then yeah, I wouldn't trust the same generation and nation that fostered people like Hitler and Caligula.
    So why didn't the Night Elves refuse to work with Mages from other races? Once they've worked with Human, Gnomish, and later Draenei Mages for a good half-decade without any real problems, it's not really a big leap for them to reconsider their policy when it came to their own people. If Humans (or anyone aside from the Forsaken and Blood Elves) can tolerate Warlocks, I'm sure Night Elves can tolerate Mages.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.