Thread: Getting Bored?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
LastLast
  1. #201
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    聖ミカエル女子学園
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    But not attack either game, as you put it.

    Stating the difference between them, and what people expect.
    Stop trying to change the subject around and purposely misinterpret what I say, or what gen ot likes to call strawman. My statement was there is no need for GvG. You then state that it isn't. Now you state it isn't an attack of either game.
    What people expect is subjective to the individual.

    Either way, this is just nonsensical bickering.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Stop trying to change the subject around and purposely misinterpret what I say, or what gen ot likes to call strawman. My statement was there is no need for GvG. You then state that it isn't. Now you state it isn't an attack of either game.
    What people expect is subjective to the individual.

    Either way, this is just nonsensical bickering.
    It is you who misinterpreted. Game vs. game is completely different than individual expectations of a game compared to another game.

    I want to play a game like World of Warcraft, I'll try GW2 - 3 weeks later "Whoa GW2 is boring!"

    Again what is this site/forums centered around? I don't see a whole lot of GW2 news on the front page.

  3. #203
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    11,849
    Look dude, quit ruining an admittedly not great thread. You compared the games. It's against the rules of the forums here. Be glad you haven't been reported by multiple people yet and just move on. You gave a list of reasons to compare with, referencing or alluding to another game multiple times.

    You were called out, good day.

  4. #204
    Alright. It's time to drop this argument.

    Stay on topic. Quit the bickering. Post well.

    - Fencers

  5. #205
    Pandaren Monk WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,763
    After taking a few days off of playing GW2, I logged back on to see if I could reignite the fire and finish getting my Ranger to 80. I went to a Vista, did a Heart, and did 2 DE's before I just couldn't play anymore. The 2nd DE is what did it though, it was one of those outdoor Giants. The enemy had a bazillion life and took 10-15min to kill, but only performed 3 attacks (AoE Stomp, Rock Throw, and Terror Scream). It was amazingly boring. About 10 people were there all using ranged and trying to rez people that got caught in the Stomp's AoE. I wanted to leave it was just so mind numbingly boring. If there were interesting mechanics or if the fight was shorter then that is one thing. But just adding a stupid amount of HP doesn't make a fight more fun (to me at least).

    Even the PvP, which I did exclusively for weeks and week, is getting a bit stale. The maps are awesome and I LOVE the details in the environment. But every map is just a point capture. I would of really liked a lot more variety in terms of game objectives. I'm also disliking the Downed State mechanics more and more. Its gotten to the point where if I see more than 1 person coming then I just run because 1v2'ing is simply improbable thanks to the long channel time and variety of interrupts. I love the concept, don't get me wrong, but you just can't have those epic battles where you Rambo defend a node or outplay multiple opponents. And this, of course, just feeds into the Zerg mentality that is rewarded by the way Glory is administered.

    Anyways, I might do like some have suggested and just shelf this game for a month or so and see what happens. There are a lot of things I really like that they did with this game, and I hope other companies blatantly rip them off because I'd like to see the industry move forward in some of these directions.

  6. #206
    The enemy had a bazillion life and took 10-15min to kill, but only performed 3 attacks (AoE Stomp, Rock Throw, and Terror Scream). It was amazingly boring. About 10 people were there all using ranged and trying to rez people that got caught in the Stomp's AoE. I wanted to leave it was just so mind numbingly boring. If there were interesting mechanics or if the fight was shorter then that is one thing. But just adding a stupid amount of HP doesn't make a fight more fun (to me at least).
    The sad part is that with the mechanics being as simple as they are, if you had a ton of time on your hands and no other people around, you could just solo the event yourself.

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    After taking a few days off of playing GW2, I logged back on to see if I could reignite the fire and finish getting my Ranger to 80. I went to a Vista, did a Heart, and did 2 DE's before I just couldn't play anymore. The 2nd DE is what did it though, it was one of those outdoor Giants. The enemy had a bazillion life and took 10-15min to kill, but only performed 3 attacks (AoE Stomp, Rock Throw, and Terror Scream). It was amazingly boring. About 10 people were there all using ranged and trying to rez people that got caught in the Stomp's AoE. I wanted to leave it was just so mind numbingly boring. If there were interesting mechanics or if the fight was shorter then that is one thing. But just adding a stupid amount of HP doesn't make a fight more fun (to me at least).
    There's more than a few annoying mobs with that kind of feel to it. And don't forget the crap loot after the 10 minutes

  8. #208
    Pandaren Monk WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Maenerd View Post
    There's more than a few annoying mobs with that kind of feel to it. And don't forget the crap loot after the 10 minutes
    Yeah, 2 blue items. A Strong 1H Mace and a Something-Focus. =/

  9. #209
    Scarab Lord namelessone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    4,210
    I didn't get bored with GW2, but I quit because it felt like the game designed by hipsters for hipsters, with a community to fit the profile.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

  10. #210
    I'm bored. You really can't base an entire game around questing (which is basically what hearts/DEs are) and expect it to last forever. If I was creating a new MMO, I would make the level cap reachable in like 3 days of playing and base the entire game around raiding. Basically leveling up is a tutorial, and then you get to run around, explore new areas, kill world bosses, do raids, dungeons, solo mode dungeons, etc. Another thing that I think really made this game was stale was the fact that you only have like 5 moves.

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I didn't get bored with GW2, but I quit because it felt like the game designed by hipsters for hipsters, with a community to fit the profile.
    What.. What does this mean, exactly? Honestly, I have no idea what "a game designed by hipsters" would feel like.



    Either way, I'm still enjoying GW2. It's pretty telling that me and the missus have played this game together more than we played WoW. And we've been subbed to WoW since TBC...

    Now, I'm discounting raiding together here. Raids were too srs to count as 'playing the game together' and I was raidleading half the time to boot, which made it even less enjoyable. We never could just play WoW together, either my main was already way higher level or already did the zone she was on or we couldn't fit two tanks in the 4man group or... So many different things standing in the way of just wanting to play along with someone.

    But GW2... seeing as how we're both working now, we play together for an hour or so practically every other night. It's barely enough time to complete the daily achievements - (which you can complete anywhere thank heavens, as opposed to WoW's completely moronic system. Really, I don't even want to sound harsh, I did the same frigging firelands dailies for months and months on end. Looking back on it, it was ridiculous.) - and maybe play a sPvP match or do a jumping puzzle.

    It is still enjoyable and it's likely to remain that way for a long time. We've been playing when we can since release and we're ~ level 43 now. World completion is barely on 20%.

    I guess it just depends on whether you want a game you can sink entire days into or a game which you play sporadically.

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    If I was creating a new MMO, I would make the level cap reachable in like 3 days of playing and base the entire game around raiding.
    world of warcraft is pretty much like this

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I didn't get bored with GW2, but I quit because it felt like the game designed by hipsters for hipsters, with a community to fit the profile.
    I enjoy the mental image this represents.

  14. #214
    I didn't get bored with GW2, but I quit because it felt like the game designed by hipsters for hipsters, with a community to fit the profile.
    It's funny because every time I log in, the map chat in that zone is nothing but WoW-bashing. =D

  15. #215
    Mechagnome Hjalmtyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    U.K. England
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    world of warcraft is pretty much like this
    And that's why a lot of games with this model don't work very well. WoW is doing it better, why try a different game with the 'Hit cap in 3 days, raid for the rest' model? You're just taking a risk for the same thing but less polished. This is also why that guy hasn't made an MMO - he lacks the original ideas necessary in creating a successful MMORPG.

    Problem with the 'can't base a game on levelling' philosophy is that it's wrong, but GW2 isn't doing it well enough to prove that it's wrong. Make downlevelling harsher (as in things are tougher to kill and you get proportionate rewards) and add global events with nice rewards that encourage people to go to lower level zones and the whole 'endgame from level 1' thing works a whole lot better. Currently it's a little bit poorly implemented because it doesn't actually feel like a challenge going back to level 20 zones as a level 80 and it should feel like a challenge..
    "Do you know what it's like to fall on the floor, cry your guts out til you got no more? Hey man, now you're really livin'" - Mark Everett

    Crucilus Bloodbane - Level 80 Charr Necromancer - Zebra lord of the bank alts
    Esaari - Level 80 Asura Elementalist

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I didn't get bored with GW2, but I quit because it felt like the game designed by hipsters for hipsters, with a community to fit the profile.
    totally dude. no seriously I have no idea what a hipster game means. Do people still use the word hipster?

    Had to look it up.. so GW2 is some kind of hippie, punk grunge game?

    "hipsterism fetishizes the authentic" elements of all of the "fringe movements of the postwar era—beat, hippie, punk, even grunge," and draws on the "cultural stores of every unmelted ethnicity," and "regurgitates it with a winking inauthenticity."
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I didn't get bored with GW2, but I quit because it felt like the game designed by hipsters for hipsters, with a community to fit the profile.
    Well, I'm like, kinda a self loathing faux-hipster. So I guess it was sorta designed for me!

  18. #218
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    聖ミカエル女子学園
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Well, I'm like, kinda a self loathing faux-hipster. So I guess it was sorta designed for me!
    HIPSTER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I enjoy the mental image this represents.
    Guess I'm not the only one, lol.

    Though I think he means that it's just has a player base that are hipsters? Don't think companies can really be hipsters, but... who knows.
    Understandable to hate any game's player base. Or at least the cult player base.

  19. #219
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MAGUUMA
    Posts
    3,634
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Well, I'm like, kinda a self loathing faux-hipster. So I guess it was sorta designed for me!
    I knew there was something about you, something undefinable, mysterious and cool.

    /hipster cookies
    Morpheus: Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  20. #220
    Not sure about the hipster reference but the game definitely got boring fast. The primary reason in my opinion is the utter simplicity of the game. This is, without doubt or hesitation, the simplest MMO I have ever played (and I started playing MMO's with Meridian 59). Everything from character development to combat tactics is extremely simple to grasp and master so there just isn't any challenge. Got to lvl 80 within first month without much effort, and while it was fun, there just isn't any reason to play once you have put together your full exotic set. The WvW is rather poorly implemented and by that I mean boring and uninteresting and the dungeons are not compelling enough to run more than once or twice. So, after the fun ride to cap and gearing out, you are left with the feeling of "finishing" the game as running an alt has no appeal at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •